Page 41 of 233 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Right, but who is listening to Lobdell in the first place. Thats what says Harras to me. Didio positions himself as a lighting rod, but Harras is the EiC. Things like Ric and the day to day story directions is under his and his editors purview.
    Yup. Just because Didio is leaving doesn't mean things are going to magically get better. There's a chance, but it's far from certain.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What is the best outcome for Dick?

Incredible Member

This afternoon when most of comics twitter was talking about DiDio's firing, Devin Grayson tweeted a gif of Nightwing (from YJ) looking up and smiling.

Interpret that as you like. https://twitter.com/Gothamette/statu...33972123037697

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Dido leaving was that

Mighty Member

So which one of you put a curse on Dan? Come on, admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    So which one of you put a curse on Dan? Come on, admit it.
    It was Zatanna. She and Dick used to date in Young Justice.
    Dark does not mean deep.

You guys think Nightwing will be better since Dan is good? What stories haven’t they told that should be told ? I also wonder should any of the elsewhere stories be cannon for nightwing?

Extraordinary Member

With the possibility that their could be no comic books in say 5 years as this market continues to wither away it become very important to support your favorite character in other media, say Titans for example

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You guys think Nightwing will be better since Dan is good? What stories haven’t they told that should be told? I also wonder should any of the elsewhere stories be cannon for Nightwing?
    As I said in the previous answer, I like a story that makes sense with characterization and progression

Nightwing doesn't enjoy being Batman or secret agent, both jobs he takes because he has to, so it makes sense for him to leave the mantle and go off on his own again. Especially with Batman Incorporated's purpose, defeating Leviathan is done, and Bruce can return as Batman of Gotham instead of being an international manager.

Next, his preferred place. It's been established that he likes being among the people he wants to save, so whichever town he chooses, he will stay in a cheap apartment close to the seedy neighborhood.

So there's your groundwork. Pretty simple, but Dick is a pretty simple character. Like Superman, he wants to help people, he wants to be with people.

So with a simple character like that, the outside environment is the one that has to be complex. Whether the Court of Owls keeps trying to turn him, Blockbuster going after the people he wants to protect, cleaning BPD that's not as easy as beating up villains, Dark Web and Mr. Minos trying to mind his head for superhero information... they've even add love troubles, falling in love with the wrong sorts, allies turned on him because he's a target of villains...

but those are the ones they already did

So at least they need to add new villains that's enough of a threat for him and if not him, the people he cares about.

Also, there needs to be enough time for him to hang out with the civilians in his environment. He says he wants to be with people but often authors are too focused on the villains. It will build enough empathy with reader so when the likes of Joker come you're actually gonna be worried.

In Dixon's run, Dick is known and friends with the whole apartment, but I need to see that happening in real-time, not just to build a rep. I think Higgins did it better by making Dick hang out with his Chicago apartment-mates? I forget.

The threat can range from the mob to villains to meta. Don't be afraid to use a meta. Go big and wild. He's governing a town almost as big as Gotham. Don't be limited to just alleys and streets. Snyder sent a Kaiju on Gotham, Higgins made him fight an Acheron demon, Seeley a boatload full of villains, and Percy an internet monster. I don't mind if he has to fight a sea monster, he's been fighting aliens and demons since he was a teen.

Also, actually call his friends when he actually needs them. Don't go with I need to do this alone. Draw the difference between Nightwing and Batman by allowing a super or even a capable civilian to actually help him. If friendship, counseling, and mentorship is his strength, then let him use it. Don't be a macho solo. Establish that it's not a weakness to call for help when you need it.

Best outcome? Harras leaves. Maybe Jim Lee too, though I don't know enough about the man's business acumen or opinions to say whether he'd be good for Dick (or DC) on his own or not. Harras definitely needs to go though.

From there, one of two things; either the Bat office is told to stop their BS and treat Dick like a solo property instead of as part of Bruce's supporting cast, or Dick needs to be sent to the Super office, with the same warning about handling Nightwing as a solo IP. Bendis seems like the guy who's really in charge over there, and I think he'd do right by Dick, or at least ensure that Dick ends up in the hands of writers like Fraction and Rucka. Between the Bat office and Super office I feel like the Super one is run better right now so I'm partial to that option, but it's not gonna happen.

Whoever ends up in creative control of Dick needs to be at least a fairly popular and reliable creator, and they really need to cook the pitch and direction until it's done, crafting a status quo that is unique to Nightwing and plays to his strengths as a character and his history (not just Gotham, but his whole history). And then that creative team needs to be left alone to build and establish a world around him. It's unlikely Nightwing will jump up the sales rankings immediately (not without a huge name attached and maybe not even then) but consistently solid quality world building will win in the end, every time, and bear much sweeter fruit than a three month spike caused by some stupid shock value gimmick.

Giving Dick a leading role in a big event wouldn't hurt either, but given the "empty calories" of most events I don't think it's strictly necessary either.

But just because Didio is gone doesn't mean any of this will happen of course. Maybe someone takes over but feels the same way Didio did. Maybe someone from WB gets pulled in, knows nothing about DC, looks at the sales and reviews for Nightwing over the past 12 months, and cuts the book. Or maybe someone takes over and thinks Dick could make more money for the company, and all our dreams come true. This is why I'm saying we have to be vocal right now. Didio leaving means the higher ups are paying a bit more attention than usual. That halfway fixes one problem we've had; that Didio's bosses were too far above comics to notice or care. There's this theory in business and politics that if one person writes a letter or otherwise makes their voice heard, there's a hundred (or a thousand) who feel the exact same way that you're not hearing. So if we few make ourselves heard now, it may be assumed that we represent a lot more (and Dick's popular, so it's not just us few here on CBR) and that'll raise the odds of Dick getting his due.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Honestly the best outcome these days is probably that WB gets serious about wanting to do a Nightwing movie. In turn making the comic guys then get on the same page when it comes to the character and his brand. Leading to them investing better support, and actually trying to grow and strengthen the brand.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Someone told me in a preview Dick has a gun. Why does he need a gun?

That’s not Dick, but the older clone looking Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Honestly the best outcome these days is probably that WB gets serious about wanting to do a Nightwing movie. In turn making the comic guys then get on the same page when it comes to the character and his brand. Leading to them investing better support, and actually trying to grow and strengthen the brand.
    This is likely the most likely way to get DC to put any effort into Dick, but that's not in the hands of anyone at DC. Didio leaving doesn't really impact this too much. I mean, the comic guys can try to encourage the movie division, or whoever the hell makes these decisions, but I doubt they have much power there. They get to consult on the movies WB decides to make, but I don't think it goes much further than that.

~ Black Panther.