Page 63 of 233 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

That moment was extremely Dick Grayson, maybe more Dick than Dick had been since 2011. Dick is actually an asshole pretty often, even to people he loves. Sure, he's a great hero and leader, sure he's kind and compassionate, but yeah he's also pretty mean sometimes. That's what makes him human.

Has Dc ever been pushing his asshole too much? Also how do you guys feel about Dick often is displayed as a Cheater? I don’t know they often have for it just for plot at times. i guess to never get him into any romantic relationship. I mean often Dick is the most stable. Yea he can brood but he often is calm.

When Ric is over how should this play out? Can we just have Dick never remember this?

Dick can be a dick sure, and his world view beyond being a superhero is actually rather limited. But sometimes it’s ok to be a dick to someone. Jason fans explaining how he has prejudices and he's too quick to judge people, or is too self righteous. Well it’s not hard to read under the lines there LoL. Damian fans might disagree though. Even with Rebirth Nightwing and Shawn, his first instinct was the date her knowing she used to be a villain. For a time his supporting cast was even made up of ex-villains.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-22-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Has Dc ever been pushing his asshole too much? Also how do you guys feel about Dick often is displayed as a Cheater? I don’t know they often have for it just for plot at times. i guess to never get him into any romantic relationship. I mean often Dick is the most stable. Yea he can brood but he often is calm.

When Ric is over how should this play out? Can we just have Dick never remember this?
    He cheated one time. And there were particular circumstances to it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean often Dick is the most stable.
    Not allways, he was seeing a therapist during the NTT era, he wasn't in the best place after his wedding attempt with Starfire, he had a complete breakdown after Tarantua killed Blockbuster, he iirc quit being Nightwing after Infinite Crisis ...
    Last edited by Aahz; 03-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dick can be a dick sure, and his world view beyond being a superhero is actually rather limited. But sometimes it’s ok to be a dick to someone. Jason fans explaining how he has prejudices and he's too quick to judge people, or is too self righteous. Well it’s not hard to read under the lines there LoL. Damian fans might disagree though. Even with Rebirth Nightwing and Shawn, his first instinct was the date her knowing she used to be a villain. For a time his supporting cast was even made up of ex-villains.
    I wasn't even mentioning Jason here. He's a mess by himself, and that's actually something that most of us like about him: we see him struggling, we see him failing, and we see him still trying to make the best of himself despite of that. What Dick does or doesn't do to him isn't relevant here either. But if you want me to talk about BFTC (was that what some of you implied before?)? That was as much out of character for Dick as it was for Jason or Tim. Dick isn't that manipulative, not for hurting. If he manipulates (and he does sometimes, but he doesn't reach Tim's levels of manipulation), he does so either to teach something to someone, or to distract someone of other stuff. There, he manipulated Jason just so he would be hurt enough to win a battle. That's under what he does, more so when he still thought of Jason as someone close, way closer than any rogue out there, even if jot exactly family (something arguable). Which brings me to another thing that felt out of character in Morrison's run, even if it wasn't as dissapointing as what happened to Jason there: Dick being so hesitant about his role and performance as Batman, and him being kind of insensive to his rogues at times (they were big dicks, but Dick being how he was was, et... He's more "rightfull but quippy" than how he was). I get why Morrison was doing it, but it robbed the character of some of his appeal for me (by the means of reducing his emotional conflcist to a handfull of them, or less, and writing him too black or white. Very silveragey, which was probably what he wanted). I love Dick as Batman, though, because all in all was a very fun read (not BFTC, that book was bad, but it wasn't Morrison either, so...)

I wasn't saying that he is always holding prejudices, I was saying that he sometimes does, and that they tend to make him fail with people he actually loves. It's realistic, it happens. Liking, caring and rationally understanding Shawn's or Damian's background doesn't mean he's not going to fall into judging people bassed in his views fabricated before contact to the issue at conflict now and then. And him being a hero, a clean hero who rarely has dealt into grays (Huntress, Spiral people, Deathstroke) like @restingvoice said, is a flaw that feels realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not allways, he was seeing a therapist during the NTT era, he wasn't in the best place after his wedding attempt with Starfire, he had a complete breakdown after Tarantua killed Blockbuster, he iirc quit being Nightwing after Infinite Crisis ...
    Steph, followed by Cas and Tim are the most stable as far as I know about them (which isn't much in the case of Cass or Steph). They still have to deal with heavy issues, but they seem to less prone to break (Tim tends to obsessive behaviour, though).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-22-2020 at 05:28 PM.

He didn't quit being Nightwing after Infinite Crisis. Dick, Bruce and Tim got a year vacation. It is shown in the book called 52.

Also, seeing a therapist is actually something good, since most of this characters are scarred for life, he at least was searching for help.
    Last edited by Drako; 03-22-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He didn't quit being Nightwing after Infinite Crisis. Dick, Bruce and Tim got a year vacation. It is shown in the book called 52.

Also, seeing a therapist is actually something good, since most of this characters are scarred for life, he at least was searching for help.
    More should.
    It could do for a nice book.

Damn, Heroes in Crisis had so much potential...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I might remember it wrong but I thought he was retired at the beginning of "Nightwing: Brothers in Blood" but I might be wrong and have no desire to reread this story.

He quit after War Games. IC made him return.

Yeah, he got injured during War Games, so he quit, and Robin and Batgirl took over protecting Bludhaven... until it was destroyed a year later.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Btw. I think a comic that shows the difference between Bruce and Dicks style of Crime fighting is imo Batman Adventures Vol.2 #12.
    Agreed. Dick using the media to his advantage in his war against crime really showed the difference between him and the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Others have listed Dick's strengths. One of his weaknesses was getting along with Jason. Pre-New52, he and Jason weren't close. Especially compared to Dick with Tim and Damian. Even after coming back to life, pre or post New52, the two were never that close (though they had some good moments in the first Rebirth annual of Red Hood).

Best I can say, before the "ric" thing, the two didn't hate one another and could work together. But were not exactly close.
    Why is not getting along with Jason a weakness though?

Jason tried to kill him, Tim and shot a 10 year old boy in the spine. When Dick was captured and tortured in Forever Evil, Jason didn't lift a finger to help him but upon learning Dick was alive the first thing he did was throw a punch. Dick was recently shot in the head, the only interaction Jason has had with him is to tell him he's not part of the family, at a memorial service for Alfred no less. He has no reason to like Jason. How is it that Dick is always held accountable for their poor relationship but Jason gets a pass?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When Bruce redefined the Batfam after his return in... #500? Damian asked that means he and Dick had to separate, and he said no since they work together so well and can guard Gotham while he's off collecting Batman from all over the world.

But we also know that Nightwing doesn't like capes if he can help it and he doesn't like to be Batman. He was very reluctant. At the same time, he'll be Batman if Bruce needs him, and he doesn't have Bludhaven anymore.

So if there's never a reboot, would Nightwing ever quit being Batman and left Damian with Bruce? Even with Leviathan defeated, Talia and Damian...

Oooh... there it is. I bet he'll quit after Damian died.