Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
This worked well at the time, but it was because Laura was a direct contrast to everything Daken stood for in his solo series. He was a snake, shady, shifty and untrustworthy. He was all about himself. But when it came to Laura, we saw hints of a different side, (collision was epic) this wasn’t really explored properly and from a writing standpoint, It really Did nothing for his character arc
We saw that different side when he was working with Laura later too in Wolverines, then in All-New Wolverine. Maybe it’s still not fully explored, but there are more cases than Collision where Daken showed a more positive side of himself when he was around Laura and they’re canonically much closer to each other now then around Collision. And I disagree, probably this did the most for the character; since he hasn’t been used only as a pile of daddy issues who just an insufferable plot device for Logan*, but someone who might be capable of some growth (X-Men Blue, ANW), he gained some traction and interest and created new possibilities for him, which I think what makes it possible that he’s used as a regular character on a team again and not being a forgotten character.

*when he was a snake shaky character doing whatever he wanted (Dark Avengers, Madripoor, Los Angeles) that was awesome. But after Dark Reign and his solo series ended it became obvious that the writers didn’t know what to do with him, and he just became Logan’s punching bag and a disposable character who was destined to have one role only, to die over and over… I’m glad that’s over and that he has a new perspective now.

What I’m trying to say is if He becomes a good boyAnd some rule following ambassador for diversity then he’s relation with Laura will mean nothing, and as far as I’m concerned, that means the writers have done a complete 180 without any real justification and he’ll now be considered a different character.
-Why would Laura mean nothing to him? Like I said above they’re closer to each other than ever, she is probably the most important person in Daken’s life by current canon. And doing some good with/for Laura -and vice versa- is what cemented it, not their differences.
-He doesn’t necessarily have to become a rule following good boy or to have a complete 180 turn. He isn’t dumb, he can still work with others and be useful, just like most villains on Krakoa. And like others already said this: he can be good to his sister(and maybe to some others?), but he can still be an asshole in general.

And for those saying he was offensive, I feel like that was the point of Daken, he was meant to be ruthless scum. That’s who he was imo and that’s what made him interesting
true, that was the point of the character and that’s what made him interesting. Daniel Way even said in an interview that if people hate this character or if he creates strong feelings, then everything went according to the plans. What I meant by offensive wasn’t the character, but how Marvel handled bixesuality specifically at the time. But this is another topic. Probably today when representation is more important, this part will be handled a bit more carefully and differently.