Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default My Name is Akihiro! - Daken Akihiro Appreciation 2020

* I kept the previous thread description because I made that thread not long ago

Son of Wolverine / Dark Wolverine

1. Daken is one of the few LGBT – bisexual characters in the comics

2. Often seems to be forgotten that he is half Japanese, looking like his mother and nothing like Logan. He was born in Japan sometime after the second World War. His mother Itsu was killed before he was even born and his father didn't know he was alive for decades.

3. Real name: Akihiro - the only name we know about, his family name was never revealed.
      Daken is not a name, it’s a Japanese word for mongrel - 駄犬
      Correct pronunciation: Dah-ken, not Day-ken
      He accepted the 'name' Daken and it is what he goes by now, but it used to be what others bullied him with. The title of the thread is reffering to that.

1. He is known the most by his hatred towards his father, Logan and the numerous attempt of killing him, which ultimately lead to his own death. First his hate was nurtured by years of lies, but later the source of it transformed into the fact that Logan wasn't there to raise him or prevent his tortured past. He was raised to hate his father, to be a cold assasin, and was taught to care only about himself.
      The only exception seems to be Laura Kinney(X-23) his sister who has a similar upbringing and past like him. She is the only person who he has genuine respect for, and later they formed a closer familial relationship with each other. Upon their first meeting they realized that they are in a way very much alike, but in other ways they are the exact opposite of each other, which raised the right questions for both of them.

2. Favorite quote – There used to be more to him than just hate to define him and his life, but as he couldn't overcome it, it became the reason of his failure in life.

"I tried. I tried to forget, I tried to move on. I fought with myself all these years because I am not a dumb man. I know that hate devours, and it decays, and I now that at the end of my life I do not want to be the man who hated, and hated well. I want to be the man who loved. I want to be the man who others speak of with passion instead of pity. I want that so badly. But here I am. Hot with hate. Hate for him. Wolverine. Damn him, God. Please, damn him."

Reading list:
    -Dark Wolverine – solo series
    -Daken: Dark Wolverine – solo series
    -Wolverine: Origins
    -Dark Avengers
    -Uncanny X-Force/Uncanny Avengers
    -Death of Wolverine: Logan Legacy/Wolverines (2015)
    -Iceman (2017)
    -All-New Wolverine
    -X-Men Blue
    -Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer/Return of Wolverine

Previous appreciation threads:
    1. Watching the World Burn; DAKEN APPRECIATION THREAD
    2. My Name is Akihiro! - Daken Akihiro Appreciation 2019

Latest appearance:
    Supposedly he was resurrected on Krakoa; he showed up with other villains to join the new nation.

mlWQHRom_o.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -
    Status on Krakoa
    - - - - - - - - - -

1. He will probably be showing up in the new Wolverine series(2020) next according to the writer.

Logan has never been in a better place. He has a home. He’s surrounded by his family. I’m talking about Daken and X-23...
    2. He's going to be a regular character on Krakoa's new investigation team:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21...-leah-williams

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...factor-returns

MUTANTS HAVE CONQUERED DEATH!

By the grace of The Five, the resurrection protocols can bring back any fallen mutant. But such a huge enterprise isn’t without its problems and complications… When a mutant dies, X–Factor is there to investigate how and why to keep the rules of reincarnation. Writer Leah Williams (AMAZING MARY JANE, X–TREMISTS) and artist David Baldeón (DOMINO, WEB WARRIORS) take Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken and Prestige into the world of murder and missing persons…
    Last edited by DAHX; 01-14-2020 at 07:42 AM.

And some new fanart

artist Dima Ivanov
    Last edited by DAHX; 01-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    And some new fanart

Amazing art~ The blue outfit design, was it base off Kevin's Wada's Daken outfits?

BANNED

Like the one with Laura and Daken.

Does he go by the code name “Mongrel”?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Technically, yes. That's what 'Daken' means in Japanese. His actual name is Akihiro. Fans like to call him Akihiro Howlett, but he's never been referred with Wolverine's surname on panel.

Happy New Year to Daken .

Quote Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
    Amazing art~ The blue outfit design, was it base off Kevin's Wada's Daken outfits?
    Yes, the blue ninja look

https://twitter.com/kevinwada/status...73944881610752

Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yes, but as a name, not a codename… No one used his real name Akihiro when he was growing up and just called him mongrel because of his mixed heritage and it stuck.

There’s this explanation in narrative, but I still can’t believe that today Marvel has a biracial character going by a racist slur… This should have been changed a long time ago. Some people refuse to use the ‘name’ Daken and just call him Akihiro instead. Marvel should take note
    Be kind, it's FREE

Double posting this in this topic and the Laura topic because it made me laugh.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Daken is slightly redundant (Wolverine, X-23, Sabretooth are already 3 characters who are highly similar) but if a book needs or wants another type like this he works in a more subversive/morally dangerous capacity.

Plus he leans more into the spycraft element as opposed to the raw brutal force side of the Wolvie characters.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Daken is slightly redundant (Wolverine, X-23, Sabretooth are already 3 characters who are highly similar) but if a book needs or wants another type like this he works in a more subversive/morally dangerous capacity.

Plus he leans more into the spycraft element as opposed to the raw brutal force side of the Wolvie characters.
    What myself and a lot of his fans would like to see is to see him, Laura and Gabby together in a Wolverine book. He's different from Sabretooth in his father-son dynamic with Wolverine. Though we don't want to see it as more daddy-issues fighting and killing each other.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

hes cool, i feel represented thanks to him ,lol. hoping he became biger this year
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Besides the Wolverine solo maybe there’s a chance for Daken to show up in Excalibur by what Marcus To tweeted recently (and liked when someone guessed Daken). And Tini Howard's also a Daken fan so maaaybe

I’m here for any appearances, but mostly I want him to be a permanent character on a team not just guest appearances.

What would everyone like to see for Daken this year? What role and what book?
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Besides the Wolverine solo maybe there’s a chance for Daken to show up in Excalibur by what Marcus To tweeted recently (and liked when someone guessed Daken). And Tini Howard's also a Daken fan so maaaybe

I’m here for any appearances, but mostly I want him to be a permanent character on a team not just guest appearances.

What would everyone like to see for Daken this year? What role and what book?
    I have no idea what you're talking about with the Marcus tweet. Excalibur was super boring for me, and I'm not interested in watching everyone follow Apocalypse like lost sheep.

At this point I'm so jaded about the current status quo I don't even know if I want him to show up. I would prefer him to show up in Wolverine so we can get his daddy issues taken care of.