Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
It’s as hard as drawing Caucasian men... But even if it was harder, that can’t be an excuse for not drawing a Japanese character Japanese? That’s the job of an artist. And Asian artists exist too, I’m sure they don’t draw only white characters because Asian characters are hard...
- Daken is half Japanese, but he is Asian-passing. Logan himself said he looks like his mother, so he should not look white(or like Logan). Saying that he’s half white so it’s ok if he doesn’t look Asian just sounds like another excuse for whitewashing.

No, he doesn’t. the whole point of his original character design is that he doesn’t look like Logan with any of his features, he looks actually the exact opposite of him. The only thing that Daken has from Logan is his blue eyes, which doesn’t make any sense, but hey, let’s have something from Logan too.

---
A lot of artist gave up and didn’t bother, but I think that was just pure laziness. it’s always been an issue with Daken, he was almost never been drawn like an Asian character. And most of the time it’s been an issue with other Asian characters too in general. For Daken it can be said that ‘he’s half white anyway’, but I think it’s just to justify that laziness. We don’t know yet what it will be like in X-factor, but this is why taking away one of his previously Japanese features and making him bulky bothering me a little. But aside from the bulkiness, he can still be portrayed as an Asian character, so I’ll wait for the book to really form an opinion about it.
I just don't think it's pure laziness.

And if you look at the art, he was often drawn to sort of lool like Logan. And their similar bodytypes was even commented on by Laura in Collision.

And it's not that he looked like Logan's opposite, it's that he was trying to make himself different from Logan completely. It's why he concocted elaborate plans and went to operas and enjoyed fancy suits. Sure, he did seem to enjoy all of those things but he was also working very hard to not be like Logan in terms of personality or looks.

But we always had the idea that Daken was lying to himself. He'd go on beserker rages similar to Wolverine, we would find him just hanging out in seedy bars like Wolverine, he'd get plastered like Wolverine, and this all finally culminates in Wolverines where we discover that he looks exactly like Logan when he lets himself go and he's at his lowest.

So him looking like Logan here is a very important visual so long as Leah has the story move in the direction that Daken is trying to change himself and a way to do that is to model himself on Wolverine. Or he's doing it to lull the others into a false sense of security.