Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I'm far from an expert on Daken, but it seeems to me that a character who regularly uses his sexuality as a form of manipulation would spend a pretty significant amount of time making sure he had what many people would consider to be the most desirable body type.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I don't like Daken portrayed ad a "bad boy with a good heart", he shouldn't be written like his father. Please give me back the degenerate, sadistic yet still lovable SOB from the Dark Wolverine run.
    It does seem like most of the villains have been heavily neutered since coming to Krakoa (Sinister being the sole exception), but I think that is definitely intentional. Guys like Daken are just trying to find their place in the new status quo and are basically in a utopia...so makes sense they'd be less rough around the edges.

That said, I thought Daken still came off as an ******* largely trying to cure his own boredom in issue 1.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

Not to brag, but my theory about Daken being depressed is now correct, per Word of God I'm just so stoked that Leah decided to engage with my tweet, she's being so secretive about the plot!

AKA he's not an "******* trying to cure his boredom", he's working through pain and worry concerning Laura's fate and was wildly relating to Northstar about Aurora's death.
    Last edited by gealach; 07-31-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    I seek words of such surpassing beauty that they might melt the hardest heart of stone. - Jacqueline Carey

Daken had already stopped being a villain since before Krakoa, and now that Krakoa has normalized villains living amongst them and being members of their society, that just makes it even more logical for him to be there chilling and trying to make the most of it. I thought his use throughout the whole issue was great, he might not be invidually spotlighted as much as JP and Lorna, but he's present throughout the whole issue and they never let us forget about him. I don't mind the beefyness too much.

He was the best part of X-Factor, which was kind of all over the place. His characterization felt on-point, though his design makes no sense whatsoever. He looked like himself in X-Force. How and why is him putting on 30 lbs of muscle a 'characterization point'? Feels like an attempt on the artist to justify their bad decisions. Art as a whole was pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    He was the best part of X-Factor, which was kind of all over the place. His characterization felt on-point, though his design makes no sense whatsoever. He looked like himself in X-Force. How and why is him putting on 30 lbs of muscle a 'characterization point'? Feels like an attempt on the artist to justify their bad decisions. Art as a whole was pretty weak.
    I guess i can understand to an extent to why some people have some contention towards Dakens design or rather his physique but i personally dont see anything wromg with it. Through out the years Dakens bin depicted as pretty ripped usually fluctuating between the beefy style as recently seen in X-factor to what we saw in all new wolverine which wasnt too drastic a change really

I enjoyed this issue but still don't like the Daken redesign. The beefy build just makes me see Logan with a man bun & a bad tribal tattoo. Maybe if it runs long enough another artist will step in for other issues/arcs & well get the more lithe yet deadly design. Other than that it was a decent start & I actually enjoyed Rachel, which is a hard thing for me.

Astonishing Member

I could picture Daken and Shinobi Shaw knowing each other in the past during one of Shinobi's "parties" during the 90s Upstart era

A new Daken character will be added to Marvel Puzzle Quest game:

WOLVERINE (SAMURAI DAKEN)
    5-Star Rarity
    Affiliations: Heroes, Mutants

"When Akihiro murdered Wolverine with the Muramasa Blade, its mystical powers sent him back in time to feudal Japan as punishment. Filled with regret, Akihiro saw a chance to change his ways and become a hero. He roamed Japan in his father's name, perfecting his own brand of Iaido that combined the power of blade and claw."

Now, that's a story I'd love to read in the comics! I wish that was a real cover.
    Be kind, it's FREE

OK, THAT'S super cool!

Marvel.com also announcing Samurai Daken
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/game...-samurai-daken

And in another article they explain they wanted to use a Japanese character for Logan's Japanese connection:
    Marvel Games Comic Connection: Wolverine and Daken

"Marvel Puzzle Quest sees the debut of an all-new, alt-reality version of Daken, the sinister son of Wolverine. The creation of this new version of the character began when our friends at D3Go expressed an interest to spotlight Logan’s well-known appreciation for the noble history and tranquil beauty of Japan. Wanting to avoid appropriating their culture by simply adding “samurai fashion” to Wolverine, we discussed how we could celebrate Daken’s personal Japanese heritage. But where and when did Wolverine begin his love of Japan, leading to the birth of his half-Japanese son Daken? Let’s dig into the Marvel Games Comic Connection!"

They finally acknowledging and emphasising Daken's Japanese heritage(an actual Japanese character) instead of just making Logan the samurai for once! Marvel comics, please take note!
    Be kind, it's FREE

To repeat myself, that is super cool

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Marvel.com also announcing Samurai Daken
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/game...-samurai-daken

And in another article they explain they wanted to use a Japanese character for Logan's Japanese connection:
    Marvel Games Comic Connection: Wolverine and Daken

"Marvel Puzzle Quest sees the debut of an all-new, alt-reality version of Daken, the sinister son of Wolverine. The creation of this new version of the character began when our friends at D3Go expressed an interest to spotlight Logan’s well-known appreciation for the noble history and tranquil beauty of Japan. Wanting to avoid appropriating their culture by simply adding “samurai fashion” to Wolverine, we discussed how we could celebrate Daken’s personal Japanese heritage. But where and when did Wolverine begin his love of Japan, leading to the birth of his half-Japanese son Daken? Let’s dig into the Marvel Games Comic Connection!"

They finally acknowledging and emphasising Daken's Japanese heritage(an actual Japanese character) instead of just making Logan the samurai for once! Marvel comics, please take note!
    The comics have used it occasionally. IE his focus issue of Logan Legacy, when he gave his father a traditional Japanese funeral.

Prediction time! (with spoilers from X-Factor #2)

With Akihiro omitting to mention to the rest of the team that Aurora had been seeing a man for a week at the motel, and now with his crashing the audition (I think) on purpose and with his very loud and obvious statements about where Aurora is currently located, I predict that he’s investigating on his own and trying to track down the people who put the hit on Aurora. I predict things will come to a head in the next issue or perhaps issue #5 (issue #4 will be an X of Swords tie-in) and he’ll present the culprits to Aurora or maybe stop them from attacking her in the Boneyard. There’s also the fact that Baldeon said on Twitter a while back that he was working on a "beautifully written lovely scene” with Daken.

Another really interesting thing is that we see Aurora call him ‘Akihiro’ when earlier in the issue he introduced himself as Daken, so either he told her off-panel or she read some bio (or Leah forgot...). I’d like the first option but I’m not so sure. I’d certainly prefer it if Daken’s decision to ask others to call him Akihiro wasn’t an off-panel occurrence.
    I seek words of such surpassing beauty that they might melt the hardest heart of stone. - Jacqueline Carey