Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I definitely don’t want “Daddy Issues Daken” for the nth time. The past is the past and hopefully Daken gets that. Also for anyone wondering, here’s the post and the liked comments:

https://twitter.com/marcusto/status/...009664006?s=21
    https://twitter.com/joceyk2/status/1...290113024?s=21
    https://twitter.com/thewitchersbian/...696020993?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I definitely don’t want “Daddy Issues Daken” for the nth time. The past is the past and hopefully Daken gets that. Also for anyone wondering, here’s the post and the liked comments:

https://twitter.com/marcusto/status/...009664006?s=21
    https://twitter.com/joceyk2/status/1...290113024?s=21
    https://twitter.com/thewitchersbian/...696020993?s=21
    Thanks for linking the tweets. I just want closure on the daddy issues and then for them to never come up again.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Thanks for linking the tweets. I just want closure on the daddy issues and then for them to never come up again.
    Yeah, I guess they haven’t really had a non-Death Seed corrupted talk since Logan drowned him in a puddle. I hope Daken at least had some sort of healing when he had to superspeed through at least five years of therapy in minutes to get his healing factor working during ‘Orphans of X’. It’s true that they at least have to have a talk or maybe just something in general to show Daken that Logan loves him.

Yeah, I guess they haven’t really had a non-Death Seed corrupted talk since Logan drowned him in a puddle. I hope Daken at least had some sort of healing when he had to superspeed through at least five years of therapy in minutes to get his healing factor working during ‘Orphans of X’. It’s true that they at least have to have a talk or maybe just something in general to show Daken that Logan loves him.
    Don't forget Daken going way out of his way to get some of Logan's remains from a villain auction and give them a proper Japanese burial.

BANNED

TBH, I'm not holding out hope. Marvel couldn't even give us a proper reunion between Logan and Laura, the kid he LIKES. I don't see anyone actually doing the leg work on reconciling him with Daken. Either Daken is going to be hard reset back to being a bastard, or they're just going to skip over their reunion and expect us to just accept whatever new status quo they want us to accept.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Really can't see Daken and Gabby getting along

Agree that they probably want to preserve Daken as a possible foe for Logan to do battle against and so are unlikely to "develop" their relationship

Daken/Laura coming to a mutual appreciation is gonna have to be it probably
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I’m indifferent to Excalibur, it’s not the place I imagined Daken, more like Marauders but having a female writer who loves him is a good thing (male writers tend to screw him up…) And that they didn’t forget his Japanese heritage makes me really happy! (if it’s Daken who Marcus was referring to) Give me some good Asian Daken!

I definitely don’t want “Daddy Issues Daken” for the nth time. The past is the past and hopefully Daken gets that.
    I just want closure on the daddy issues and then for them to never come up again.
    Yes! I soo badly want to see Logan and Daken in a new and preferably better place! Trying to be family or something. See them talk. Anything but the overused daddy issues, I'm so tired of that! it’s unbelievable that Logan still knows almost nothing about Daken and his life. Since his very first appearance in the comics, every time they met they just fought each other… I want to see some progress! Sadly no writer bothered with that before, only repeated what we’ve seen so many times already. It's been 14 years, try something new please.

It’s true that they at least have to have a talk or maybe just something in general to show Daken that Logan loves him.
    It’s so frustrating that Logan had many inner monologues about how he wishes to know his son better and wanting him to get better, but every time they talk to each other they just being mean and fight. Idiots. Logan should find a way of how to reach out to his son and Daken, who admitted that he just wanted to have parents who loved him finally accept that he still has one parent that cares about him, he just needs to stop being so stubborn and angry, and try to be a little bit less evil lol (which he already did while Logan was dead)

Don't forget Daken going way out of his way to get some of Logan's remains from a villain auction and give them a proper Japanese burial.
    And he also made a shrine for both, Logan and his mother in Okinawa - Logan should know about that! And that Daken wasn’t exactly happy when he died, he felt guilty instead and threatened others who disrespected Logan. He also formed a closer sibling relationship with Laura as his only family while Logan was dead. There were some improvements there, Percy could continue it. And Daken really should've learned from his past mistakes by now....
    I’d also love to see Logan's reaction that Daken joined an x-men team, wearing an x-men uniform lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    TBH, I'm not holding out hope. Marvel couldn't even give us a proper reunion between Logan and Laura, the kid he LIKES. I don't see anyone actually doing the leg work on reconciling him with Daken. Either Daken is going to be hard reset back to being a bastard, or they're just going to skip over their reunion and expect us to just accept whatever new status quo they want us to accept.
    At this point the reunions don’t matter anymore as they’re all have been living on Krakoa for a while now and probably have been together. The first time we’ll see them in the Wolverine solo, we’ll be past that reunion. But Percy suggested a positive status quo for all of them, and I’ll be happy with that if it really happens. Their reunion might not have happened on panel, but just show their relationships, that’s all I want.

Laura will be in X-Force too and she’s wearing a Wolverine costume again, so I think not everything is lost, I’m being hopeful again.
    I usually don’t trust male writers to use Daken, they’re always fixating on his daddy issues and ignore everything else and don’t try to build a connection between them, but Percy might take a different route this time according to his interviews. But I have my worries too about getting hard reset back to just being a bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Agree that they probably want to preserve Daken as a possible foe for Logan to do battle against and so are unlikely to "develop" their relationship
    Percy said Logan will be surrounded by his family, Laura and Daken, and will be happy with having what he always wanted. He also promised that he’s not going to recycle and do the same old stories, so I think there’s hope for developing their relationship.
    Be kind, it's FREE

What I want to see:

• Laura-Daken team up of course. That’s always the best
    • Logan-Daken making amends – NO MORE DADDY ISSUES! And no more using Daken only as an evil throw away plot to give Logan some man pain
    • Bisexual representation: finally a good way of using Daken’s bisexuality – no more depraved manipulative bisexual trope, using it only for showing how evil he is…
    • Japanese outfits & artists not forgetting to draw him Asian
    • him being on a team please!
    Be kind, it's FREE

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    What I want to see:

• Laura-Daken team up of course. That’s always the best
    • Logan-Daken making amends – NO MORE DADDY ISSUES! And no more using Daken only as an evil throw away plot to give Logan some man pain
    • Bisexual representation: finally a good way of using Daken’s bisexuality – no more depraved manipulative bisexual trope, using it only for showing how evil he is…
    • Japanese outfits & artists not forgetting to draw him Asian
    • him being on a team please!
    Yes to all of the above, particularly Laura.
    I’d like to see him on a team with Kurt; that would be such an interesting contrast of personalities (and would drive Logan nuts, so, bonus points for that too).

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Percy said Logan will be surrounded by his family, Laura and Daken, and will be happy with having what he always wanted. He also promised that he’s not going to recycle and do the same old stories, so I think there’s hope for developing their relationship.
    Oh really. Hm. Well so be it then. I guess that would lead into another of my qualms with Dawn of X overall which is sort of the weird brushing aside/ignoring of what should be many natural conflicts and tensions.

Like if you want Logan and Daken to get to know one another it needs to be done more gradually IMO and not just have them suddenly be laughing at each dad jokes etc much the way the books have (abruptly) gotten Jean/Emma to seem like best buddies or now Emma/Kate too. It feels artificial to me and smooths over way too many things (That's why I put the word "Development" of relationship in quotes, there is an assumption sometimes by fans that having characters get along great is always a Progression but is it? Depends to me)

If we're going to "Develop" relationships like this it turns into a question of fan favoritism/popularity because why not "Develop" Logan/Creed for that matter? And when will Logan and Raven "Develop"? Etc

I am definitely in favor of a more subtle or detailed characterization for Daken but on the other hand I do not think we need to remove his antagonism towards his father completely nor his past of abusing his pheromone abilities. These are part of his traits, he needs to be showcased and grown as a character over time in storytelling not by just removing innate aspects and making him more of a blank slate and "likable". It feels like lobotomizing depends on how abruptly it's done
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-07-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

After Excalibur today I'm honestly dreading him showing up in the series, if that is what the author is hinting at. He could be a love interest for Rictor (Shatterstar appears to have dissolved into thin air) or a lackey for Apocalypse. Maybe tie into the Death Seed thing that should have been put away after the meh Iceman series.

Apparently 2020 is the year when Daken finally returns!
    I’m so happy one of my wishes has come true for him!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21...-leah-williams

MUTANTS HAVE CONQUERED DEATH!

By the grace of The Five, the resurrection protocols can bring back any fallen mutant. But such a huge enterprise isn’t without its problems and complications… When a mutant dies, X–Factor is there to investigate how and why to keep the rules of reincarnation. Writer Leah Williams (AMAZING MARY JANE, X–TREMISTS) and artist David Baldeón (DOMINO, WEB WARRIORS) take Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken and Prestige into the world of murder and missing persons…

If threads on cbr were still allowed to have long titles, this thread should be renamed to ‘Daken Akihiro - fucky thot enforcer’ - Leah Williams' description of him
    Be kind, it's FREE

Really happy for him. And those are 3 LGBT men on the team which is a first for any Big 2 ongoing after Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers I guess? Leah Williams' run on Amazing Mary Jane has been really fun so far for the direction she chose to take with that book. This seems to be a real romp as well.

Apparently 2020 is the year when Daken finally returns!
    I’m so happy one of my wishes has come true for him!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21...-leah-williams

MUTANTS HAVE CONQUERED DEATH!

By the grace of The Five, the resurrection protocols can bring back any fallen mutant. But such a huge enterprise isn’t without its problems and complications… When a mutant dies, X–Factor is there to investigate how and why to keep the rules of reincarnation. Writer Leah Williams (AMAZING MARY JANE, X–TREMISTS) and artist David Baldeón (DOMINO, WEB WARRIORS) take Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken and Prestige into the world of murder and missing persons…

If threads on cbr were still allowed to have long titles, this thread should be renamed to ‘Daken Akihiro - fucky thot enforcer’ - Leah Williams' description of him
    Holy crap, this is amazing~ I'm stoke~ And look at this, Daken and Lorna on a team again. Also, this would be the first time the son of Wolverine and the daughter of Cyclops ever met. I don't think I've seen Daken and Rachel interact with each other before, so this is awesome~ Eye ball is a waste of space, tho.