Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    Glad to see this thread return. I just hope they give the guy a stronger purpose. And keep him edgy. He was so much fun in Daken dark wolverine and dark avengers. Since then he’s gone from bad to good to dead to cripple back to dead and back to cripple again. He just needs a voice, I used to not even label him as Bi, he was just crazy and if he needed to, he’d sleep with a sheep to get what he wanted. That was exciting to read about. I love sheep.

As for the new look, I loved the skinny thing before, it suited his snake like personality, he kind of looks samurai here, which I guess is damn cool if he goes down that road
    Uhh, he really had some bad years… It looks like with X-Factor (and previously X-Men Blue, All-New Wolverine) he’s taking another direction and leaving his Dark Wolverine self behind, though he’s still gonna be edgy I suppose I think his bisexuality will be approached differently too.
    And yes, the samurai look is damn cool and fitting for him! He did have samurai training after all
    Be kind, it's FREE

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Uhh, he really had some bad years… It looks like with X-Factor (and previously X-Men Blue, All-New Wolverine) he’s taking another direction and leaving his Dark Wolverine self behind, though he’s still gonna be edgy I suppose I think his bisexuality will be approached differently too.
    And yes, the samurai look is damn cool and fitting for him! He did have samurai training after all
    When it comes to his bisexuality, Daken was sort of a pioneer as a character. Nowadays we can look back on portrayal as being pretty damn offensive, but at the time, he was one of very few openly bisexual characters period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    When it comes to his bisexuality, Daken was sort of a pioneer as a character. Nowadays we can look back on portrayal as being pretty damn offensive, but at the time, he was one of very few openly bisexual characters period.
    He was! At least there was a good side of it too. but yeah, the whole way it was handled was pretty offensive, thats why I don’t think his bisexuality will be portrayed like that these days when representation is so important, but I’m more than happy if we leave the bad bisexual tropes behind and if he finally gets some good rep

Also I 100% agree with this:

I didn't actually mind Daken's story as we have it. I think all the death and lost limbs and just butt monkey status has made a heroic turn possible. If he hadn't been put through a blender, he just wouldn't be able to be used like this.

I don't want him to totally lose his edge, I want him to be an ******* and a jerk, but I'm ready for him to settle down a little.
    Without having his ass handed to him he would still be arrogant and full of himself who thinks he can do anything and destroy anyone he wants. I’d love to see if this was addressed, and that his current status is a result of that. him acknowledging that maybe some of his life choices weren’t good and it’s time to calm down.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Here's an odd thought: I don't think Daken would get along with Shinobi Shaw. They have a bit in common, but I can see Daken being dismissive of Shinobi, because he's SO MUCH of a hedonist that he's pretty ineffectual.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Here's an odd thought: I don't think Daken would get along with Shinobi Shaw. They have a bit in common, but I can see Daken being dismissive of Shinobi, because he's SO MUCH of a hedonist that he's pretty ineffectual.
    The two of them would just despise each other after a minute.

??? did you read Daken’s solo? His second name should be hedonist!
    Compared to Daken Shinobi did nothing, he should hide in embarrassment if he knew half of what Daken used to do lol
    Be kind, it's FREE

BANNED

He was! At least there was a good side of it too. but yeah, the whole way it was handled was pretty offensive, thats why I don’t think his bisexuality will be portrayed like that these days when representation is so important, but I’m more than happy if we leave the bad bisexual tropes behind and if he finally gets some good rep

Also I 100% agree with this:

Without having his ass handed to him he would still be arrogant and full of himself who thinks he can do anything and destroy anyone he wants. I’d love to see if this was addressed, and that his current status is a result of that. him acknowledging that maybe some of his life choices weren’t good and it’s time to calm down.
    I'd still like to think Laura would have continued to be a positive influence on him, as them developing a mutual respect and semi-functional relationship predates him getting his ass handed to him.

??? did you read Daken’s solo? His second name should be hedonist!
    Compared to Daken Shinobi did nothing, he should hide in embarrassment if he knew half of what Daken used to do lol
    When he was in full-on hedonism mode he was in a really low place. And even then he was accomplishing things like taking over the San Francisco underworld. Shinobi just partied and ruined the Hellfire club.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'd still like to think Laura would have continued to be a positive influence on him, as them developing a mutual respect and semi-functional relationship predates him getting his ass handed to him.
    It's more like they had one good event where the two of them met and came away with mutual respect, which was pretty big for Daken since no other character had even that small of a positive effect on him at that time. Their relationship wasn't really cemented until Wolverines, which is really where we saw them grow close and where Laura really had a positive impact on him.

With what's happening with Laura and that Vault, I do question what their relationship is going to be going forward. I have this bad feeling that we're gonna end up wjth a situation where Laura has to be put down and given what X-Factor sort of is, that would probably fall on them.
    When he was in full-on hedonism mode he was in a really low place. And even then he was accomplishing things like taking over the San Francisco underworld. Shinobi just partied and ruined the Hellfire club.
    Daken has shown a disdain for people who are even worse than he is. That being said, poor Shinobi has bet on the wrong horse when it comes to helping Shaw against Emma, so I'm not sure how long he'll be around.

Daken disdained Marcus Roston, Bullseye and to be honest everyone else who wasn't him lol, but he still wanted something from them because it was beneficial for him. He didn't care. Similarly with Gambit, he wanted him on his side to be bad guys together. If Daken had met Shinobi back then, he would've jumped on the opportunity to do **** together and not dismiss him for hedonism which was something that Daken was actively doing too.
    These days it seems like both of them are very different from what they used to be and hedonism isn't a part of either of their lives, so I don't know if it would be a reason to turn Shinobi down?

Laura was definitely a main factor in his progress, but that happened after his failures and death. When Daken had his (self)destructive period he and Laura wasn't close yet, and I think he wasn't in a condition where he would've let her or anyone help him.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Extraordinary Member

Again, I do believe that Daken is someone to watch out for, I'm just not sure he'd go with Shaw and Shinobi at the moment. Not because of the hedonism thing, but because what they're offering isn't particularly impressive. And since it seems like he's at least trying to make this new life course work, I'm not sure they would really want to use him. Of course, there's also his telepathic resistance, which would mke him very valuable against Emma, but again, what exactly do they have to offer him?

Of course, we've seen very little of Daken over the padt few months. We aren't even sure if he was brought back via the Five or if he just came back, as he does.

Again, I do believe that Daken is someone to watch out for, I'm just not sure he'd go with Shaw and Shinobi at the moment. Not because of the hedonism thing, but because what they're offering isn't particularly impressive. And since it seems like he's at least trying to make this new life course work, I'm not sure they would really want to use him. Of course, there's also his telepathic resistance, which would mke him very valuable against Emma, but again, what exactly do they have to offer him?

Of course, we've seen very little of Daken over the padt few months. We aren't even sure if he was brought back via the Five or if he just came back, as he does.
    yeah, I feel like something like this would be a real reason. what Shinobi or the Hellfire Club has to offer at this moment isn't really appealing and Daken has no reason to get involved with either of them or be interested in Shinobi. and well, I'm really excited to see Daken in a new position that we've never seen before, and having more connection with heroes.

"or if he just came back, as he does." - lol true
    I can't wait to see some of our questions getting answered in X-Factor, like how he came back. In the last couple of years he was occasionally showing up here and there and his appearances were so disconnected, it felt like you missed reading a comic with him where something important happened. Now that he's a regular character again there's enough space for some character development and continuity finally
    Be kind, it's FREE

This worked well at the time, but it was because Laura was a direct contrast to everything Daken stood for in his solo series. He was a snake, shady, shifty and untrustworthy. He was all about himself. But when it came to Laura, we saw hints of a different side, (collision was epic) this wasn’t really explored properly and from a writing standpoint, It really Did nothing for his character arc

What I’m trying to say is if He becomes a good boyAnd some rule following ambassador for diversity then he’s relation with Laura will mean nothing, and as far as I’m concerned, that means the writers have done a complete 180 without any real justification and he’ll now be considered a different character.

And for those saying he was offensive, I feel like that was the point of Daken, he was meant to be ruthless scum. That’s who he was imo and that’s what made him interesting

I'm fine with him being more of a good guy around Laura and Gabby but still a jackass on his own. He can be that ******* family member who you still invite to the party around Christmastime. Badass with a soft spot is more interesting than total monsters like Sabretooth imo.

Extraordinary Member

I'm fine with him being more of a good guy around Laura and Gabby but still a jackass on his own. He can be that ******* family member who you still invite to the party around Christmastime. Badass with a soft spot is more interesting than total monsters like Sabretooth imo.
    I think fans would riot if he ever did anything to Laura or Gabby.