Page 111 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2163

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Exactly. Just because he's talking about it with a Black hero this time around doesn't change anything. We've seen him mope over it, we've seen it held against him by other characters, we've seen him get passed it, and we've seen later attempts to recreate John as a planet killer, etc. How many more times does this story need to be told? It's not compelling and never has been.

For all he's done for Black Panther, Christopher Priest is an example that just because you're a Black writer, doesn't mean you're good for every Black character. He's never written a good John Stewart story, and he'll be writing another GL as a backup feature in future state. Give me Jensen, Venditti, or Bendis for John over him any day. (At least he's not as bad as Eric Wallace was for Mr. Terrific and Ryan Choi.)

[He who shall not be named] knowingly dates an underage girl, destroys the Corps, and wipes out reality, but that's all retconned and forgotten. The Black character gets no such luck. Growing up I remember hearing, "They get 3, 4 ,5 chances, but people like us get one."

http://jl.popgeeks.com/episode2/episode2.htm

Dwayne speaks for me in this matter as well.

[He who shall not be named] knowingly dates an underage girl, destroys the Corps, and wipes out reality, but that's all retconned and forgotten. The Black character gets no such luck. Growing up I remember hearing, "They get 3, 4 ,5 chances, but people like us get one."
    Wow, do I dislike that "who who shall not be named" crap. Hal was badly, badly treated as a character and made totally OOC when made evil, IMO, and I'm not going to pretend he wasn't.

And I'd say it's mostly just that no one will come along and give John more stories. It sucks. So many characters have had that happen to them. One big story, and it keeps getting retread - Vic, Raven, and especially Arthur.

So, I'd like to ask for story ideas from those here. We aren't professionals, of course. And some of us completely lack creativity (and so have to ask others for story ideas ::cough:. But what are some ideas that would be good for John. Particularly those that don't denigrate/diminish any other GLs and don't make the Guardians do something terrible...again.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Justice League: Endless Winter #1 preview
    https://www.gamesradar.com/batman-an...ter-1-preview/

Ultimate Member

Second, Hal got another chance because he was, and has been the most popular Green Lantern and the carrier of the franchise. Not because he is white. You wanna know who is f-ed up and beyond redemption? A white man named Hank Pym.
    Really????

So unredeemable that he LEAD the Avengers after slapping his wife? He has been in tons of games, tv shows and a few movies. He still got other stories that did NOT reference his abusing of his wife.

He like Hal still got stories that did not HARP on the same tired thing like it did/does for Cyborg or John Stewart.

"They get 3, 4 ,5 chances, but people like us get one."
    THIS.... Lets look at our black folks shall we?

Excluding Black Panther, Luke Cage, Peter Grant (Rivers of London), Miles Morales, War Machine (Rhodey), Martha Washington, Falcon, Goldie Vance, Zula Hendricks (maybe), Shadowman, Quantum (& Woody) and soon to be Static. These are the only black folks to have more than two volumes of an ongoing . In Grant, Hendricks, Washington and Vance's cases they have minis, OGNs & novels.

We don't get more than 2 shots at DC. Even when we SELL-see Steel, Batman & Signal & Green Lantern Mosaic and GLC New 52 say HI.

But Dc can find a place for Sugar and Spice, Question, Adam Strange & Last Boy on Earth. Nothing is wrong with them having books. DC was given kudos for doing that.
    Dc tries that with a black person-EVERYBODY got an issue with it and how QUICK sales comes up.

If everyone here was given the challenge to put together the best say 10 stories of a black character at DC. How many could do it?

Amazing Member

All these people complaining about John getting the same story occasionally meanwhile Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner out here on the unemployment line. lol

BANNED

I think what the character above has done is worse. He's the center of attention despite John being the most well-known Lantern circa 2001-2004 because he's not a person of color. Periodt. He got another chance because folks couldn't imagine a Black character leading the franchise. Had Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner been the star of the show, DC would've spotlighted them back then and likely til now.

White characters get all of these chances and retcons, but Black character don't in a deliberate effort to keep them in their place, hidden behind a BS, disproven narrative that Black characters will never sell as well as White ones. Can't get too uppity, so all you get is characters who are primarily focused on being Black rather than just happen to be Black or you get some disfigured, (literally) neutered thing, lol.
    While that sort of thing hasn't appealed to me, and I think the prevalence of it is ultimately detrimental to these sorts of characters, there seems to be an audience that wants that sort of content. I think some might be more prone to defend the dredging up of Xanshi here because it's done by a black writer, in a book starring black characters that is about them being black and doing black things and interacting with other black characters, and that whole thing might appeal to their sensibilities.

That said, I have to disagree with blaming everything on racism. DC also canned Wally West--undoubtedly one of its most popular and beloved characters, well beyond John Stewart, even--despite him being white and featured prominently on JL/JLU. The company even tried to transform him into a mixed race person (that I think some people and artists forget is mixed and just think is black--https://i.pinimg.com/564x/37/09/5b/3...838743acf7.jpg--but that's a whole other story and issue that some mixed characters face).

Hal has been the headliner of Green Lantern because he has a VERY long and relatively successful history of being the headliner of Green Lantern (at least in comics), and you're not just going to easily wipe away a character that established and that liked by fans. Disregarding all of that just isn't being very honest. I think you can make an argument that it should be John, sure, but defaulting to "racism" for all the problems of John and the only reason Hal has the spot he has is...eh...reckless, in my opinion.

I do think DC has seriously dropped the ball with John and severely mishandled the character, though, and the company more or less continues to do so.

Extraordinary Member

It's not so unique now, but I thought it was totally different for a major DC hero to have his government name plastered all over the media for the world to see.

Even more unique that John did not seek out some off the wall, or other dubious means to discredit the revelation.

On a funny note, I'd like to see Lois Lane's reaction to this.

Incredible Member

That's a retcon. The character knew he was in the wrong going into it.

I think what the character above has done is worse. He's the center of attention despite John being the most well-known Lantern circa 2001-2004 because he's not a person of color. Periodt. He got another chance because folks couldn't imagine a Black character leading the franchise. Had Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner been the star of the show, DC would've spotlighted them back then and likely til now.

White characters get all of these chances and retcons, but Black character don't in a deliberate effort to keep them in their place, hidden behind a BS, disproven narrative that Black characters will never sell as well as White ones. Can't get too uppity, so all you get is characters who are primarily focused on being Black rather than just happen to be Black or you get some disfigured, (literally) neutered thing, lol.
    Well, that’s just another thing you did to defame Hal. I can’t believe I have to repeat this again. Arisia grew herself to a mature woman and she was physically grown enough to carry a ring. She also said she was actually 28 converting to earth time in the first place and Kilowog loved her from the start. She was only retconned to be more than 200 years old. Hal said that because he was using a high moral standard to restrain himself. That doesn’t mean it’s technically true.
    If you are such a moral person and want to condemn pedophiles, maybe start from stoping slandering comic characters and doing something good to the world, like, boycotting Gerard Jones? That’s a man who sexually abused children in really life. From what I know, DC includes his work in John’s Anniversary book and every book sold will be a support of this man. Do you want that?

There’s no proof that the situation you imagined would happen. So stop your absurd theory about Guy or Kyle would have replaced Hal. FYI, Kyle was the only star of the franchise for ten years but he never actually win Hal in readers poll, even during that ten years.

Wow, basically you just said John should take away all the things that belong to Hal just because he featured in an animation (despite him being the least interesting character among the protagonists even after he drew on many concepts from Hal) 20 years ago. You know that’s irrational, do you?
    Do you know which green lantern benefits the most from skin color? John Stewart.
    Bruce Timm said many times one big reason he chose John is he is black.
    These three soundbites come from Modern Master, Back Issues, and a Bruce Timm interview.
    6AA881FA-4C97-4A29-8D28-0C54747A48C5.jpg
    67880A36-5626-4361-8FCA-34D3ABD66BD6.jpg
    AE2C7AB3-A86F-472C-9ED8-301280FC3EF0.jpg
    If John were a white character, he wouldn’t have been considered to be in that show in the first place.
    To me, Hal Jordan is the only choice to lead the franchise. I actually don’t mind Hal being a female, an Asian, an African American, or a trans. I just want this dream pilot with indomitable will.
    It’s not Black characters never sell as well as White ones. It’s John Stewart never sold as well as Hal Jordan. Do you think John Stewart is more popular than Storm, or Black Panther, or Luke Cage? Even these three can’t match Hal in comic domain. Why do you think people would choose John over Hal to star Green Lantern? Please, stop using races as an excuse. That’s just an insult to the truly great black characters.
    Here’s my sincere advise: Finding your own position is a better solution than robbing others.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 11-30-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really????

So unredeemable that he LEAD the Avengers after slapping his wife? He has been in tons of games, tv shows and a few movies. He still got other stories that did NOT reference his abusing of his wife.

He like Hal still got stories that did not HARP on the same tired thing like it did/does for Cyborg or John?
    John has Mosaic, Green Lantern Corps. He still got other stories that did not reference Xanshi. Now he is featuring in Justice League and events. (Shrug)
    If you want John to be in games or movies, call Marvel’s bosses and persuade them to purchase John Stewart will do considering the chaotic situation of DC.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 11-30-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    If John were a white character, he wouldn’t have been considered to be in that show in the first place.
    To me, Hal Jordan is the only choice to lead the franchise. I actually don’t mind Hal being a female, an Asian, an African American, or a trans. I just want this dream pilot with indomitable will.
    It’s not Black characters never sell as well as White ones. It’s John Stewart never sold as well as Hal Jordan. Do you think John Stewart is more popular than Storm, or Black Panther, or Luke Cage? Even these three can’t match Hal in comic domain. Why do you think people would choose John over Hal to star Green Lantern? Please, stop using races as an excuse. That’s just an insult to the truly great black characters.
    Here’s my sincere advise: Finding your own position is a better solution than robbing others.
    That screenshot is saying all the Lanterns are interchangeable and any could fill the role but this is supposed to prove John's race was the only thing that made him interesting? Did you miss the part in your screenshot that said in ethnicity and personality? How does that imply that the only thing that made John interesting was his race. It's clear his personality and how it would affect the team dynamic also played a role in John being used for JL.

And to answer your question, yes 100% John Stewart is more popular than Luke Cage and Black Panther(before the movie came out). Black Panther would not have been as iconic as he is without that movie and John Stewart is more recognizable to the mainstream than Luke Cage. Storm is a titan when it comes to popularity, I could argue she's one of Marvel's most iconic characters period alongside Spiderman, Wolverine, and the Hulk.

People would choose John over Hal because that's the Green Lantern they grew up watching as a kid and grew fond of.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    to me, Hal Jordan is the only choice to lead the franchise. I actually don’t mind Hal being a female, an Asian, an African American, or a trans. I just want this dream pilot with indomitable will.
    this, I can't that this statement seriously bro. I couldn't take a lot of this as serious good faith arguments (honestly at this point this the whole John v Hal "debate" is tired and cringey) but this part in particular I found the least serious.

how about we all just agree to disagree and not derail this thread with John v Hal nonsense for the umpteenth time. there is a my Lantern is better than yours thread for that kinda stuff guys.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    All these people complaining about John getting the same story occasionally meanwhile Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner out here on the unemployment line. lol
    For the most part some TRIES to do stuff with Kyle-we have seen him as a White Lantern, headline that title, hang with Omega and Titans.

Guy at times is the same-he held his own book for at least 4 years and did Red Lanterns. And served in Justice League.

Both of them have not been forever unemployed.

It’s John Stewart never sold as well as Hal Jordan.
    John held ONE book. ONE BOOK. ONE BOOK.

Black Panther, or Luke Cage? Even these three can’t match Hal in comic domain.
    A 3 Oscar winning movie that made a billion makes the comic domain a MOOT point.

Does that apply to Jessica, Simon, Guy, Kyle, Jo and all the REST of the Green Lanterns?
    In fact does that apply to She Hulk, Miles, Rhodey, Riri, Supergirl, Superboy, Steel, Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress, Catman, Cyborg Girl, Tim Drake Robin, Damian Robin, Venom, Carnage, Michael Holt, Wally West, Wallace West, Xs, Red Hulk, Red She Hulk, Rampage, Nubia, Star Girl, Donna Troy, Speedy, Conner Hawke, Impulse, Luke Fox, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Vixen, Freedom Beast, Impala, Duke Thomas, Jog, Power Man jr, Kate Bishop, Carol Danvers, Monica (Spectrum) and so many more I could name.

Because UNLIKE these guys-Green Lantern is suppose to be about a SPACE FORCE. All 4000+ of them. Or does it ONLY apply to John Stewart?

And if John was chosen for that show based on being black-SO WHAT? Honestly SO WHAT?

Lets go on a history walk-between 1986 (FINAL season of Superfriends) to 2000 (first season of Justice League). What black DC OWNED character was on a DC show? As a LEAD? 14 years.
    Movies-Steel that ignore everything Superman related.
    Toys-how many black figures? Black Lightning & Steel.
    Clothes? NONE. Trades-NONE.
    Comic series DC OWNED-Steel, Black Lightning, GL Mosaic & Xero.
    So where was this great black hero better than John that Dc could have used? That Dc was NOT fighting with the creator. Who didn't have a flop in movie theaters.
    There was NONE.

And finally it's HARD to find you OWN spot when you don't get stories. Especially in your OWN franchise. As Storm, Cyborg, Vixen & Duke fans will gladly tell you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    That screenshot is saying all the Lanterns are interchangeable and any could fill the role but this is supposed to prove John's race was the only thing that made him interesting? Did you miss the part in your screenshot that said in ethnicity and personality? How does that imply that the only thing that made John interesting was his race. It's clear his personality and how it would affect the team dynamic also played a role in John being used for JL.

And to answer your question, yes 100% John Stewart is more popular than Luke Cage and Black Panther(before the movie came out). Black Panther would not have been as iconic as he is without that movie and John Stewart is more recognizable to the mainstream than Luke Cage. Storm is a titan when it comes to popularity, I could argue she's one of Marvel's most iconic characters period alongside Spiderman, Wolverine, and the Hulk.

People would choose John over Hal because that's the Green Lantern they grew up watching as a kid and grew fond of.
    Like I said, because the John Stewart in the animation drew many concepts from Hal Jordan? And Bruce Timm also said his blank in characteristic gave them more room to handle this character and his personality was largely different from the comics. So it’s clear the personality Bruce Timm saw in John is nearly no personality so he could give him one.
    I highly disagree John is more popular than Black Panther and Luke Cage. You can refer to the top 100 CBR comic character vote results. And speaking of John’s popularity, do you think John Stewart is popular because he is a Green Lantern, or because he is John Stewart? If he were given another name, like, Mosaic Guardian? when he was created, do you think he would get this amount of exposure and push? Who carries and expands the franchise and made the name Green Lantern popular? What did John ever do that build up the Green Lantern franchise or enrich the Green Lantern lore, except his existence provides diversity?
    Last edited by HAN9000; 11-30-2020 at 10:27 PM.