Page 15 of 145 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

So Robert Venditt's Justice League book has been released today. I'm glad to see my favorite GL's John Stewart and Yat in the book.

After reading it, I must say, Robert Venditti really likes the John Stewart character. You can see John Stewart's leadership all in that book. He also seems to get the most focus out of the other characters in this issue. He doesn't come off all sad, mopey, self doubt like you seen when John first appeared in Scott Snyder's run. One of my favorite parts in the book is John's interaction with Superman. I love the part when he explains why he doesn't wear the mask. When you pair John Stewart with other A-list characters like Superman and Batman, then it shows how much fondness that Robert Venditti has with the John Stewart character. It sort of reminds me of Geoff Johns pairing Hal Jordan with other A-list characters, because he's very fond of Hal Jordan. You can see Robert Venditt's interest in John Stewart clearly in this book.

One of the things I like about Robert Venditti is that he never brings up that Xanshi garbage. This is because he's comfortable writing the character. Although I have a tendency on criticizing GL writers, Robert Venditti is one of the very few GL writers I don't really criticize. He's also one of the very few GL writers I have respect for when it comes to treating Green Lanterns equally. He's done way more than most in that regard.

I highly recommend this book for any John Stewart fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    So Robert Venditt's Justice League book has been released today. I'm glad to see my favorite GL's John Stewart and Yat in the book.

After reading it, I must say, Robert Venditti really likes the John Stewart character. You can see John Stewart's leadership all in that book. He also seems to get the most focus out of the other characters in this issue. He doesn't come off all sad, mopey, self doubt like you seen when John first appeared in Scott Snyder's run. One of my favorite parts in the book is John's interaction with Superman. I love the part when he explains why he doesn't wear the mask. When you pair John Stewart with other A-list characters like Superman and Batman, then it shows how much fondness that Robert Venditti has with the John Stewart character. It sort of reminds me of Geoff Johns pairing Hal Jordan with other A-list characters, because he's very fond of Hal Jordan. You can see Robert Venditt's interest in John Stewart clearly in this book.

One of the things I like about Robert Venditti is that he never brings up that Xanshi garbage. This is because he's comfortable writing the character. Although I have a tendency on criticizing GL writers, Robert Venditti is one of the very few GL writers I don't really criticize. He's also one of the very few GL writers I have respect for when it comes to treating Green Lanterns equally. He's done way more than most in that regard.

I second this, while I feel Snyder could've and should've done better with John, he had too much on his plate and he fumbled the ball. Venditti on the other hand has picked up the ball and hit the ground running with John. I'm happy that we're seeing John front, center, and portrayed well, I hope he can keep that up going forward.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This was well done. John being treated with as much respect as every other character was refreshing. Was John being a former Green Lantern common knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    This was well done. John being treated with as much respect as every other character was refreshing. Was John being a former Green Lantern common knowledge?
    I think John meant Sodam was a Green Lantern, like him, not that John is also a former Green Lantern. I think the confusion is the when he said John "stepped down", which I read as him referring to John stepping down as Corp Leader to do work on Earth because we never see John leave the the Corp and we see him still working with the rest of the Corp and taking directives from the Guardians in the Justice League annual; and that was after the Thanagar incident, which iirc was the only time John's butted heads with the Corps recently.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Best issue of Justice League I've read in a long time. Venditti did a great job of characterizing Green Lantern--Flash and Batman too. I liked John's interaction with Superman a lot, and I'm sure Wonder Woman will get more shine (though I liked her brief interaction with Flash). Definite kudos. This is why team books should have rosters of 3-6, giving everyone advertised a chance to shine without being overshadowed by the action. Glad to see the characters take center stage again.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-07-2020 at 08:30 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-07-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Good issue with John.

I have my problems with Venditti but he did good here. I miss character interactions like these.

I can hear the voice actors from JLU saying those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I second this, while I feel Snyder could've and should've done better with John, he had too much on his plate and he fumbled the ball. Venditti on the other hand has picked up the ball and hit the ground running with John. I'm happy that we're seeing John front, center, and portrayed well, I hope he can keep that up going forward.
    That was the problem. I felt that he had way too many characters involved in his book. And making expanding the scale of his story made it much harder for John. It seems like he didn't finish what he started

The conversation with John Stewart had with Superman in that issue is where you can tell that Robert Venditti was characterizing John Stewart as the heavy thinker there. I also wonder whether there's going to be some kind of conflict between John Stewart and Batman, since both of them are trying to lead the team.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

Happy to read all of this, especially what's bolded. John has been crying about Xanshi for so long you'd think it's his origin story. It's going to forever be the albatross around his neck and he needs to get past it and find a niche other than "I'm the GL who killed a planet due to my hubris in an event nobody cares about." Not saying be flippant about it, but every time it gets brought up, I roll my eyes and lose interest. It's time. If Hal can move past Parallax; if Barry Allen can come back from the mother of all sendoffs; if Jason Todd can get sprayed with the Bat-Death repellent-- John can move past Xanshi.

I know this run is going to be filler, but I'm hoping that we get some fun stories, memorable moments and great art out of it.

I do love that page. Tons of mutual respect between old colleagues. Feels genuine, though I admit a slight displeasure at Clark seemingly abandoning the Kal-El side of his heritage. He's not just a guy from Kansas, but this isn't that thread. Venditti's John sounds great. I need to get caught up on my reading.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-10-2020 at 11:12 PM.