Page 79 of 145 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2163
    Incredible Member

How do you guys feel about the way John uses his constructs? Personally I always thought the lantern rings abilities is the Ready Player One of powers. It can create anything you think of which includes the types of entertainment/slash every day objects you experience. There could be so many Easter eggs. Do we know if John enjoys movies?

Also who do you think John is closest to between the Green Lantern? Is there anyone he can confide in about his problems?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Also who do you think John is closest to between the Green Lantern? Is there anyone he can confide in about his problems?
    Guy Gardner, then Kilowog, but John isn't a touchy-feely guy. He's clearly uncomfortable expressing his emotions, and that's okay.

I think a good person to model him after personality-wise is Denzel Washington (in his various roles). Lots of charisma and depth, but he's not going to "open up." He's a stoic.

He's like Jack Reacher for the similar reasons. Would love to see John doing some internal affairs work.

--

[Barry Allen]: What does [a Lantern investigator] do mostly?

[John Stewart]: What you do, with one minor difference-- every suspect [is] a trained killer.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.

From the official DC Facebook, John is in another ad.

https://www.facebook.com/dc/photos/p...type=3&theater

I just saw a DC NATION page where it is talking about Green Lantern 80th anniversary and it had this glaring omission in John's wrote up. It failed to mention his iconic status for some reason.��

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    From the official DC Facebook, John is in another ad.

https://www.facebook.com/dc/photos/p...type=3&theater
    I remember seeing this on twitter and forgot to post this. It's nice to see John Stewart being used more in promotional material. Thanks for posting this.

Not sure how people are going to feel about about Multiverse’s end, nothing egregious happened (Guy did not end up saving John) and John ultimately had involvement with the overall story and its ending but unsure how people will view it. Like it wasn’t nearly as impressive as Speed Metal if I had to say anything about it.

Slight aside I think there should be a Justice Incarnate mini or digital series, I mean they have showed up enough since Multiversity so why not. I’m sure there would be some people who would appreciate a team of mismatched multiverse heroes starring Calvin Ellis, Kingdom Come Kid Flash, and Captain Carrot.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Not sure how people are going to feel about about Multiverse’s end, nothing egregious happened (Guy did not end up saving John) and John ultimately had involvement with the overall story and its ending but unsure how people will view it. Like it wasn’t nearly as impressive as Speed Metal if I had to say anything about it.

Slight aside I think there should be a Justice Incarnate mini or digital series, I mean they have showed up enough since Multiversity so why not. I’m sure there would be some people who would appreciate a team of mismatched multiverse heroes starring Calvin Ellis, Kingdom Come Kid Flash, and Captain Carrot.
    That's good that nothing egregious happened. I'm glad to hear that. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.

So the overall story was considered okay-ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That's good that nothing egregious happened. I'm glad to hear that. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.

So the overall story was considered okay-ish?
    I think if it suffered from anything it was having John serve as an info dump for Crisis and the current state of the multiverse. Like that is a lot of what John does in this book and I felt I didn’t need another recap of crises and Perpetua’s impact on them. Like mild spoiler but all John does is convince Owlman to get in the game. That said it does kind of lead somewhere with Owlman who has a sizeable part to play in this issue.

Other then that I kind of like the rest of the story more, even Captain Carrot and the Kid Flash of Kingdom come. I especially liked that people remembered Simon Baz exists because he and all the other earth green lanterns are here to and they all play a part.

It also is apparently setting itself up for a sequel in Rise of a new god next month.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-29-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

I thought the same thing about Multiverse's End that I always think about these stories.

That there are so many fun ideas that spun out of Multiversity but also just the Other Earths of the DCU History, and the only time they show up is in these big Crisis stories where they have no time to shine lights on any of them, just one or two panel cameos that are really clever match-ups but with no real follow-through. In this case that also included the primary Earther Green Lanterns in addition to the various Multiversal Justice Guys.

I thought Ultraman's fascism being kind of overtly Proto-Trumpy and aimed at President Superman was on-the-nose and not game-breaking, and existing in the same issue where Guy Gardner goes on a Punch Nazis tirade twice is a little glad-handing, but it's the DCU ... and comic books frankly are the origin point for the Meme of Punching Nazis from back when real Nazis were threatening the Earth, and concepts like Earth-X aren't holdouts from the past, they're evolving concepts created by people who fought real Nazis ... who didn't like some of the **** they were seeing in the wake of that. So apropos of nothing, it didn't bother me for being on-the-nose or overt, it just being so overt kind of pulled me out of my immersion.

On the flip though are some of those genius moments that are kind of wasted because of the nature of these things. Like there's no better, more appropriate match-up to fight against the Nazi SS Plasstic Man than Captain Carrot. Cartoon versus vile cartoon! That's how you crush propaganda. It's Bugs Bunny slapping Hitler around!

Likewise ... Owlman really excels here. He felt very Batman:TB&TB which is a fine thing. Voicing opinions about how weak conceptually all these evil Batmen are ... being a villain, but a "Magnificent Bastard" villain, not a GrimDark Parody ... you can't help rooting for him and his ego and his crashing the plans of all evil Batmen and putting himself at the center of importance. I like that he and John Stewart finally gave us a cleared up version of the History of Earth-3 that makes total sense. The Crime Syndicate still had to exist even when there was just One Universe and so cosmically, Post-Crisis the Anti-Matter Universe WAS Earth-3, housed Earth-3. Which it could do because the Anti-Monitor was "missing"/"gone".

Owlman being such an M.B. archetype actually really contrasts with the grim & gritty nature of Forever Evil and why that event was kind of lame. You want these guys even though they're evil and corrupt to be kind of like the Justice League. Bold and proud and out and loud about it. Diabolical in the Silver Age way. Owlman shouldn't be "Evil ALT Frank Miller Batman" ... he was born in the '66 time frame. He should be "Evil ALT ADAM WEST".

I'd proudly pen a book called "Owlman: The Court of Bats" where he discovers a secret society of Bat-themed aristocracy on his Earth that actually secretly worship the Owl-God of Greed, Moloch, the Anti-Matter Equivalent of Barbatos. And systematically Owlman Gambits all of them out of their money and leaves them poor and dead.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 09-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Good article on the same information we got a couple weeks ago. Even the author agrees on some things we said.

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...ndless-winter/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Good article on the same information we got a couple weeks ago. Even the author agrees on some things we said.

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...ndless-winter/
    The only part that I don't like is the idea that giving John different powers will make him a bigger character. Dick Grayson and James Rhodes are not A-listers or any less tied to another franchise because of a power or name change. Taking the S symbol off of Steel's suit doesn't change the fact that he's a Superman character and always will be. Making Kyle Ion shifted the focus away from him. DC should be treating John like Marvel treats Carol Danvers or Scott Lang or Hope Van Dyne or Kamala Kahn. Anything else is trying to undermine the thing he was sold to us as when we were growing up-- a top 5 hero in the room making the big decisions.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Ron Marz is a capable creator who was among the first to make distinctions between how the various earth lanterns utilize their rings. Hopefully this represents a return to greatness for the Lantern franchise.

BANNED

Really excited for Marz's story and what's been hinted at for John in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The only part that I don't like is the idea that giving John different powers will make him a bigger character. Dick Grayson and James Rhodes are not A-listers or any less tied to another franchise because of a power or name change. Taking the S symbol off of Steel's suit doesn't change the fact that he's a Superman character and always will be. Making Kyle Ion shifted the focus away from him. DC should be treating John like Marvel treats Carol Danvers or Scott Lang or Hope Van Dyne or Kamala Kahn. Anything else is trying to undermine the thing he was sold to us as when we were growing up-- a top 5 hero in the room making the big decisions.
    Wait what? They are making him NOT a Green Lantern? What did I miss?

Also ugh is that we seem to be stuck with this "emotional spectrum" cosmology. Oh well.