Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly. When Van Jensen was writing John Stewart at the time, there weren't really any complaints in the John Stewart thread. This tends to happen if John is lacking solo material.

For these issues to be fixed, John Stewart needs a solo book. I doubt the upcoming GL 100 page special would have anything interesting with John in it. I'm sure he's just going to be there in the background and probably propping up other Green Lantern characters. Seeing how Kyle, Hal, and Guy have their own covers, while John Stewart doesn't, is an example of a lack of interest. This is not really surprising, considering Geoff Johns is involved in that project. Every time when he's around John Stewart seems to get shafted. Geoff Johns and John Stewart doesn't mix well.
    I find that Van Jensen's run wasn't bad, but it did not do a whole to address the problems that John Stewart has as a character. It did not elevate him, propel him, or even develop him all that much. When it ended, John was more or less in the same situation he was before, minus having Fatality around (for better or worse, depending on your view). It did not give him a supporting cast that stuck, and did not do anything defining for him. It did not develop a niche for him, or...well...anything. That's partially why the character is still suffering from the same problems he's always been suffering from. The dude's been around for like 50 years or something, and he's still way underdeveloped. It's pretty stupid.

Way back, I told people that a dumb power upgrade wasn't what John Stewart needed when they were marking out over that ultra violet thing. The fact that people are still complaining about much the same things right now kind of proves that. What did the power do for him? Like I predicted, it didn't do anything. Well, I guess it could help him establish his own niche somehow, but I knew that particular concept wasn't really good enough to be followed up on too much by others, similar to putting John in pink and making him a Star Sapphire wasn't really good enough to be followed up on. Some people want to act like I'm downplaying the character or whatever, but if they set aside fan-ish emotions for a second and listen to what I'm saying, they might find it makes sense. Otherwise, the stuff I say wouldn't keep happening and coming true.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-17-2020 at 05:30 AM.