Page 114 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2163
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Sorry for derailing the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    True, but this is a John Stewart Appreciation Thread, not a Hal Jordan Disappreciation Thread, so if certain people could stop complaining about him so much, that would also help this thread stay on track.

To help with that, what is everyone’s favorite hairstyle for John? I normally hate the short, shaved, buzzed cut look because it is the lazy artist’s go-to style for black characters, especially at DC (I absolutely hate it on Black Lightning for example), but for some reason John is the one black character I’m cool with it on. Maybe because he’s had it so long, I don’t know. It just suits him I think.
    I like his Future State dreads.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcomed.

-Example

This is constructive. It's asking a question of why is that planet talked more about the face he had a wife killed by a villain.
    Along with bringing up the need for more John material for a writer to look at or even consider.

Which is what all this BOILS down to-John Stewart material. Plain and simple.

We have seen too much LIP SERVICE and nothing in return.

Maybe the reason folks like John Stewart who has CRUMBS compared to Hal is NOT because he is black but it's testament to work McDuffie, Jenson, Gerard Jones, Redjack and others who took those crumbs and made it work.
    I don't think I could have said this any better

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no he didn't and I haven't forgiven him for it. last thing we heard about it was on Thanagar when we found out it's a physiological change. I hope whatever they're "setting up" for John in Endless Winter will if not expand it then will just put the concept to bed official. I would rather they take it away than to just forget it and let it quiet disappear because at least it'll show that DC has care for the character enough to follow up on what he's doing.
    Yea I agree. If there's no answers, then there's no point to even having the tattoo ring. I'm hoping there would be more details and answers. I just can't see Ron Marz avoiding such direction, given his previous track record.

Extraordinary Member

I'd be totally fine if John rocks dreads in the main continuity.

It would be hilarious if Guy resumed his red lantern look in response.

So I just finished reading John Ridley's Otherside of the DCU and let me just say, that as much as I'm sick of the Xanshi thing, this is the only time I enjoyed how the plot element was handled. The only other was in JLU's In Blackest Night.

Extraordinary Member

it started out as a fan theory. was following arrow at the time and it was a theory that was largely made by people who don't follow comics much and rest primarily on the fact that John Stewart is a black guy in the army named John, and Diggle is a black guy in the army named John. they brought in his step dad as a man named Roy Stewart as a nod to the theory (this is well into the Olicity era of the show where they were just throwing in a bunch of fan service gimmicks in lieu of good storytelling) and it was recieved well enough. then they alluded that one of Diggle's multiverse doppelgangers has is John Stewart, then in the finale of Arrow they had him find a something that fell from space that was glowing green, implying he's now a Green Lantern somewhere.

I wouldn't have cared if it was just Diggle is Diggle but he got chosen by a power ring, but the convoluted way they went about making him "John Stewart" felt like they were insulting my intelligence; I can not lie.
    Hmmm....weird. I found it odd that he could go from Diggle to Stewart, and I guess that's why. Still, it is far from the first thing the CW shows have done that's not very well explained. That said, I like the actor; he's charismatic and a good actor, and he's got that incredible physicality, so I'm good with seeing him as a GL.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think the fade has become his signature in my eyes. it's only like a half step away from the low cut but I feel it works well for John, maybe grew it out a smidge for more texture. i REALLY dig the beard and locs look he's got going on in Last Lanterns. i don't think i could see it working as his regular but I still dig it a lot. I think a perfect John would be a grown out fade with a solid beard, nothing too big and burly but a solid beard nonetheless. that would be *chef's kiss*
    It's such a good and unique look I just want him to keep it full-stop, hair/beard wise. Adapt his costume into a more GL-esque situation, but keep the hair and beard.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Nah! I’ll take Jessica over Hal any day! Hell, I’d definitely take her over Guy, Simon and Alan too!

1) Jessica Cruz
    2) John Stewart (childhood lantern)
    3) Kyle Rayner (he’s grown on me)
    4) Hal Jordan
    Since we were all doing it and only Earth because I don't have all night:

Alan Scott
    Guy Gardner
    Hal Jordan/John Stewart (I flipflopped on them enough that I accepted I like both equally)
    Jessica Cruz (by a hair)
    Kyle Rayner
    Simon Baz (admittedly the only main Earth GL I just don't care much about)
    Charlie Vickers (because I can be pedantic!)

Jury's still out:

Jo Mullein

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I like his Future State dreads.
    I like the fade because of the cartoon and writers have been writing him as more like the military guy in the cartoon more than previous incarnations. I just wish they didn't give Black Lightning such a similar haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like the fade because of the cartoon and writers have been writing him as more like the military guy in the cartoon more than previous incarnations. I just wish they didn't give Black Lightning such a similar haircut.
    Id prefer if he kept the the Locs aswell ( I’ve had them for 10 yrs ) & beard or at a minimum got a resign look. Honestly John, Jeff, Duke, Michael, Wallace, Luke, Tim, Vic (Better than that ridiculous face plate) & few others all walking around being drawn almost identical to each other is short sided & annoying to me.. DC since they under new management needs to actually sit down with actually black creatives & give these characters some variety.. I have ideas & Preferences for what I’d do with them & few others but that’s a post of another time..
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 12-03-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Id prefer if he kept the the Locs aswell ( I’ve had them for 10 yrs ) & beard or at a minimum got a resign look. Honestly John, Jeff, Duke, Michael, Wallace, Luke, Tim, Vic (Better than that ridiculous face plate) & few others all walking around being drawn almost identical to each other is short sided & annoying to me.. DC since they under new management needs to actually sit down with actually black creatives & give these characters some variety.. I have ideas & Preferences for what I’d do with them & few others but that’s a post of another time..
    facts! the only mainstream black male character that is wholly distinct is Jackson Hyde; and for a good while there is was largely because of his hair color. they "tried" to make Duke Thomas more distinct by giving him this weird fade/part situation with his low cut but honestly they should've kept him with his long hair design from when he was first introduced. i mean, you know it's a problem when they confuse Jefferson and Duke mid-dialogue, which happened in Bryan Hill's outsiders arc in Detective. things like that, to me, are indicative of DC not putting enough thought into these characters (and a lot of others) being full people outside of their costume and, more pointedly, they aren't thinking about these characters of colors in relation to each other. i can't think of too many times characters of color actually interact with each other at DC, especially outside of costume. Wallace and Duke are roughly the same age and came out around the same time but have never met, Cyborg and John Stewart were both on the Justice League for like 5 mins before Vic got shipped into space, and I don't think Luke Fox and Mr. Terrific ever met. If these black characters actually talked more often out of costume I feel these kind of things would be picked up on and taken into consideration.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

facts! the only mainstream black male character that is wholly distinct is Jackson Hyde; and for a good while there is was largely because of his hair color. they "tried" to make Duke Thomas more distinct by giving him this weird fade/part situation with his low cut but honestly they should've kept him with his long hair design from when he was first introduced. i mean, you know it's a problem when they confuse Jefferson and Duke mid-dialogue, which happened in Bryan Hill's outsiders arc in Detective. things like that, to me, are indicative of DC not putting enough thought into these characters (and a lot of others) being full people outside of their costume and, more pointedly, they aren't thinking about these characters of colors in relation to each other. i can't think of too many times characters of color actually interact with each other at DC, especially outside of costume. Wallace and Duke are roughly the same age and came out around the same time but have never met, Cyborg and John Stewart were both on the Justice League for like 5 mins before Vic got shipped into space, and I don't think Luke Fox and Mr. Terrific ever met. If these black characters actually talked more often out of costume I feel these kind of things would be picked up on and taken into consideration.
    i can promise you, while we're telling his story, John will have a unique and identifiable silhouette that no one will confuse with any other character.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    i can promise you, while we're telling his story, John will have a unique and identifiable silhouette that no one will confuse with any other character.
    Sounds promising, Redjack! I'm super excited to read it!

Your greatly appreciated

this is exactly what I like to hear, especially the bolded. I've been saying it for a while now, the silhouette is the mark of how distinct the character is, and it's extremely reassuring that it's being taken into consideration when approaching John's character designs. especially if it's indicative of how everyone is approaching these characters in Future State. that's the kind if thoughtful creation process I'd like to see more of at DC! I'm extremely excited to see how everything y'all are cooking up comes together.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I was bored this took maybe 25-30 mins

For me :

John - model after Malcolm-Jamal Warner
    Long Locs
    6’0/6’1 Facial hair or light beard (future state look)

Or

model after Shamier Anderson
    6’0/6’1 Facial hair/ light beard & hair cut/low-mid fade
    (future end look)

Jeff - model after Cress Williams & Terrence C. Carson/Kyle Barker 6’5, full beard, short locs

Vic - model after Joivan Wade & Stephan James ( in 21 bridges) , 6’6-6’9 light goatee

Michael - 6’2-6’3 model after Isaiah Mustafa & Nate Parker, low-mid fade. Mustache or little no facial hair

Duke- 5’7-5’8, model after John Boyega in attack the block , mid-long locs , (Futures End look)

Wallace - High high top fade with part in design, model after Franz Drameh & Keiynan Lonsdale. 5’10-5’11

Luke - model after Trevor Jackson 5’9-5’10, Full beard, Braids on top fade on the side

Tim - model after Trai Byers 6’1-6’2 light facial hair/mustache & low hair cut

Ben - model after Mekhi Phifer & MJW 6’3/6’4 long locs or medium length locs goatee/full beard.
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 12-03-2020 at 09:48 PM.