Page 30 of 145 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The characters above are phenotypically Caucasian
    That's pseudoscience.
    No such thing as brown Caucasians.
    If you believe that most in current india,most arabs and berbers are Caucasian then i disagree strongly with you since you made it more clear to me where you are coming from.
    There are scientist who don't believe that either.
    I think i know where you coming from and for awhile was beginning to believe in propaganda too a few years ago debating folks in african and ancient egyptian forums.
    Trust me.
    I guess that happen when i was on internet to long.
    I woke up,quickly after that however.
    No way i am calling Freida Pinto a Caucasian or white.

Caucasians are white.
    No such thing as a brown caucasian.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-09-2020 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    That's pseudoscience.
    Frieda Pinto ethnically Indian and is racially Asian, with phenotypical features from the Indian subcontinent. Jessica Cruz and Ariana Grande are white, but with different Ethnic backgrounds.

John Stewart is black, and, like other black characters at DC, is relegated to secondary status, as has been the case at the company for years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Frieda Pinto is racially Asian, with phenotypical features from the Indian subcontinent. Jessica Cruz and Ariana Grande are white, but with different Ethnic backgrounds.
    She is asian but not racially asian.
    There are white and black asians too but they are not racially asian.
    Racially asians are from east asia.
    Phenotype is more important then dna.
    There are a few blacks that are more european in dna for example in real life but no one is going around calling them white.
    Some folks are taking dna too far.
    Race is phenotype not dna.
    Jessica and Ariana are not white looking or white.
    Frieda is intermediate looking.
    She is Racially brown.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-09-2020 at 08:25 AM.

BANNED

She is asian but not racially asian.
    There are white and black asians too but they are not racially asian.
    Racially asians are from east asia.
    Phenotype is more important then dna.
    There are a few blacks that are more european in dna for example but no one is going around calling them white.
    Some folks are taking dna too far.
    Race is phenotype not dna.
    Jessica and Ariana are not white looking or white.
    Frieda is intermediate looking.
    She is Racially brown.
    India is part of Asia, and Indian features are Asian features. Asian features include more than East Asian features.

Ariana and Jessica are white/caucasian. A darker complexion doesn't change that.

Race is not just phenotype, as demonstrated by when Mindy Kaling's brother tried to pass as black.

DC isn't anywhere close to great when it comes to characters with phenotypically black or asian features.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-09-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Brown is not a race. Brown is a color.

The characters above are phenotypically Caucasian and, if real, would likely have high levels of European ancestry according to DNA reports. Some of their complexion might be climate, and some might be distant Amerindian or Black ancestry, but, like most telenovella actors and actresses, they do not have predominantly afro or anerindian features. They are phenotypically White. There are lots of Caucasians around the Mediterranean sea who look like this. These include Italians, Greeks, etc. Many South American countries have significant ancestry linked to Italy, Portugal, and and Spain because that's where most of their colonizing immigrants came from. Lots of Italian surnames in Chile for example. Someone who looks like John Tuturro (sp?) is still Caucasian.

Again, this thread is about John Stewart. DC has a bad track record with characters who look like him.
    If Brown isn’t a race then neither is Black nor White. Yes this is a thread about John but you brought up Jessica and called her a White woman when she is not. You also falsely called Becky G and Kristal White women, when neither identifies as such. Heck in CA/The Southwest the majority of Mexicans/Latino have a look similar to Becky and by extension Jessica. Guess they’re all White too. Careful though, don’t go around calling them White, you’ll get a lot of angry responses (Mexicans and Central American mostly identity as a Brown people or “People of the sun”)

I guess all of DC’s Latino characters are White, because they’re not drawn Black Jaime is White? Cisco is White? Derek is White? Alba? Beatriz? Nayeli? Chato? Hmmm

PS: Ariana is a White girl that tans her skin to look Brown.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    If Brown isn’t a race then neither is Black nor White. Yes this is a thread about John but you brought up Jessica and called her a White woman when she is not. You also falsely called Becky G and Kristal White women, when neither identifies as such. Heck in CA/The Southwest the majority of Mexicans/Latino have a look similar to Becky and by extension Jessica. Guess they’re all White too. Careful though, don’t go around calling them White, you’ll get a lot of angry responses (Mexicans and Central American mostly identity as a Brown people or “People of the sun”)

I guess all of DC’s Latino characters are White, because they’re not drawn Black Jaime is White? Cisco is White? Derek is White? Alba? Beatriz? Nayeli? Chato? Hmmm

Brown is not a race. Amerindian is a race. White= Caucasian. Black = Subsahran African.

The people you mention qualify as White in central and South America. They are phenotypically White Hispanics who may have some Amerindian ancestry. If you said they were Italian, Spanish, or from some other Mediterranean culture, people would believe you.

Is this person Italian, Turkish, Irish, Peruvian, or Armenian?

Afro and Asian latinos have complained about representation for years in both the US and their native countries to largely deaf ears. There are more white Latinos at DC than Ameridian ones too. Jaime is a rare Anerindian Latino at DC.

DC has a poor but consistent track record when it comes to characters with sub saharan features. John Stewart is ethnically African American with a predominant Sub saharan African phenotype who presents as Black and would have a high percentage of African DNA if real.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

There are 4 races.
    Black
    White
    Mongloid
    Brown-intermediate types of varied skin tones.
    Jessica and kamala khan are brown for example.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    This was is mention before and i think you maybe right about that.
    That's why i said i was not sure about her and i just look at more recent pics of her.
    She looks different when she was younger.
    I am sure about the others however.
    Note- There are some dc latino black looking latino characters however like the fuerza and kendra.
    Of course most are not white or black.

Race is phenotype.
    When cops arrest someone,they put down a race,meaning what you look like.
    They will not ask for you dna background.
    Not all Amerindians by the way are mongoloid racially but most are.

If you said they were Italian, Spanish, or from some other Mediterranean culture, people would believe you.
    Nope.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-09-2020 at 08:44 AM.

BANNED

There are 4 races.
    Black
    White
    Mongloid
    Brown-intermediate types of varied skin tones.
    Jessica and kamala khan are brown for example.

This was is mention before and i think you maybe right about that.
    That's why i said i was not sure about her and i just look at more recent pics of her.
    She looks different when she was younger.
    I am sure about the others however.
    Note- There are some dc latino black looking latino characters however like the Fuerza and kendra.
    Of course most are not white or black.

Race is phenotype.
    When cops arrest someone,they put down a race,meaning what you look like.
    They will not ask for you dna background.
    Mongoloid is a historically racist and offensive term. Good luck finding it on a census form.

It is not current and not accurate. There are more races than 3 with a catch all. I think we know everything we need to about you.

Extraordinary Member

Mongoloid is a historically racist and offensive term. Good luck finding it on a census form.

It is not current and not accurate. There are more races than 3 with a catch all. I think we know everything we need to about you.
    Well that's why i say east asian origin.
    Native and east asians.
    Mongoloid i think is still use sometimes but use it only it get more to the point.
    Are you trying to say by the way there are like 8 or 10 races?
    There are only 4 from what i see.
    Brown is a race a type.
    In dc and marvel comics by the way in u.s there are more poc latinos then white ones.
    Yes they alternate universes.

I just saw a pic of Mindy Kaling's brother.
    He looks black.
    He is black indian like Trinary who is a mutant and a black indian.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Trinary_(Earth-616)

Note-
    Correction There are a few blacks that have more then 50% recent european dna for example in real life but no one is going around calling them white.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-09-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

As valid as having people of all colors as equally working as a team, I still really don’t think you have to be the same race as others as to “see themselves.” The same logic can applied to men relating to female characters, not in terms of physical appearances or anything like that, but as in intelligence, personality, dreams, goals, ambitions, etc.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-09-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think she's a Mexican American who is sometimes brown and sometimes not.
    Someone invited me over to give my two cents on the topic.

I'm not really up on Jess; I didn't read the Lantern book she and Baz co-stared in, and I didn't read the Justice League book by....Vendetti?....or whoever where she apparently played a big role. I think it was the run where the League's kids from the future show up?

Anyway. Like I said, I haven't read some of Jess' bigger appearances, I'm not really a fan (I don't dislike her, I'm just more invested in John, Kyle, and Guy) and I have no idea what her ancestry is. But I *think* she's Mexican American, yes? Not even biracial but straight up Mexican American? As for how she looks, from what I've seen it depends on the art team.

Most of the time (just from what I've seen) she's drawn to look "generic Latina." Her skin is some shade of light brown, and let's be honest that's about all most art teams are gonna do to establish an ethnicity. In comics, light brown skin = some Latin/Mexican/Spanish/whatever ethnicity. I suppose you could say that some artists try to give her a facial structure that "looks Latina" as well, with strong cheekbones and full lips (or whatever it is Latina women are supposed to have?) but basically every female character is drawn along those lines, so that's actually rather generic.

But sometimes she's colored white, and/or an artist puts no effort into trying to make her "look" Mexican/Latina/whatever Jess is. But I believe those are artist mistakes. I don't think Jessica is supposed to be white passing. DC doesn't usually do white passing characters; they want their non-white characters to look non-white. The only characters who get to be white passing are usually aliens, like Kryptonians.

Ultimately I would look to larger media. The designs are more consistent there, and often end up reinforcing what the comic design is supposed to be. In DC Super Hero Girls (which my daughter adores) Jess is light brown. She also appeared in a semi-recent JLA-Legion crossover cartoon which I never saw, but I *believe* she had the same coloring there?

I wouldn't put any thought into it that runs deeper than that. Jess has light brown skin (or is supposed to). Therefore, by the "general rules of thumb of comic book ethnicity representation" she's not white.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Someone invited me over to give my two cents on the topic.
    Oh...uh...that's kind of strange.

Extraordinary Member

By the way the first real appearance of jessica was i think a vision simon baz had or someone had.
    I don't think she look white there.
    By the way simon baz is brown,not white.
    He is another brown superhuman green lantern like jessica.

BANNED

Okay, what does any of this have to do with John Stewart? o_______O
    If people want to talk Jessica Cruz, she probably has her own topic somewhere around here.

Extraordinary Member

Here some info on Kryptonians by the way.
    Kal-El can lead an alter ego as Clark Kent because Kryptonians appear identical to humans. Also, in both Silver Age and Modern Age continuity, Kryptonians have more than one ethnic group, such as dark-skinned Kryptonians from Krypton's Vathlo Island that resemble Earth humans of Sub-Saharan African descent and a group from the continent of Twenx that resemble Earth Asian and Latino peoples.

In the first stories about Superman's origins, all Kryptonians possess on their homeworld the same powers Superman has on Earth. In later depictions, their abilities are attributed to the differences between Earth's gravity and that of Krypton and the different radiation of the stars they orbit. Kryptonians use solar energy from yellow, blue, orange or white stars on the cellular and molecular levels to gain superhuman abilities. The light of dwarf stars, pulsars, and quasars also grants Kryptonians different abilities. Some stories also show that Kryptonians have bioelectric fields that surround their bodies and protect them from harmand which are the means by which Kryptonians fly. Certain individuals (including Conner Kent, Chris Kent, and some Phantom Zone criminals) have sometimes been depicted with "tactile telekinesis". The abilities of Kryptonians evolve and grow more powerful as Kryptonians age and develop.

Supermen of Color: The Non-White Kryptonians - Newsarama
    https://www.newsarama.com/1890-super...yptonians.html