Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    BANNED

"That awkward moment when..."

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Has he been solicited to do a cover with John on it? I'm used to him only doing female characters.
    Yea, he's doing a DARK NIGHTS: DEATH METAL #4 variant cover with John Stewart. Holt posted it a few pages back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, he's doing a DARK NIGHTS: DEATH METAL #4 variant cover with John Stewart. Holt posted it a few pages back.
    Well, I never thought I'd see the day when John started looking like cake, LOL

Looking forward to it though, haha

Cool that he's maintaining his sex symbol status.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Well, I never thought I'd see the day when John started looking like cake, LOL

Looking forward to it though, haha

Cool that he's maintaining his sex symbol status.

John Stewart is the ultimate male super-hero sex symbol.
    The Captain Kirk of Green Lantern universe.
    He’s been paired with Katma Tui, Merayn Dethalis, Vixen,
    Fatality, the durlan that replaced Fatality
    and not just one but two Hawkgirl’s!

And one of Hal’s ex’s!

Red, blue, brown, winged, dude is a legend!

John Stewart in Green Lantern: Earth One vol. 2 preview

Can read more from GraphicPolicy

I have a strange feeling about that graphic novel. I feel like John might get killed off or something. I just have that feeling.

Ultimate Member

John Stewart in Green Lantern: Earth One vol. 2 preview

I have a strange feeling about that graphic novel. I feel like John might get killed off or something. I just have that feeling.
    John is a Yellow Lantern-FLAG 1-3.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER.

BANNED

Yeah, there's absolutely zero chance he's going to be the main character or written with any respect, for reasons that have already been identified in this thread. John rose to fame as the Green Lantern, and this wants to diminish that brand.

I think they made John a yellow lantern, so he could be seen as a lesser character and make Gabriel Harman's favorite character look better. And even if the story with John is really good, I'm sure it would be used as an argument that John is better as a yellow lantern than he is as a Green Lantern. That's how far these writers will go.

Incredible Member

Personally i like how John Stewart has been shown recently. Combine that with his lack of a need of a power ring (wonderful in my opinion. Absolutely wonderful) and i wondered if this fantastic character update might be intended to move him away from his Green Lantern name and into a new superhero identity (and costume)? I realize that is extremely unlikely as the Green Lantern Corps is synonymous with John and his brand is built upon that thus far but .... could he transcend that group?

Could he become .... more than a Green Lantern now? The John Stewart archetype is one i'd pay money to read more stories about.

Again i realize that due to brand / real life corporate financial responsibilities that a move of this type would be unlikely.
    Don't complain. Create.

I think they made John a yellow lantern, so he could be seen as a lesser character and make Gabriel Harman's favorite character look better. And even if the story with John is really good, I'm sure it would be used as an argument that John is better as a yellow lantern than he is as a Green Lantern. That's how far these writers will go.
    Many writers will always see John as "lesser" because he was introduced as Hal's backup. (and if Hal's their fav there's no reason to hold that against them, John just needs more writers in his corner who think of him as their fav) It was the franchise that started with Hal's series and John appeared in Hal's title almost exclusively until "Mosaic." I don't think a writer is going out of their way to make John seem lesser, it's that they already think of him as such. More's the pity, and it's the presumption that needs to be overcome before John can shine.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Many writers will always see John as "lesser" because he was introduced as Hal's backup. (and if Hal's their fav there's no reason to hold that against them, John just needs more writers in his corner who think of him as their fav) It was the franchise that started with Hal's series and John appeared in Hal's title almost exclusively until "Mosaic." I don't think a writer is going out of their way to make John seem lesser, it's that they already think of him as such. More's the pity, and it's the presumption that needs to be overcome before John can shine.
    Meanwhile Spider-Man has ZERO issues with showing respect to Miles, Peter, Miguel, Venom and all those spider folks.

If they already see him as such-they have no business writing him and in fact no business at DC. And why don't they see Kyle or Guy or Simon or Jessica like that?

And when you have a good old boy's network it's hard to get folks who care for John. The last two they got-end up chased out of DC. One is no longer with us McDuffie and the other doesn't do comics anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Meanwhile Spider-Man has ZERO issues with showing respect to Miles, Peter, Miguel, Venom and all those spider folks.

If they already see him as such-they have no business writing him and in fact no business at DC. And why don't they see Kyle or Guy or Simon or Jessica like that?

And when you have a good old boy's network it's hard to get folks who care for John. The last two they got-end up chased out of DC. One is no longer with us McDuffie and the other doesn't do comics anymore.
    Well to be fair Guy, Kyle and Simon are all in limbo no where to be seen right now and Jessica is getting used because DC is treating her as the female counterpart hero (ie like Supergirl, Batgirl, Hawkgirl).

Extraordinary Member

It might be lightning in a bottle to find a creative team who can come to the GL franchise, and find fan-friendly niche's for the core characters in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The fact is, is that John Stewart was viewed by millions of people, because of the JL cartoons to the point where he was arguably even more popular than Hal Jordan among the new generation at the time. All of those things you're talking about is pre DCAU. I'm talking about post DCAU here. There's absolutely no excuses for what these writers did with the character. Guy Gardner was also a backup, but even then, he had his own book at least, even when you had writers out there who preferred Hal as their favorite. Same for Kyle. My issues with the way they treated John Stewart around the Geoff Johns era wasn't because John wasn't the number one, but the fact how diminished the character's role was compared to not just Hal, but to Guy and Kyle in this big GL events. They refused to capitalize on his success on the JL cartoons. I think it's more than just them not being fond of John Stewart, but they seem to be more ashamed of the character being successful, which been proven to how he's been treated among Geoff Johns and Tom King. Look at how Tom King written John in that Darkseid War special. On John Stewart's last dying breath, he thought about Hal Jordan. And Hal became a God, while John Stewart was the inferior black man to the white character. He basically used a popular GL like John to worship Hal Jordan being the savior before getting killed off. The issue itself was nothing but black best friend bullshit, which I think it's kind of racist for a writer to disrespect a character like that the way he did. Guys like that may say that they're behind minorities (in this case, black characters), but their actions speaks louder than words.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 08-01-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For me John and Hal are interchangeable. I have no nostalgic reasons to like one over the other. Just want GL fun in space. It seems like a good thing to push John, though. DC has enough white males around. Reading about John hanging around with the JL and the GL Corps seems the right thing to do. Maybe Morrison's take would be even better by using John