Page 58 of 145 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    If Bendis did something off, would it be weird to see an article about it in a Spider-man thread?
    Not if it were a Miles thread, but that's just because Bendis created him.

Yeah. Johns is no longer on GL anyway.

John is featured in the newest Fandome promo.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1294046112496721922

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah. Johns is no longer on GL anyway.

John is featured in the newest Fandome promo.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1294046112496721922
    I’m glad to see John Stewart in there. Whoever has drawn that must’ve been inspired by Ivan Reis since that was his art from Blackest Night. Looks good!

So what is with this whole DCFandom event? Are there going to be new announcements or something on the comic book side?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I’m glad to see John Stewart in there. Whoever has drawn that must’ve been inspired by Ivan Reis since that was his art from Blackest Night. Looks good!

So what is with this whole DCFandom event? Are there going to be new announcements or something on the comic book side?
    I would point you to the DCFandome thread going on now, but what it is is a 24 hour online event next Saturday the 22nd, where dc will show off tv shows, movies, comics, and video games. There are expected to be movie and video game news with the Black Adam movie, The new Suicide Squad movie, and the new Rock Steady Suicide Squad game. There’s also a bunch of fan stuff you can do in some sort of online interactive medium.

We think there will be comic stuff there but it’s hard to say, especially after the recent firings.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

When even your dead wife says you spend too much time in introspection.....

Extraordinary Member

Bronze Age/Pre-Crisis love, Folks....

Extraordinary Member

I truly LOL'd when I read this adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I would point you to the DCFandome thread going on now, but what it is is a 24 hour online event next Saturday the 22nd, where dc will show off tv shows, movies, comics, and video games. There are expected to be movie and video game news with the Black Adam movie, The new Suicide Squad movie, and the new Rock Steady Suicide Squad game. There’s also a bunch of fan stuff you can do in some sort of online interactive medium.

We think there will be comic stuff there but it’s hard to say, especially after the recent firings.
    I might check it out. Thanks for the info!

I surely hope this DCFandom will show new titles for black characters, because right now, it's looking like there's literally NO black-led title from the upcoming solicitations. This might be a bad image for DC, especially when they claim black lives matter on their twitter account. It's an embarrassment when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Your comment gives me a thought, which leads to a question:
    -- If John were given a title teamed with another hero the way Hal had a legendary run with Green Arrow, who would you choose as an interesting counterpoint to John, in terms of powers and personality? What would be the log line of that title? (i.e. for "Hard Traveling Heroes" it was, "A progressive hero of the people and an authoritarian space cop hit the road to explore the ills of America" or something...)

i wish someone came to mind, but I will give it a thought...
    I thought about it, and a couple combos came to mind:
    Wally West Flash
    -- Let's assume he gets over being Flash/Manhattan and just becomes a Flash again. I could see these two teaming up on a title. Yes, it sparks some nostalgia for the JL animated series, but of course in the comics, John and Wally don't have the same history. But it keeps take a long-standing tradition of pairing a GL and a Flash.
    -- John could help Wally get over what he did in "Identity Crisis." I'm not sure how Wally's been handled since then, but I imagine he might not have totally come to terms with it. John, having gotten over Xanshi and found a way to go on, can help Wally process his trauma.
    -- Their dynamic in the JL animated series was fun to watch and regardless of not having the same history, they can still have the same interplay. (once John helps Wally get over the "IC" thing)
    -- Their powers are complementary enough that the story won't have to find excuses for the less powerful one to be relevant to the story or to make the other less powerful, the way team-ups with Batman/Superman or GL/Green Arrow sometimes do.

Vixen
    -- I think the pairing would be exciting enough on its own to pique interest.
    -- Yes, it would ultimately be a relationship/love story that would really take its time to develop before they even become an official couple.
    -- I can't think of what would bring them together, but it can be contrived the first time or two then it becomes about them having enough in common that it begins to make more sense. I mean, why are Batman and Superman together all the time? Just because they want to at some point.
    -- It would be good to see John in a good relationship again - he kinds needs it, imo. (and yes, they should address his marriage to Katma since it was a big part of his life)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Vixen
    -- I think the pairing would be exciting enough on its own to pique interest.
    -- Yes, it would ultimately be a relationship/love story that would really take its time to develop before they even become an official couple.
    -- I can't think of what would bring them together, but it can be contrived the first time or two then it becomes about them having enough in common that it begins to make more sense. I mean, why are Batman and Superman together all the time? Just because they want to at some point.
    -- It would be good to see John in a good relationship again - he kinds needs it, imo. (and yes, they should address his marriage to Katma since it was a big part of his life)
    Mari and John have been on the same Justice League roster before, both in the comics (when Dwayne McDuffie was writing the title, unless I'm mistaken) and also in the "Justice League Unlimited" animated series, so perhaps they get sent on a long mission somewhere together, and things just develop from there.

For instance, in one of the "Justice League Unlimited" episodes, Martian Manhunter sent Vixen on a space mission with Hawkgirl and Vigilante because he felt that Vixen needed more experience being in space. So maybe in a potential comic, Martian Manhunter sends John on a space mission and tells him to bring Vixen along so that she can gain more space experience.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 08-14-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

What issue and date did John first join the Justice League?

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What issue and date did John first join the Justice League?
    Justice League of America #110--A Christmas-themed issue, lol

[In the words of Luke Cage, "Sweet--"]

On-sale Date: 12-06-1973

Cover Dated: March 1974.

Mal Duncan debuted in 1970, but didn't become the Guardian until 1976. Tyroc appeared in 1976. Black Lightning wasn't created until 1977.

John was an active Green Lantern in December 1971/January 1972 and worked alongside the League in 1973.

You can debate whether or not Mal or John was the first black superhero at DC, but since Mal didn't technically become Guardian until 1976-- I think John has him beat as DC's first black superhero. (Black Racer debuted earlier in 1971 as a villain).

Black Panther debuted over at Marvel in 1966, with Black (Gabe Jones, 1963) and Asian (Jim Morita, 1967) Howling Commandos in desegregated military units being published earlier. Bill Foster appeared in 1966 but didn't become Goliath until 1975. Falcon appeared in 1969. Sunfire appeared in 1970. Luke Cage debuted in 1972. Storm appeared in 1975. Stan, Jack, and Marvel were ahead of the curve.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-15-2020 at 10:09 AM.