Page 40 of 145 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    What do they mean by pin-up? I looked at it and wondered what it was and where's John at in all of that?
    Pin ups are just posters. You "pin" them up onto your wall or corkboard or whatever. This is where the term "pin up girl" comes from.

John also lacks his own decade cover.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-23-2020 at 01:45 PM.

BANNED

So it looks like there's finally going to be a John/Hawkgirl moment in the story. Man, I couldn't be even more excited to see this.
    That's cool, but it sucks that it's the totally wrong Hawkgirl. >___<

Oh well. I guess they got about 50% of the way there. Better than nothing. That must've been DC editorial's doing. I can't see McDuffie making an oversight like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's Dwayne McDuffie's wife, right?
    Has she ever written anything before? I hope this is good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Has she ever written anything before? I hope this is good.
    Yeah. She's done quite a bit of work in animation.

Personally, I would have preferred if she had done a story set in the DCAU that finally completes the Green Lantern/Hawkgirl story, because the cartoon left things quite up in the air. But again, I'm actually a bit surprised they are acknowledging that in comics at all, so good on them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Yeah. She's done quite a bit of work in animation.
    Yeah...I forget if she wrote any DCAU or Static, but I know she wrote a lot for McDuffie's Ben 10 cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Pin ups are just posters. You "pin" them up onto your wall or corkboard or whatever. This is where the term "pin up girl" comes from.

John also lacks his own decade cover.
    So that's what it means. Thanks.

I don't see why John is like the only Green Lantern not getting a pin-up. I find this really strange.

That's cool, but it sucks that it's the totally wrong Hawkgirl. >___<

Oh well. I guess they got about 50% of the way there. Better than nothing. That must've been DC editorial's doing. I can't see McDuffie making an oversight like that.
    Other than John missing in that pin-up (which I'm disappointed about), this is probably one of the most positive things they done with John so far.

I also prefer him to be with Shayera, but I think it's because Shayera Hol is sharing the book with Hawkman and she's romantically involved with him now. I'm more than sure all of this is editorial. I actually wonder whether editorial was also involved with Scott Snyder pairing Kendra with Manhunter. Or maybe that was his decision perhaps?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Please move away from the marine persona.
    Idk, kinda fond of it. Shows he was in one corps then another, and that's pretty interesting because it alludes to a commentary about the Oans... they're really only practicing imperialism on a cosmic scale.

The yellow concept is interesting, easy pick up imho
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

So that's what it means. Thanks.

I don't see why John is like the only Green Lantern not getting a pin-up. I find this really strange.

Other than John missing in that pin-up (which I'm disappointed about), this is probably one of the most positive things they done with John so far.

I also prefer him to be with Shayera, but I think it's because Shayera Hol is sharing the book with Hawkman and she's romantically involved with him now. I'm more than sure all of this is editorial. I actually wonder whether editorial was also involved with Scott Snyder pairing Kendra with Manhunter. Or maybe that was his decision perhaps?
    Personally, I would have put Kendra with Hawkman and Shayera with John Stewart, because that makes a whole heck of a lot more sense, from my perspective. If I couldn't get that set-up, I think I would just leave the whole thing alone instead of doing something half way there and confusing matters more than they already are with these characters. At the same time, I think it's pretty cool DC is finally acknowledging the Hawkgirl Green Lantern thing at all, even if it is not at all what I would have done, or the way I would have preferred to see it.

I believe the Martian Manhunter pairing was Snyder's weird idea. I don't think he's all that big of a fan of John Stewart. John may be his favorite Lantern, but I get the impression Snyder isn't all that into Green Lantern in general. Not that he doesn't like it, but he's probably not a big fan of it.

I think it's okay for John to be a former Marine. The problem is with one-note characterization and writers not exploring the character all that much or in a satisfactory manner.

Personally, I would have put Kendra with Hawkman and Shayera with John Stewart, because that makes a whole heck of a lot more sense, from my perspective. If I couldn't get that set-up, I think I would just leave the whole thing alone instead of doing something half way there and confusing matters more than they already are with these characters. At the same time, I think it's pretty cool DC is finally acknowledging the Hawkgirl Green Lantern thing at all, even if it is not at all what I would have done, or the way I would have preferred to see it.

I believe the Martian Manhunter pairing was Snyder's weird idea. I don't think he's all that big of a fan of John Stewart. John may be his favorite Lantern, but I get the impression Snyder isn't all that into Green Lantern in general. Not that he doesn't like it, but he's probably not a big fan of it.

I think it's okay for John to be a former Marine. The problem is with one-note characterization and writers not exploring the character all that much or in a satisfactory manner.
    If anything, Shayera should've been in the Justice League, while Kendra gets to be in Hawkman's book. Another issue is that Shayera is no longer Hawkgirl, she's Hawkwoman. It's possible that these decisions were made to benefit Kendra more, because she's minority. But I'm glad they're finally acknowledging it, even though it's not 100% accurate.

Scott Snyder seems like he's more of a fan of Martian Manhunter than he is of John Stewart. In fact, a lot to the JL stories centered around Martian Manhunter. More so than any other character. Not only did he swapped popular DCAU moment with John for Martian Manhunter to pair with Hawkgirl, but he even added Lex Luthor to his origin story. It's possible that Martian Manhunter is one of his favorite DC characters. I wouldn't be surprise by this.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-25-2020 at 09:09 AM.

This is how the characters SHOULD'VE been treated back then. All equal. I'm most interested in the John Stewart story by Charlotte McDuffie and Robert Venditti's story.

Oh and check out the description on what it says about what McDuffie's story is going to be about with John Stewart:

So it looks like there's finally going to be a John/Hawkgirl moment in the story. Man, I couldn't be even more excited to see this.
    Is that Shayera or Kendra? Looks more like Kendra and is it set in (the admittedly flimsy) main continuity?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Idk, kinda fond of it. Shows he was in one corps then another, and that's pretty interesting because it alludes to a commentary about the Oans... they're really only practicing imperialism on a cosmic scale.
    It was never really explored on the comics' side, imo. Marine John was dynamic in animation while a wall-flower in the comics.

John seemed more of a well-rounded character right before the first Crisis, imo.

With a little creativity, a lot of fun could be had with exploring the marine side in the comics.

I thought John was hilarious interacting with Shayera, Wally, Supergirl, and Vixen.

Extraordinary Member

I'm most interested in the John Stewart story by Charlotte McDuffie and Robert Venditti's story.

I hope the story is good. The art is just beautiful.

Extraordinary Member

The recent case of police brutality in MN got me thinking of John's first appearance.

John just rolls up on the cop, and grabs his shoulder, giving him the business.

No fear!

Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 05-27-2020 at 02:10 PM.