Page 100 of 145 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2163
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Have any of you read the wheelchair John era? I haven't and I'm not in any hurry to do so. Were there any big developments there? I know he was not doing superhero stuff obviously but I never see any mention of that era. I guess the same goes for Guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Have any of you read the wheelchair John era? I haven't and I'm not in any hurry to do so. Were there any big developments there? I know he was not doing superhero stuff obviously but I never see any mention of that era. I guess the same goes for Guy.
    Yeah, I've read it before. I can understand why John Stewart fans wouldn't mention or know much about that era, because John was essentially a supporting character for Kyle Rayner. The biggest development for John Stewart is one that basically everyone knows about, which is the Fatality character. She was technically a foe for Kyle Rayner to fight, but her whole motivation centered around John Stewart. Besides that, he was still living with his girlfriend Merayn, who was a hold over from the Darkstars comic. I kinda' find that somewhat charming (even though I shouldn't at all because that should be the norm), because these days, I highly doubt that continuity would have been acknowledged at all, and Merayn would likely just disappear without explanation.

Probably the silliest thing about that era regarding John was that whoever was writing Final Night (I don't remember, off the top of my head) actually had Hal Jordan cure John, but that didn't sit well with either Ron Marz or Kevin Dooley, or both, and they essentially BS'd a reason for him to go right back in the wheel chair. Apparently, Hal used emerald energy to heal John, and John...uh...tapped into that during a fight with Fatality and blasted her. But in so doing, he lost the energy that had healed him and was paralyzed from the waste down again.

I think those Ron Marz Kyle Rayner comics are okay and can be pretty cool at times. They're by no means brilliant or even especially awesome, but they can certainly be good fun, and they're good fun at a consistent enough level to be pretty solid. In my estimation the book suffers when Judd Winnick took over, and it was all downhill from there.

However! I don't think any of that stuff is worth reading specifically for John Stewart. You'll see him there, but probably not in a large enough or desirable enough capacity to bother.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Yeah, I've read it before. I can understand why John Stewart fans wouldn't mention or know much about that era, because John was essentially a supporting character for Kyle Rayner. The biggest development for John Stewart is one that basically everyone knows about, which is the Fatality character. She was technically a foe for Kyle Rayner to fight, but her whole motivation centered around John Stewart. Besides that, he was still living with his girlfriend Merayn, who was a hold over from the Darkstars comic. I kinda' find that somewhat charming (even though I shouldn't at all because that should be the norm), because these days, I highly doubt that continuity would have been acknowledged at all, and Merayn would likely just disappear without explanation.

Probably the silliest thing about that era regarding John was that whoever was writing Final Night (I don't remember, off the top of my head) actually had Hal Jordan cure John, but that didn't sit well with either Ron Marz or Kevin Dooley, or both, and they essentially BS'd a reason for him to go right back in the wheel chair. Apparently, Hal used emerald energy to heal John, and John...uh...tapped into that during a fight with Fatality and blasted her. But in so doing, he lost the energy that had healed him and was paralyzed from the waste down again.

I think those Ron Marz Kyle Rayner comics are okay and can be pretty cool at times. They're by no means brilliant or even especially awesome, but they can certainly be good fun, and they're good fun at a consistent enough level to be pretty solid. In my estimation the book suffers when Judd Winnick took over, and it was all downhill from there.

However! I don't think any of that stuff is worth reading specifically for John Stewart. You'll see him there, but probably not in a large enough or desirable enough capacity to bother.
    Wait I thought John getting back into a wheelchair again happened under Winnick. There was also some retcon that the relapse was due to some trauma he had suppressed (which was never mentioned prior but comics and all that) which was pretty stupid. I mean it happens in real life but this had no build up and just seemed like a way to keep Kyle as the only Green Lantern.

Marz's run was alright but at times he didn't seem to know where he wanted to go with Kyle but that I put more on Kevin Dooley. He sounded like a bad editor from what I remember seeing at times while reading Vol. 3 and the stories about him from behind the scenes.

I don't suggest reading it at all and you don't get any (good) developments there. Judd Winnick's work for John is a piece of garbage. Sorry to say that, but it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Wait I thought John getting back into a wheelchair again happened under Winnick. There was also some retcon that the relapse was due to some trauma he had suppressed (which was never mentioned prior but comics and all that) which was pretty stupid. I mean it happens in real life but this had no build up and just seemed like a way to keep Kyle as the only Green Lantern.

Marz's run was alright but at times he didn't seem to know where he wanted to go with Kyle but that I put more on Kevin Dooley. He sounded like a bad editor from what I remember seeing at times while reading Vol. 3 and the stories about him from behind the scenes.
    Yes, it was Winick who's done the relapse. The relapse was due to John accidentally killing his own sister. Judd Winnick's run with John Stewart in the book is crap. Not only this, but John was thinking about being in the gang. Judd Winick even had the character saying he's just the failed black Green Lantern and how Guy and Hal are white and they're all more better than he is. I found his take on the character to be racially offensive. It wasn't needed at all. Like why would you even write John for him to think about being in a street gang!!? Because he's black!? I wouldn't recommend ANY John Stewart fan to read that. All it would do is just upset fans even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't suggest reading it at all and you don't get any (good) developments there. Judd Winnick's work for John is a piece of garbage. Sorry to say that, but it really is.

Yes, it was Winick who's done the relapse. The relapse was due to John accidentally killing his own sister. Judd Winnick's run with John Stewart in the book is crap. Not only this, but John was thinking about being in the gang. Judd Winick even had the character saying he's just the failed black Green Lantern and how Guy and Hal are white and they're all more better than he is. I found his take on the character to be racially offensive. It wasn't needed at all. Like why would you even write John for him to think about being in a street gang!!? Because he's black!? I wouldn't recommend ANY John Stewart fan to read that. All it would do is just upset fans even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post

Thank's for the feedback y'all. Poor John

"The Last Lanterns" written by GEOFFREY THORNE
    "The Last Lanterns" art by TOM RANEY
    "Teen Lantern" written by JOSIE CAMPBELL
    "Teen Lantern" art by ANDIE TONG
    "Hal Jordan" written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
    "Hal Jordan" art by DEXTER SOY
    cover by CLAYTON HENRY
    card stock variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    ON SALE 2/9/21
    $5.99 US | 48 PAGES | 2 OF 2 | FC | DC
    CARD STOCK COVER $6.99 US
    Outnumbered but never outwitted or outfought, John Stewart leads the last of the Green Lanterns against insurmountable odds. Facing a bloodthirsty Khund cult dedicated to the "God in Red," the onet-ime Green Lantern shows that even without a ring or the Corps to back him up, he's still a force to be reckoned with!
    Plus, from the pages of Young Justice, Teen Lantern teams up with Mogo, and Hal Jordan reconnects with Oliver Queen after the power battery goes down!

This is the best John has ever looked. I hope his design follows this going forward. Of course, being younger as well.

BANNED

I can hardly wait to read this arc-- Definitely looks awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yes, it was Winick who's done the relapse. The relapse was due to John accidentally killing his own sister.
    No, that's not exactly how it went. The relapse happened under Marz. Winnick is actually the one who got John out of the wheel chair permanently, by explaining that John's paralysis was due to a condition of the mind, not the body. John had to overcome his mental trauma to start walking again...which he did.

Maybe I'll see if I can find some scans of John relapsing due to the Fatality fight.

BANNED

I found it quicker than even I thought I would. This is when John lost the use of his legs for a second time. It's taken from this issue:

This is the best John has ever looked. I hope his design follows this going forward. Of course, being younger as well.
    that would be a bold move considering how much certain sections of fans really buy into the clean cut stoic take on John but I'm all here for it if were to be so bold. I feel this more rugged look adds a bit of regal-ish authority to his aesthetic. I don't see it happening long-term tho unfortunately
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

tom raney is CRUSHING the art.

nobody is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    tom raney is CRUSHING the art.

nobody is ready.
    I'm excited man, can't wait to see your work in January!

I'm excited man, can't wait to see your work in January!
    vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that would be a bold move considering how much certain sections of fans really buy into the clean cut stoic take on John but I'm all here for it if were to be so bold. I feel this more rugged look adds a bit of regal-ish authority to his aesthetic. I don't see it happening long-term tho unfortunately
    I've seen people cite that for bearded Aquaman. It definitely gives off a very different vibe compared to John's other designs.