Page 112 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2163
  1. #1666
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    how about we all just agree to disagree and not derail this thread with John v Hal nonsense for the umpteenth time.
    ^ This! Or more accurately, how about we all just agree that Hal and John are both great characters and that's why DC has kept both of them in active use for decades; and, judging by John's focus in Future State and Hal's focus in his own title, it doesn't look that's going to change any time soon.

    If Hal and John fans should be arguing against any characters it should be Simon and Jessica and any other Earth Green Lanterns that get invented in the future. Lord knows DC didn't need any more of them and yet there they've been for however many years, taking up pages that Hal or John (or even Guy or Kyle) could be using.

  2. #1667
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this, I can't that this statement seriously bro. I couldn't take a lot of this as serious good faith arguments (honestly at this point this the whole John v Hal "debate" is tired and cringey) but this part in particular I found the least serious.

    how about we all just agree to disagree and not derail this thread with John v Hal nonsense for the umpteenth time. there is a my Lantern is better than yours thread for that kinda stuff guys.
    No I’m serious. I’ve always wanted to see a gender swapped version of Hal and it remains a shame to me that Earth 11 didn’t provide one.
    Well, I have an idea to eradicate this debate. Maybe stop slandering he who must not be named and moaning about how John should own everything that creators built for another character?
    And, I’m no man. I would be appreciate if you don’t call me bro.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 11-30-2020 at 10:23 PM.

  3. #1668
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    John held ONE book. ONE BOOK. ONE BOOK.

    A 3 Oscar winning movie that made a billion makes the comic domain a MOOT point.

    Does that apply to Jessica, Simon, Guy, Kyle, Jo and all the REST of the Green Lanterns?
    In fact does that apply to She Hulk, Miles, Rhodey, Riri, Supergirl, Superboy, Steel, Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress, Catman, Cyborg Girl, Tim Drake Robin, Damian Robin, Venom, Carnage, Michael Holt, Wally West, Wallace West, Xs, Red Hulk, Red She Hulk, Rampage, Nubia, Star Girl, Donna Troy, Speedy, Conner Hawke, Impulse, Luke Fox, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Vixen, Freedom Beast, Impala, Duke Thomas, Jog, Power Man jr, Kate Bishop, Carol Danvers, Monica (Spectrum) and so many more I could name.

    Because UNLIKE these guys-Green Lantern is suppose to be about a SPACE FORCE. All 4000+ of them. Or does it ONLY apply to John Stewart?

    And if John was chosen for that show based on being black-SO WHAT? Honestly SO WHAT?

    Lets go on a history walk-between 1986 (FINAL season of Superfriends) to 2000 (first season of Justice League). What black DC OWNED character was on a DC show? As a LEAD? 14 years.
    Movies-Steel that ignore everything Superman related.
    Toys-how many black figures? Black Lightning & Steel.
    Clothes? NONE. Trades-NONE.
    Comic series DC OWNED-Steel, Black Lightning, GL Mosaic & Xero.
    So where was this great black hero better than John that Dc could have used? That Dc was NOT fighting with the creator. Who didn't have a flop in movie theaters.
    There was NONE.

    And finally it's HARD to find you OWN spot when you don't get stories. Especially in your OWN franchise. As Storm, Cyborg, Vixen & Duke fans will gladly tell you.

    John held Mosaic, GLC, Lost Army. That’s three. Len Wein pushed John as the main Green Lantern during COIE, guess what happened?
    Ironman was the core of MCU and he is still not a big-seller in comic domain.
    Honestly, I have to say, I’m not a native English speaker and your long-windedness has been quite confusing to understand most of the time. I honestly don’t know what you are saying and what’s the deal with the long list of characters. Maybe you could be more explicit about your opinions?

  4. #1669
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    No I’m serious. I’ve always wanted to see a gender swapped version of Hal and it remains a shame to me that Earth 11 didn’t provide one.
    Well, I have an idea to eradicate this debate. Maybe stop slandering he who must not be named and moaning about how John should own everything that creators built for another character?
    And, I’m no man. I would be appreciate if you don’t call me bro.
    From most of your comments in this thread and others I'm guessing you dislike John.

  5. #1670
    Astonishing Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    People who like both characters could stay out of the arguments and the people who just like Hal could stay out of this thread and that would end the back and forth.

  6. #1671
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    People who like both characters could stay out of the arguments and the people who just like Hal could stay out of this thread and that would end the back and forth.
    So only people who like only John are allowed to comment?

  7. #1672
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So only people who like only John are allowed to comment?
    "people who just like Hal could stay out of this thread."

    it's an appreciation thread, if someone don't like or appreciate John and only come here to go "uh-derr actually Hal is the only one who should lead the franchise" then they should take that elsewhere. there is a Green Lantern mythos thread and a "My Lantern is better than yours" thread where you can take that. people are tired of the John v Hal nonsense, honestly (even though there are legitimate criticisms for DC's treatment of John) I'm tired of this thread being nothing but downer crap about the state if DC's heroes of color. like we get it, DC has done their heroes of color dirt over the years but there has to be a better thread for that.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Tokyo Revengers, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • [DC: Other History of DC
    • [Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: MrM Source of Freedom, Static*, Hardware*, Urban Legends, Naomi s2, more Ridley/Batman, FS Gotham
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

  8. #1673
    Astonishing Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So only people who like only John are allowed to comment?
    I don't know how you got that from my comment but no that's not what I said.

    Obviously there are people here who like Hal, Kyle, Guy etc along with John but I find it redundant to engage in an argument that comes up every now and then, sometimes people are just ranting, let them (even if you find it annoying), it will end faster that way.

    And if you only like Hal, I think that's self-explanatory.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  9. #1674
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    People who like both characters could stay out of the arguments and the people who just like Hal could stay out of this thread and that would end the back and forth.
    True, but this is a John Stewart Appreciation Thread, not a Hal Jordan Disappreciation Thread, so if certain people could stop complaining about him so much, that would also help this thread stay on track.

    To help with that, what is everyone’s favorite hairstyle for John? I normally hate the short, shaved, buzzed cut look because it is the lazy artist’s go-to style for black characters, especially at DC (I absolutely hate it on Black Lightning for example), but for some reason John is the one black character I’m cool with it on. Maybe because he’s had it so long, I don’t know. It just suits him I think.

  10. #1675
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    True, but this is a John Stewart Appreciation Thread, not a Hal Jordan Disappreciation Thread, so if certain people could stop complaining about him so much, that would also help this thread stay on track.

    To help with that, what is everyone’s favorite hairstyle for John? I normally hate the short, shaved, buzzed cut look because it is the lazy artist’s go-to style for black characters, especially at DC (I absolutely hate it on Black Lightning for example), but for some reason John is the one black character I’m cool with it on. Maybe because he’s had it so long, I don’t know. It just suits him I think.
    I think the fade has become his signature in my eyes. it's only like a half step away from the low cut but I feel it works well for John, maybe grew it out a smidge for more texture. i REALLY dig the beard and locs look he's got going on in Last Lanterns. i don't think i could see it working as his regular but I still dig it a lot. I think a perfect John would be a grown out fade with a solid beard, nothing too big and burly but a solid beard nonetheless. that would be *chef's kiss*
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Tokyo Revengers, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • [DC: Other History of DC
    • [Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: MrM Source of Freedom, Static*, Hardware*, Urban Legends, Naomi s2, more Ridley/Batman, FS Gotham
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

  11. #1676
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    True, but this is a John Stewart Appreciation Thread, not a Hal Jordan Disappreciation Thread, so if certain people could stop complaining about him so much, that would also help this thread stay on track.
    I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I think some people misunderstood on SecretWarrior's original comment. He used the other character as an example for past mistakes, just like John. But said mistakes has been retconned, because it NEEDS to be retconned if you want to progress the character and get new fans. It's a good example on how DC fully invests into that character. This has yet to be done with John Stewart, which is what SecretWarrior would like to see done as well. And I agree with that. It had nothing to do with putting down any other character, but rather raising the character up by cleansing bad history for that character. It shows DC's fondness towards characters like that. And I would like to see that with John, too. Nothing wrong with that. And all of the sudden it turned into bickering.

    I also find it interesting how someone in this thread is alluding that John is only relevant, because of his race and even go far as putting him down against other black characters. And even compare those same black characters against her favorite character. This is a John Stewart appreciation thread, not an unappreciated one.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-01-2020 at 10:26 AM.

  12. #1677
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So only people who like only John are allowed to comment?
    That's not what kurenai24 said at all. If you're only a fan of a different Green Lantern that's not John, why even bother on this thread if all you do is say negative things about him in an appreciation thread?

  13. #1678
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post




    This looks wonderful!!! Beautiful art!

    I noticed that John Stewart still has a tattoo on his ring!

    This is good to see. Ron Marz has a history of writing out differences with Kyle's ring to an ordinary Green Lantern ring. If there's someone who can explain John's tattoo ring and the differences it may have, it's him.

    I hope the tattoo ring is long term and maybe permanent.

  14. #1679
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    This looks wonderful!!! Beautiful art!

    I noticed that John Stewart still has a tattoo on his ring!

    This is good to see. Ron Marz has a history of writing out differences with Kyle's ring to an ordinary Green Lantern ring. If there's someone who can explain John's tattoo ring and the differences it may have, it's him.

    I hope the tattoo ring is long term and maybe permanent.
    Has Snyder even expanded on the tattoo ring? We haven't seen John ask questions about it or even ask the Guardians of the Universe.

  15. #1680
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I think some people misunderstood on SecretWarrior's original comment. He used the other character as an example for past mistakes, just like John. But said mistakes has been retconned, because it NEEDS to be retconned if you want to progress the character and get new fans. It's a good example on how DC fully invests into that character. This has yet to be done with John Stewart, which is what SecretWarrior would like to see done as well. And I agree with that. It had nothing to do with putting down any other character, but rather raising the character up by cleansing bad history for that character. It shows DC's fondness towards characters like that. And I would like to see that with John, too. Nothing wrong with that. And all of the sudden it turned into bickering.

    I also find it interesting how someone in this thread is alluding that John is only relevant, because of his race and even go far as putting him down against other black characters. And even compare those same black characters against her favorite character. This is a John Stewart appreciation thread, not an unappreciated one.
    Agreed. Before the arguments, all SecretWarrior was saying was that DC should've gave John the same energy they were giving Hal.

    But anyway, Xanshi sucks and I guess Ridley was just using what John is most known for which is exactly why he needs a solo book so there's more material. I do wish writers would reference his earlier days with Katma more though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •