Page 124 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2163
    BANNED

Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-08-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Sorry I need to see some black fathers around who GET ALONG with their kid. Too many black males seem to have issues with Daddy or he is MIA.
    Despite what some with agenda think-black men do take care of their kids.
    Facts

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    John's mom has a good head on her shoulders, so I would assume (in the realm of fiction) she made a good choice with John's father. I can't remember any descriptions of his father though...

We know he has a sister (Rose or Lynn) and a (deceased) brother (Scott or Damon) though.

He also has an aunt Loretta. . . I think he has other family mentioned in Mosaic but otherwise forgotten.
    All that needs to be clean/cleared up ASAP..

Hopefully we can get a confirmation that he & BL share the same Lynn finally

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. I love the beats of the original story, but I'd like it told in a more contemporary setting. I watched the recap video of his New 52 origin and I found it lacking. The initial friction between Hal and John is a wonderful element to the origin story. This is really the first time Hal has to train his replacement and he completely misjudges John. It's a wonderful dynamic, but, as with most of Hard Travelling Heroes, it's too heavy handed for modern readers.

I would love to see an update that incorporates all the various elements from John's origins, including the notion that the Guardians chose John, rather than the ring choosing him, which I thought was an interesting distinction.

I think the relationship between John and his mother is a unique one that I've never seen in superhero comics. I'd rather they keep John's father absent and not an issue. There are too many GLs with daddy issues already

Extraordinary Member

Sorry I need to see some black fathers around who GET ALONG with their kid. Too many black males seem to have issues with Daddy or he is MIA.
    I get you you are saying. However, the main thing with John is will power. John is gonna be a hero regardless of his parentage.

Too many heroes got daddy stuff going on for my taste (as Bored posted). Hal Jordan & Guy Gardner have become way too defined by their fathers, imo.

John was seen as special since birth by the Guardians, and that is more than good enough for me.

Whether he was decent or not, it is not a deal breaker if Poppa Stewart is never mentioned in this case.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 12-08-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

That's fair. Have any stories been done with John's father? I can't remember any.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Facts

All that needs to be clean/cleared up ASAP..

Hopefully we can get a confirmation that he & BL share the same Lynn finally
    As far as I know there is Mom, grand parents, a brother, adopted brother and a dead sister. At least before New 52 removed families from most characters of color.

I just don't want deadbeat Dad to show up to make certain agenda lead folks feel good. Got enough of that mess in Black Panther.

As far as I know there is Mom, grand parents, a brother, adopted brother and a dead sister. At least before New 52 removed families from most characters of color.

I just don't want deadbeat Dad to show up to make certain agenda lead folks feel good. Got enough of that mess in Black Panther.
    Absolutely. I do not want John's dad to be an issue. Too many daddy issues in GL comics, but, if there does have to be some explanation for why John has never mentioned his dad in decades of publication, it better make for a damned good story.

Can we all agree that Winnick's MASH finale ripoff flashback tale for John never happened and nobody ever needs to bring it up again. John has a dead sister, yes, but that story was embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Absolutely. I do not want John's dad to be an issue. Too many daddy issues in GL comics, but, if there does have to be some explanation for why John has never mentioned his dad in decades of publication, it better make for a damned good story.

Can we all agree that Winnick's MASH finale ripoff flashback tale for John never happened and nobody ever needs to bring it up again. John has a dead sister, yes, but that story was embarrassing.
    I always been critical of Winick's work on John Stewart's past. Luckily Van Jensen retconned some of that nonsense. Super excited to see what's in store for us if John's origin get's retold. I'm sure it will.

I'm sorry for keep repeating this, but I'm going to say it again: I'm SUPER SUPER excited that John's getting a solo on the MAIN title!!! DC is definitely on my good side right now. I'm glad that our voices were loud enough to be heard.

Extraordinary Member

If Poppa Stewart has access to space travel to find little Johnny.....that's determination!

And LMAO....as I was also thinking about Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm sorry for keep repeating this, but I'm going to say it again: I'm SUPER SUPER excited that John's getting a solo on the MAIN title!!! DC is definitely on my good side right now. I'm glad that our voices were loud enough to be heard.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

When did John have a brother or a sister (besides the unconfirmed Lynn idea)? Before Crisis I assumed he was the only child from his mother's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    When did John have a brother or a sister (besides the unconfirmed Lynn idea)? Before Crisis I assumed he was the only child from his mother's comment.

I know for sure back in the 90s, around when Kyle was Ion (iirc), there was a whole thing about his guilt over causing and accident that killed his sister that was preventing him from walking after Parallax!Hal cured his paralysis (from when Darkseid's son beat the brakes off him as a Darkstar).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Enjoy this feeling for as long as it lasts. After a decade in the wildness, the one-two punch of New Frontier and GL: Rebirth was wonderful. Hopefully, John Stewart will get a renaissance like that now.