Page 125 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2163

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Enjoy this feeling for as long as it lasts. After a decade in the wildness, the one-two punch of New Frontier and GL: Rebirth was wonderful. Hopefully, John Stewart will get a renaissance like that now.
    I hope so, too!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I know for sure back in the 90s, around when Kyle was Ion (iirc), there was a whole thing about his guilt over causing and accident that killed his sister that was preventing him from walking after Parallax!Hal cured his paralysis (from when Darkseid's son beat the brakes off him as a Darkstar).
    Yeah, that was the crappy Winnick story I was talking about earlier. It was really awful. It rips off the series finale of MASH in a way so blatant that I have to think that Winnick was trolling his editors to see if he could get away with it. I mean this was theft worse than Marz shamelessly repeated the beginning of Broken Arrow with Hal as Christian Slater.

What about the possibility that John's father was Oan or Maltusian? That would certainly play off the whole "Chosen by the Guardians" idea that's been around.

However, again, it's a little too Chosen One/Star Lord, but it would explain why John's father has never been brought up before that doesn't rely on the well-worn Deadbeat Dad trope.

And I'd like John's origin to be as grounded in reality as possible to better contrast the cosmic stuff that comes later.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What about the possibility that John's father was Oan or Maltusian? That would certainly play off the whole "Chosen by the Guardians" idea that's been around.

However, again, it's a little too Chosen One/Star Lord, but it would explain why John's father has never been brought up before that doesn't rely on the well-worn Deadbeat Dad trope.

And I'd like John's origin to be as grounded in reality as possible to better contrast the cosmic stuff that comes later.
    I'd rather keep John human and the less "chosen one" crap, the better. John should be great by the strength of his character, not some prophecy or genetic engineering. When we get thousands of Kryptonians, we see just why Clark is special and it's not that Rao's chosen, but because of who he is.

John--and all the Lanterns-- don't need to be a chosen one or Emerald sight or a tattoo ring. They just need to be interesting people with mastery over their ring. I like that the ring is essentially a uniform they can take off and be like anyone else. It adds to the scope of the things they encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'd rather keep John human and the less "chosen one" crap, the better. John should be great by the strength of his character, not some prophecy or genetic engineering. When we get thousands of Kryptonians, we see just why Clark is special and it's not that Rao's chosen, but because of who he is.

John--and all the Lanterns-- don't need to be a chosen one or Emerald sight or a tattoo ring. They just need to be interesting people with mastery over their ring. I like that the ring is essentially a uniform they can take off and be like anyone else. It adds to the scope of the things they encounter.
    Agreed. Maybe best to just leave John's dad off the shelf for now. His mother is certainly an interesting enough character on her own and DCU dads get way more attentions than the Ma Kents, Martha Waynes, and Laras do. The more emphasis on strong mothers out there in the DCU, the better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Agreed. Maybe best to just leave John's dad off the shelf for now. His mother is certainly an interesting enough character on her own and DCU dads get way more attentions than the Ma Kents, Martha Waynes, and Laras do. The more emphasis on strong mothers out there in the DCU, the better.
    Yeah, the dads get enough love for sure. It would be nice if John's father isn't a deadbeat, though. If he must be absent, I'd rather it but be because he's a sonuvabitch. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who likes when sometimes a hero doesn't need a tragic past, sometimes they are just compelled to help their fellow man because they're decent people.

Yeah, the dads get enough love for sure. It would be nice if John's father isn't a deadbeat, though. If he must be absent, I'd rather it but be because he's a sonuvabitch. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who likes when sometimes a hero doesn't need a tragic past, sometimes they are just compelled to help their fellow man because they're decent people.
    Altruism?

What is that?

Astonishing Member

Conversely, I don't have a problem with such elements or narratives. And while it's okay if you don't prefer those elements or narrative plot lines, I feel you're kind of sweeping them in a way that feels disrespectful. It's kind of hard to word it, but your dislike makes it feel like it's universally a negative thing. I don't agree that it is. For one thing, such elements or fuller-narrative applications don't preclude a character from being interesting on their own tenets. As well, there's nothing wrong with the idea that one of the things that makes them interesting includes those applicable elements and narrative ties.

So yes, give me my John with unique tattoo ring, and my Simon with his own unique capabilities, and my Kyle with his own unique destiny. (I miss White Lantern Kyle so much!) I love what these elements and narratives add to these characters, and I love what these characters add to these elements and narratives.

BANNED

I just want to say welcome and welcome back to y'all posting in this thread-- It's a pleasure to have you

BANNED

BANNED

Going commando

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-09-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I just want to say welcome and welcome back to y'all posting in this thread-- It's a pleasure to have you

This thread is a much happier place to post recently. I wonder why?

BANNED

This thread is a much happier place to post recently. I wonder why?
    LOL, credit where credit is due

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Going commando

Who's the third guy?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who's the third guy?
    Al Simmons/Spawn

I don't know about you, but I'd definitely buy a 90s commando John figure alongside an armored up Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-09-2020 at 08:33 AM.