Page 14 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

They should introduce Harold the mechanic from Batman comics into one these shows then a couple of seasons later reveal that his last name is actually Jordan and give him a GL ring. That makes just the same amount of sense as 'revealing' Diggle being John Stewart.

BANNED

I dunno', maybe I'm not a big enough fan of the character, but I'm just like "Who cares" about the whole Diggle thing. I don't see what damage it does to John Stewart, and besides, people should have seen this coming a mile away by now, so it's not like it's surprising, or anything. I mean, the character's name is John Diggle Stewart. What did you think was going to happen? According to an interview I recently read, the Arrow people would have pushed further with the John Stewart thing, but DC Entertainment wanted them to keep it somewhat vague, for whatever reason. Besides, it's a DC CW show. Those are always kind of warped in various ways from the traditional DC Universe from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-29-2020 at 01:58 PM.

The character's full name is John Thomas Diggle. He's never been called John Diggle Stewart. The Diggle name comes from Andy Diggle, who previously wrote Green Arrow: Year One, so the showrunners decided to honor him by naming one of their characters after him. On the show Diggle even has a younger brother literally called Andy Diggle because of that. Stewart is the last name of his stepfather that was never revealed until the last two seasons and he never officially takes that name. He's still John Diggle in the finale. His military background and being a black man with the name John was never intentionally meant to create associations with John Stewart, that became a fan theory that they eventually decided to acknowledge, no different than how Felicity became a main character on the show because people liked her when she was only supposed to be a guest character in the first season.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-29-2020 at 02:49 PM.

I'm not really down with the weird John Stewart parallel they've done with Diggle, it was clearly born of a fan theory where someone saw two superficially similar black characters and thought them interchangeable. that being said it doesn't necessarily bother me because it's not John Stewart, it's John Diggle, no matter how heavily they hit the parallels; and DC television isn't going to do anything like spin it off.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    His military background and being a black man with the name John was never intentionally meant to create associations with John Stewart, that became a fan theory that they eventually decided to acknowledge, no different than how Felicity became a main character on the show because people liked her when she was only supposed to be a guest character in the first season.
    Well, I guess the Arrow showrunners listened to their audience then. That's not always a bad thing to do.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I skimmed through Green Lantern: Legacy and it seems that John was actually a supporting character throughout the whole book and not only in one scene. Don't know how his writing was but he was appearing frequently.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I skimmed through Green Lantern: Legacy and it seems that John was actually a supporting character throughout the whole book and not only in one scene. Don't know how his writing was but he was appearing frequently.
    Personally, I don't like the writer retcons his own grandma as John's mentor. I feel that's disrespect for the GL lore and characters.

Well at least it's not in continuity. But even then, that's still bad. It actually takes away John's relationship with Katma, which makes no sense. Have the writer even read classic John stories!?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The character's full name is John Thomas Diggle. He's never been called John Diggle Stewart. The Diggle name comes from Andy Diggle, who previously wrote Green Arrow: Year One, so the showrunners decided to honor him by naming one of their characters after him. On the show Diggle even has a younger brother literally called Andy Diggle because of that. Stewart is the last name of his stepfather that was never revealed until the last two seasons and he never officially takes that name. He's still John Diggle in the finale. His military background and being a black man with the name John was never intentionally meant to create associations with John Stewart, that became a fan theory that they eventually decided to acknowledge, no different than how Felicity became a main character on the show because people liked her when she was only supposed to be a guest character in the first season.
    This is complete fine and I have no problem with it. It's pretty impressive that the audience were that vocal to the point that it reached to the CW execs. This is nothing but good news to me. Keep spreading the word in the industry about John Stewart! The more the better! If it wasn't for John appearing in the JL/JLU cartoons, non of this would have happen. Just shows how much of an impact that cartoon has made

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Is that Iolande on the left?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is that Iolande on the left?
    Yeah. No idea why her hair is white.

Katma thing aside (though John's exact words were that Kim was "like a mentor to him" not that she was his one and only mentor), I actually really liked this book. In fact I'm kinda disappointed it's not in continuity. it's the most fun I had with a DC title since Super Sons and I liked the idea of John mentoring a young lantern.

Also, Tai's the Teen Lantern we should have gotten in Young Justice. That kid is just...awesome.
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-30-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Does anyone think John David Washington could be a good John Stewart.
    ah. very cool. that could happen.

Who is John Stewart? by BlerdwithoutFear
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."