Page 144 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2163
    BANNED

While I prefer Michael B. Jordan, Ricky is not "too White" for the role. That's blatant colorism.

What the American Black Diaspora looks like: "Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2–82.1% West African, 16.7%–24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native American genetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals." Kinda tired of people only counting light-skins as black when its politically, economically, or sexually expedient.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-29-2020 at 01:55 PM.

for nearly all its history "Hollywood" had preferred the lightest possible skin on its black actors of either gender, delegating the darker skinned to the roles of criminals, "deviants" and psychopaths. this isn't even close, ratio-wise. In the LAST DECADE the film industry, largely due to the influx of more black people in decision-making roles behind the scenes and the global phenomenon that is Hip Hop, has discovered dark-skinned black women with different body shapes than the airy European runway model. This is a GOOD thing. For EVERYONE.

"Colorism" is about light-skinned blacks doing the same thing to dark-skinned blacks that whites did to ALL blacks. There is no reverse. The Paperbag test was something my grandmother pulled on my mother when my father brought her home. There are MASSIVE and disgusting cultural and social reasons for why this came about but the bottom line is Dark-skinned blacks didn't invent that. It's a function of white supremacy.

My father, a light skinned black man and my mother, a dark-skinned black woman created me- a milk chocolate black man and my brother - a cafe mocha black man.

The truth is black people- african-african, euro-african, british-african, latin-african etc. come in ALL colors and combinations. Even without "mixing" with white people.

ALL.

When you purposely ONLY cast "bi-racial" women with Euro normative features to portray characters who are illustrated as DARK- for decades in some cases- you are making a fairly ugly point about what you think "attractive" means.

And, no, SUNSPOT was created to be a dark-skinned AFRO-Brazillian. It took decades of whitewashing to give him his current look.
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-29-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    for nearly all its history "Hollywood" had preferred the lightest possible skin on its black actors of either gender, delegating the darker skinned to the roles of criminals, "deviants" and psychopaths. this isn't even close, ratio-wise. In the LAST DECADE the film industry, largely due to the influx of more black people in decision-making roles behind the scenes and the global phenomenon that is Hip Hop, has discovered dark-skinned black women with different body shapes than the airy European runway model. This is a GOOD thing. For EVERYONE.

"Colorism" is about light-skinned blacks doing the same thing to dark-skinned blacks that whites did to ALL blacks. There is no reverse. The Paperbag test was something my grandmother pulled on my mother when my father brought her home. There are MASSIVE and disgusting cultural and social reasons for why this came about but the bottom line is Dark-skinned blacks didn't invent that. It's a function of white supremacy.

My father, a light skinned black man and my mother, a dark-skinned black woman created me- a milk chocolate black man and my brother - a cafe mocha black man.

The truth is black people- african-african, euro-african, british-african, latin-african etc. come in ALL colors and combinations. Even without "mixing" with white people.

ALL.

When you purposely ONLY cast "bi-racial" women with Euro normative features to portray characters who are illustrated as DARK- for decades in some cases- you are making a fairly ugly point about what you think "attractive" means.

And, no, SUNSPOT was created to be a dark-skinned AFRO-Brazillian. It took decades of whitewashing to give him his current look.
    Can’t be better said.. the willfully ignorant will never understand/get it..

Man, I had forgotten how well built Ricky Whittle is. Been wanting to see him in a superhero vehicle since first seeing him in America Gods. Although I agree with the posters who say that he is not the right fit for John Stewart (John David Washington would be my pick). But then again, which character would he be a good fit for? The same reasoning that rules him out from playing John Stewart would also preclude him from Mr. Terrific, Steel, Cyborg, Icon and a lot of other characters.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Man, I had forgotten how well built Ricky Whittle is. Been wanting to see him in a superhero vehicle since first seeing him in America Gods. Although I agree with the posters who say that he is not the right fit for John Stewart (John David Washington would be my pick). But then again, which character would he be a good fit for? The same reasoning that rules him out from playing John Stewart would also preclude him from Mr. Terrific, Steel, Cyborg, Icon and a lot of other characters.
    I was gonna say. His John Stewart would look like ring slinging was him going easy on someone. Jesus Christ.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    While I prefer Michael B. Jordan, Ricky is not "too White" for the role. That's blatant colorism.

What the American Black Diaspora looks like: "Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2–82.1% West African, 16.7%–24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native American genetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals." Kinda tired of people only counting light-skins as black when its politically, economically, or sexually expedient.
    ^That's not the same as being biracial but Ricky would probably gain more controversy from the fact he's British.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 12-30-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I was gonna say. His John Stewart would look like ring slinging was him going easy on someone. Jesus Christ.
    huh. so will mine.

go figure.

My first thought would be Malcolm dragon or Kasper Cole, the most logic thing to do would be to cast him as a hero who white in comics. I can see him as Etrigan/Jason Blood, Timberwolf, Nova/Richard, Silver Surfer, Lobo, Azrael (Michael Lane), Azrael (Jean-Paul Valley), Booster Gold, Paladin, Zauriel, Hercules, Wonder Man, Mr. Miracle (Shilo Norman) (Mister Miracle (Scott Free), Blackhawk, Union Jack, Vindicator/Guardian, Vykin, Sasquatch, Goliath/Tom Foster, Martian Manhunter, Black Condor, Captain Atom, Orion, Phantom Stranger, The Question, Freight Train, I, Spyder, Adam Strange, Metamorpho,

jimlee GREEN LANTERN JOHN STEWART DC COMICS Original Art Sketch By JIM LEE for charity. Pen and ink with white out on 9x12” illustration board! As chosen by the high bidder on Golden Age Superman (@coingeek) this sketch is of John Stewart—the 4th human Green Lantern to protect sector 2814! Winner of this 3 day auction will get to choose the next DC character I draw. This is sketch 55 of a series of 60 original pieces. Proceeds to benefit comic shops in need during this unprecedented year via @thinkingbinc. Link in bio above!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    that's fantastic! man, Jim Lee seems like such a chill guy
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Bronze Tiger? Maybe Mal Duncan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Damn.....John is......smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Damn.....John is......smiling.
    Wild, ain’t it? Its crazy that it stands out for being so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Does it? Now I'm thinking about all the John art I've seen...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I was like....he's showing teeth.....and happy about life!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does it? Now I'm thinking about all the John art I've seen...
    Yep.....