Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Does anyone else kinda prefer architect-non-military John?
    I like merging both so we get the best of both worlds .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Does anyone else kinda prefer architect-non-military John?
    In comics, I think the non-military John was written a lot better. However, this only lasted for about 4 years, from about 1984 to 1988. The character really went down the toilet after Cosmic Odyssey. That's what is to blame more than anything for a boring, depressing John Stewart, not necessarily the marine addition.

That said, John's overall best showing to me was probably the first two seasons of the Justice League cartoon.
    So, I dunno'. It kind of evens out. Though, I admit, personality-wise, 80s John and 2000s John seem like vastly different characters regardless of what anyone says. Though, I suppose some could say the same about 60s Batman versus today's Batman.

John Stewart has been SO boring for SO long that I think people somewhat unfairly default to blaming the marine version for this. I think the JL toons show that version can work if he has the right emotional weight behind him like he did in the show. He has never really had anything at a comparable level in the comics since he's been a marine. However, I can completely understand if even his personality on the show does not jive with some viewers. He was kind of a buzzkill some of the time, but I thought there was a lot of humor and personality in the way it was done. I think he was specifically constructed to be somewhat of the opposite of the show's goofball version of Wally West.

Does he intereact with his Lynn or Black lightning at all?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Does he intereact with his Lynn or Black lightning at all?
    I don't think the comics have ever confirmed the relation as explicit canon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    In comics, I think the non-military John was written a lot better. However, this only lasted for about 4 years, from about 1984 to 1988. The character really went down the toilet after Cosmic Odyssey. That's what is to blame more than anything for a boring, depressing John Stewart, not necessarily the marine addition.
    Actually, about what I said...
    I guess you could make a strong point that the character first started to go off the rails when Christopher Priest senselessly had Katma brutally murdered, which happened right before Cosmic Odyssey.

He could have potentially bounced back from that, but instead things got even worse from there.

I guess you could make a strong point that the character first started to go off the rails when Christopher Priest senselessly had Katma brutally murdered, which happened right before Cosmic Odyssey.
    In my headcanon reboot, I'll avoid that. For John's sake, for Carol's sake, and, of course, for Katma's sake. So many interesting things could have been done.

Yea, I don't really think the military aspect is what hurt John. At least it's what made him popular and well received, thanks to the JL cartoon. It really comes down to the writers' responsibility on characterizing John. A lot of writers from what I've seen aren't really that fond of John as much as the other Green Lantern characters. So you end up with a one-dimensional character with little personality. A well-written John Stewart would show a writer putting a lot of investment toward John Stewart and how much he appreciates the character (like Van Jensen). Van Jensen's version of John Stewart is probably the closest you would see, compared to the JL cartoon version. Which makes sense, considering Van Jensen admitting that John Stewart is his all time favorite DC character and his favorite character to write.

I prefer the young architect and hate the marine personally JusticeLeague110Substitute.jpg

Actually, about what I said...

He could have potentially bounced back from that, but instead things got even worse from there.
    John got past Cosmic Odyssey in The Road Back and GL: Mosaic

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    John got past Cosmic Odyssey in The Road Back and GL: Mosaic
    Tell that to Geoff Johns...and nearly every GL writer to write John Stewart since Mosaic, from Ron Marz all the way up to Van Jensen. I will give credit to Cullen Bunn for not mentioning Xanshi even once in his Lost Army story.

John moping about Xanshi (often while sitting or standing on an asteroid) or dealing with some Cosmic Odyssey reference has become a trope for the character at this point.

Besides, Xanshi was only one of the steps (albeit a huge one) in John's downward spiral. There is also his crippling and general sidelining during the Geoff Johns years that severely hurt him.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-01-2020 at 03:22 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

In a way it's a testament to how much people like John that despite all the crappy writing, out of nowhere cancellations, and wallpapering that people still like the character at all. He's kinda like the guy in my avatar that he's popular and well-liked despite the half ass way he's handled in the storyline.

Tell that to Geoff Johns...and nearly every GL writer to write John Stewart since Mosaic, from Ron Marz all the way up to Van Jensen. I will give credit to Cullen Bunn for not mentioning Xanshi even once in his Lost Army story.

John moping about Xanshi (often while sitting or standing on an asteroid) or dealing with some Cosmic Odyssey reference has become a trope for the character at this point.

Besides, Xanshi was only one of the steps (albeit a huge one) in John's downward spiral. There is also his crippling and general sidelining during the Geoff Johns years that severely hurt him.
    Excuse me, but why are you attacking me for? Do I look like any of those writers? Does it look like I want The Road Back and GL: Mosaic constantly ignored?!? Do you think I ever want to hear the word Xanshi ever again? Because, no. I don't. So maybe next time, instead of shooting the messenger you could try a little civility This IS a discussion board after all.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.

John will be part of the innagural wave of DC Multiverse figures from McFarlane.

BANNED

Coloring needs work, but I think these are mock-ups. Wish they had gone with the fade...

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Excuse me, but why are you attacking me for? Do I look like any of those writers? Does it look like I want The Road Back and GL: Mosaic constantly ignored?!? Do you think I ever want to hear the word Xanshi ever again? Because, no. I don't. So maybe next time, instead of shooting the messenger you could try a little civility This IS a discussion board after all.
    As someone with no stake in this, I personally didn't see Vampire Savior attacking you from that comment, it just seems like someone pointing out that subsequent writers have chosen to return to the Xanshi theme even after other writers tried to put it to rest. GL fandom is contentious enough between fans of different GL's, I don't think any offense was meant here, though I'm sure VS can speak for him or herself. Just and outside opinion...