Page 26 of 145 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

According to Robert Venditti:

It is my last arc. I may return to the characters at some point, but when I originally took on the series, it was going to be for an open-ended assignment — 24 issues or however long
    So it seems like he was going to write 24 issues.

Extraordinary Member

PHIL LAMARR Reprises JOHN STEWART Role to Lead the GREEN LANTERN OATH
    https://www.newsarama.com/49659-phil...tern-oath.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    PHIL LAMARR Reprises JOHN STEWART Role to Lead the GREEN LANTERN OATH
    https://www.newsarama.com/49659-phil...tern-oath.html
    I thought this was a new animated movie announcement, lol

BANNED

John's abs should become a meme like Nightwing's glutes.

BANNED

I like how Green Lantern basically filled in as Icon for the DCAU's Milestone characters.

BANNED

By the way, that's Jay Z rapping in the background. Love how so many black creators and artists supported the DCAU at the time because they knew McDuffie and knew they were part of something that gave kids role models and a sense of dignity about who they were. Same reason Black Panther got so much support from those inside the industry. I mean, it's not like they were getting huge paychecks for a kid's cartoon. They just liked seeing a superhero role model on the same level as the World's Finest.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-05-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I thought this was a new animated movie announcement, lol
    When I seen that on the Newsarama website, my heart pumped, because I also thought that was a movie announcement where John was the lead in an animated movie as well lol

I wonder how an animated movie would be if John was in an animated film? Would be nice to see an adventure with him and Katma

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

LMAO I don't even remember this. Dont blame her though.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Chibi John

20200405_125313.jpg

Jessica has good taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Absolutely adorable!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Hey, everyone. How are you guys feeling about John Stewart's treatment these days? I thought Venditti's recent Justice League story was a very good showcase for John's strategic prowess after months and months of John being pretty much wasted by Snyder after such a promising start.

With so many GLs to choose from these days, I was happy that John had settled in nicely as the resident Lantern of the League. However, then I saw this and quickly realised that John's current status quo might be short lived.

While I love John, I also think Jessica Cruz is a great character and a similarly perfect fit the League's GL spot. During the Rebirth JL run, having both her and Simon on the team was redundant and it didn't help that the stories were generally lame. However, Jessica is clearly getting the tap as the next big GL, which means John may end up going the way of Guy, Kyle, and Simon as someone who only appears every once and a while in group shots or for the occasional guest appearance. And that would suck.

Given the instability of the market right now, what would you think is a viable option for John Stewart moving forward? Might a JLU digital comic be a good idea after the success of the Batman TAS title? That cartoon is the primary reason for John Stewart's popularity for most fans, so it seems like the best way of keeping him in the public eye.

Of course, I could be wrong, and John will continue to keep his League spot for years to come, but I don't think I'm off base here. Whatever the next flagship Justice League team ends up being, I would not be surprised if Jessica Cruz is there in the GL role.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hey, everyone. How are you guys feeling about John Stewart's treatment these days? I thought Venditti's recent Justice League story was a very good showcase for John's strategic prowess after months and months of John being pretty much wasted by Snyder after such a promising start.

With so many GLs to choose from these days, I was happy that John had settled in nicely as the resident Lantern of the League. However, then I saw this and quickly realised that John's current status quo might be short lived.

While I love John, I also think Jessica Cruz is a great character and a similarly perfect fit the League's GL spot. During the Rebirth JL run, having both her and Simon on the team was redundant and it didn't help that the stories were generally lame. However, Jessica is clearly getting the tap as the next big GL, which means John may end up going the way of Guy, Kyle, and Simon as someone who only appears every once and a while in group shots or for the occasional guest appearance. And that would suck.

Given the instability of the market right now, what would you think is a viable option for John Stewart moving forward? Might a JLU digital comic be a good idea after the success of the Batman TAS title? That cartoon is the primary reason for John Stewart's popularity for most fans, so it seems like the best way of keeping him in the public eye.

Of course, I could be wrong, and John will continue to keep his League spot for years to come, but I don't think I'm off base here. Whatever the next flagship Justice League team ends up being, I would not be surprised if Jessica Cruz is there in the GL role.
    Eh, we'll see where things go. I haven't heard anything about Jessica leading a film or even co-leading one. Maybe she'll show up in whatever is planned for GLC on the silver screen or HBO. I doubt WB even really knows.

DC really does a crap job in consistently promoting its minority characters to get people to see them as on the same level as Supermsn and Batman because the people behind the scenes probably have disagreements on who the right minorities to push to the forefront are. At least they're not trying to push Cyborg anymore since that was always insulting and never made sense. They don't want to push black characters as a-list in general? Fine. They don't owe me anything, and I don't owe them anything in turn. We'll see where things go in the long run. Just seems like they're not interested in using superheroes to appeal to the young black kid demo anymore.

I wonder if things are changing on the toy front... Black GI Joes, Barbies, and baby dolls have been around since the 60s because it's made business sense. Maybe that's no longer the case... Other companies, like Mcfarlane toys, are still choosing to license John. It'll be interesting to see if that continues. I also Wonder if Jessica will be pushed as lead GL or as the GL equivalent of Supergirl or Batgirl.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-08-2020 at 04:22 AM.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-08-2020 at 04:26 AM.

BANNED

I don't know that DC Comics ever had an interest in appealing to a young black kid demo. WB Animation and Mattel may have been interested in such a thing, but I'm pretty sure DC never gave a crap about that.

Anyway, I highly doubt John Stewart will ever be an a-list character, largely for reasons like what was shown in that Lego video above. There are simply too many other characters people can use instead of him, and you can bet your butt people will use other characters instead of him. You can't say the same about Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman doesn't have 9 confusing alternates of herself running around that oftentimes pop up in cartoons or whatever with little explanation, pattern, or rhyme or reason instead of her. Wonder Woman is just Wonder Woman, for the most part, and everyone can easily and readily understand that, and they know what to expect when someone says, "Wonder Woman is going to show up." What's more, John isn't even the default Green Lantern. That's still easily Hal Jordan.

About the GL Justice League position, I think that's completely up to the whims of whoever is using the JL in a project. I don't think DC or WB really cares which GL is used these days, and AT&T certainly doesn't know anything about it. Whether John continues being in the League in future comics is anyone's guess. It's up to whoever will be working on the comic. Once DC decides to make another substantial effort with the League (the latest comics we've seen come out with them are filler content waiting for Snyder's event) I'm going to guess "no", simply based on those odds that I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-08-2020 at 08:17 AM.

BANNED

Most of DC's money comes from licensing. Historically there's been a demand for black characters in licensing deals. John is still licensed more than Cyborg, which says to me that which character you put forward does matter. You can't trick someone into buying an action figure or birthday card they don't like. How DC handles that-- who knows? As far back as Super Friends, they've needed black characters (even though "Black Vulcan" is lame).