Page 31 of 145 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Oh...uh...that's kind of strange.
    Clearly my expert opinion was needed.

And yeah Baz's family is originally from....Lebanon, I think? And....I'm probably remembering this wrong but didn't he or his family live in Syria for a bit too? I feel like Johns might've mentioned something like that in Baz's first arc, when he was trying to prove his innocence when he was accused of terrorism?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Brown is not a race. Amerindian is a race. White= Caucasian. Black = Subsahran African.

The people you mention qualify as White in central and South America. They are phenotypically White Hispanics who may have some Amerindian ancestry. If you said they were Italian, Spanish, or from some other Mediterranean culture, people would believe you.

Is this person Italian, Turkish, Irish, Peruvian, or Armenian?

Afro and Asian latinos have complained about representation for years in both the US and their native countries to largely deaf ears. There are more white Latinos at DC than Ameridian ones too. Jaime is a rare Anerindian Latino at DC.

DC has a poor but consistent track record when it comes to characters with sub saharan features. John Stewart is ethnically African American with a predominant Sub saharan African phenotype who presents as Black and would have a high percentage of African DNA if real.
    This is your problem. You’re trying to “One Drop rule” Latinos. The overwhelming majority of Latinos are multiracial (Amerindian + European + Sub Saharan African with even some Middle East thrown in. I myself came out 48% Amerindian, 46% European, 4% Sub Saharan African, 2% Middle Eastern, yet because I’m
    Light skin, have Hazel eyes and can grow light colored facial hair, I’m White? Heck no! I have a similar look to those women you called White/Caucasian.

That woman you posted is White btw, she looks nothing like Jessica Cruz and is closer to Harley or Diana in phenotype.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

So weird that terrorism had to be a part of Baz's origin.

Jessica Cruz is racially white in her earliest appearance (like Blanca Soto or any other known telenovella actress), is interpreted by some as having some Amerindian heritage based on coloring alone, even though caucasians like Ariana Grande can have dark complexion, particularly if they have Mediterranean ancestry. Jess also has Mexican ancestry and phenotypically white features in most renderings. Got it. Nothing is new. She looks like Veronica from Archie comics or Wonder Woman or Talia, but she's got a darker complexion when it's convenient. Got it.

Can we get back to John Stewart now?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-09-2020 at 10:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    This is your problem. You’re trying to “One Drop rule” Latinos. The overwhelming majority of Latinos are multiracial (Amerindian + European + Sub Saharan African with even some Middle East thrown in. I myself came out 48% Amerindian, 46% European, 4% Sub Saharan African, 2% Middle Eastern, yet because I’m
    Light skin, have Hazel eyes and can grow light colored facial hair, I’m White? Heck no! I have a similar look to those women you called White/Caucasian.

That woman you posted is White btw, she looks nothing like Jessica Cruz and is closer to Harley or Diana in phenotype.
    Phenotype is different than the one drop rule. Jessica Cruz has a white phenotype, whatever her distant fictional ancestry might be. Looks like Sofia Vegara or Blanca Soto or Sofia Loren or Audrey Hepburn or Gemma Arterton in Prince of Persia. Just add an accent for American audiences and let's call it a day.

This is why Latinos with Ameridian or African or Asian featires are swept under the rug. We want latino representation but only a certain kind. Don't worry, I'm familiar. It's the same situation non-Hispanic blacks, asians, and anerindian deal with.

Can we get back to the poor representation of John Stewart and the characters who look like him now?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-09-2020 at 10:16 AM.

BANNED

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Okay, what does any of this have to do with John Stewart? o_______O
    If people want to talk Jessica Cruz, she probably has her own topic somewhere around here.
    I’ll just say that any person of any color can look up to any hero of any color, which includes white children, Japanese children, Native America children, and children from any other such background looking up to black heroes, who should get as big of an opportunity as heroes of other colors/ethnicities/nationalities/other such backgrounds do to shine, and leave at there, where any continuing discussion can continue in the more relevant threads.

Moving on then.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    For some reason I think Shayera looks better with the Egyptian helmet than the modern one or maskless. It's a shame this is the only media where John Stewart gets play time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    For some reason I think Shayera looks better with the Egyptian helmet than the modern one or maskless. It's a shame this is the only media where John Stewart gets play time.
    Yeah. The character could have really taken off if everyone was on the same page, but Geoff Johns was doing his Hal Jordan run around the same time, and WB chose to get behind that interpretation of Green Lantern instead of what WB Animation was doing on their cartoons, and John weirdly went into the closet after playing such a big role in such a popular cartoon. It was very strange. I've literally never seen anything like that before that I can think of.

Yeah. The character could have really taken off if everyone was on the same page, but Geoff Johns was doing his Hal Jordan run around the same time, and WB chose to get behind that interpretation of Green Lantern instead of what WB Animation was doing on their cartoons, and John weirdly went into the closet after playing such a big role in such a popular cartoon. It was very strange. I've literally never seen anything like that before that I can think of.
    I haven't seen anything like that before either. It really says something that this happened to a minority character. Even lesser known (white) Green Lanterns has gotten better pushes than John at that time. That was very strange.

Mighty Member

At least John had a presence with the Justice League in the books thanks to the cartoon.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    At least John had a presence with the Justice League in the books thanks to the cartoon.
    You mean currently in the JL? Sure, but answers has been left out among fans, thanks to Scott Snyder. Even the John/Hawkgirl romance was avoided, despite Scott Snyder saying that was the greatest moments in the cartoons. So yes, I'm glad he has a presence in the Justice League, like decades later after the cartoon, but it could've been better in Snyder's run. I like Venditti's handling on John Stewart in JL, but he's leaving the series, due to accepting a new project.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    You mean currently in the JL? Sure, but answers has been left out among fans, thanks to Scott Snyder. Even the John/Hawkgirl romance was avoided, despite Scott Snyder saying that was the greatest moments in the cartoons. So yes, I'm glad he has a presence in the Justice League, like decades later after the cartoon, but it could've been better in Snyder's run. I like Venditti's handling on John Stewart in JL, but he's leaving the series, due to accepting a new project.
    I mean he had a presence in the Justice League books when the show was on the air as well. But I’m not a fan of forcing cartoon stuff into the comics. John and Shayera’s relationship was cute.....in the cartoon. But it wouldn’t really translate well in the comics. John not receiving a huge push while the show was on the air was a result of bad timing in my eyes, considering everything that was going on in the comics at the time.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I think it's the longer, feather-like parts on the side that make it work-- Looks regal, or even like hair.

Love how John was fleshed out so that he was both an heroic icon and a relate-able man of the people.

I wish we got to see more of his adventures before joining the Justice League-- see him team up with Kat and Abin and all of them. Watchtower Database calculated that he was inducted into the Corps around when Bruce became Batman in the DCAU, so there's all these adventures he's had that we've just never seen.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.

BANNED

Any songs you all associate with John?

I like this one: