Page 46 of 145 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Robert Venditti is doing the annual. I wonder is he going to come back!? I sure hope so

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    RIP to Denny O'Neil, John's co-creator.
    Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    John was great in the JL cartoon!

And welcome to the John Stewart thread!
    Thank You

BANNED

RIP Denny O'Neil.

Here's Neal Adams on Denny's role in John's creation:

Denny O'Neil:

Quote Originally Posted by gamesradar View Post

Written By Jeff Loveness

Art By Robson Rocha

Cover By Cully Hamner

Variant Cover By Nick Derington

ON SALE 09/01/20

$3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC

“The Garden of Mercy” part two of two! For the first time, the Justice League explores the planet of the Black Mercy’s origin. One flower is enough to incapacitate even the strongest hero, but with an entire planet full of them, the Justice League must steel their minds or else succumb to the withering effects of the great tree at the core. With Batman unable to cope, can Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, and Green Lantern survive the horrors of their souls?
    Quote Originally Posted by gamesradar View Post

Written By Robert Venditti

Art By Aaron Lopresti And Matt Ryan

Cover By Mike Perkins

ON SALE 09/29/20

$4.99 US | 48 PAGES | FC | DC

It’s a locked-room murder mystery in the Hall of Justice! Superman, an investigative journalist; Batman, the World’s Greatest Detective; the Flash; a CSI technician; Wonder Woman; a mystical detective for the Justice League Dark; and Green Lantern, an intergalactic police officer, must put their heroic minds together to solve the case. The Hall houses some of the greatest artifacts in the DC Universe—but also its deadliest. Who is the victim? Who is the culprit? And what is the motive? Can the Justice League put together the clues to solve the mystery before the murderer strikes again—and at them? Their lives depend on it!
    This is turning out to be my favorite set of comic book Justice League stories yet.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-12-2020 at 03:46 PM.

For September we might want to also put in Multiverse end, apparently during an interview on the world balloon podcast Snyder dropped that John will be with Guy Gardner in that book.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

This is how I like John portrayed, in charge and leading. I want to see him lead like Captain America or Cyclops would and have the same respect.

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

We've seen John, Diana, Bruce, and Clark all lead during this run, depending on the situation, with each generally knowing when to defer. Based on the lightning bolt dagger on the cover above, it looks like Barry will probably play a big role in this investigation Venditti has planned.

I'd like to see John's motivations fleshed out more so that he feels even more personable, deep, and relatable. Clark feels like an outsider, Bruce has dead parents, Diana is on a humanitarian mission, and Barry's got a father who was framed for his mother's murder. I'd like to get to know John on that level. He was chosen, and he's done a great job of living up to the responsibility, but are there more layers there? I would think so given his social activist mom.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-13-2020 at 05:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    For September we might want to also put in Multiverse end, apparently during an interview on the world balloon podcast Snyder dropped that John will be with Guy Gardner in that book.
    So John is going to appear in the book. Great find. Thanks for telling us!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    This is how I like John portrayed, in charge and leading. I want to see him lead like Captain America or Cyclops would and have the same respect.
    John needs to get pushed or keep getting pushed to the forefront, and that definitely means being involved in the big decisions on the team's direction. I see the Big 5 as sort of a less controversial version of Marvel's Illuminati.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-14-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Heheh. Wasn't there a never released Black Lightning comic sometime recently where Black Lightning got shot by the police? And didn't he fight the police in his latest miniseries? I can't remember if he outright fought them or just had a big problem with them. I can't remember because I didn't buy it and only skimmed it pretty quick.

Either way, it was pretty predictable and standard fare for a DC or Marvel black hero.

"He's not MY Captain America," and all of that kind of stuff you almost always see in their books.
    Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I think for certain street heroes that does takes place,but for for all i think.
    For most non street heroes it's even more so.

For Certain black heroes race will be talked about or mention one way or the other but its not the focus or main focus consistently.
    Of course if it's not talk about or at least mention once in awhile then you have progressives or leftist saying why race is always avoided.
    So it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

For dc race issues black lightning stories tend to focus on that the most it seems.
    For marvel it's luke cage and once in while falcon in the past i think and only mention again for falcon when he was captain america and i think only a brief time,but when became the falcon again not mention at all.

When they have live action shows for brown race types like kamala khan and maybe Jessica cruz i think race and culture maybe touch upon for those two as well.
    For kamala khan it maybe race,religion and culture.
    If not there will be leftist and some in those groups who will say why not.

Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4 paints a disturbingly banal portrait of the NYPD -- and Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PS5 needs to address that.
    Some of us was just talking about this recently.
    Interesting timing.

I knew when the new spiderman miles game came out certain folks would come out.
    Like i said damn if you do and damn if you don't.
    If a john stewart game comes out you know there will be folks would saying dc needs to do more of this too and why john is in space and with the justice league all the time and not addressing poc problems more often.

PS5: Spider-Man - Miles Morales Needs to Address the First Game's Cop Problem
    Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4 paints a disturbingly banal portrait of the NYPD -- and Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PS5 needs to address that.

As confusion abounds regarding the length, size and scope of Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PlayStation 5, one thing is certain: The game needs to address the blatant copaganda of its predecessor.

Superheroes -- especially in the Marvel Universe -- frequently work with police, which is in and of itself problematic. Police brutality, particularly against people of color, is rarely explored in mainstream comics; when it is, it's notable both for its infrequency and for the stark reminder that even in a world with superheroes, racism, classism, sexism and state-sanctioned violence are real and deeply damaging. When heroes turn bad guys over to police for "justice," it reinforces systemic oppression and the Prison-Industrial Complex, while also painting police as heroes in their own right.

Marvel's Spider-Man for PlayStation 4 is perhaps the most damning example of this troubling theme.

Peter Parker doesn't kill. He beats up street-level criminals and supervillains alike, then works with police to see them punished through the criminal justice system, which often includes imprisonment. In the video game, he works closely with the NYPD throughout -- even developing a running joke about "Spider-Cop" with Captain Yuri Watanabe.

Yuri is a second-generation police officer whose father was imprisoned for taking bribes from the Magia crime family. She became a cop for the sole purpose of taking the Magia down. By the end of "The City That Never Sleeps" DLC, Yuri "goes rogue," telling Peter the justice system is frequently useless and that sometimes, killing is the only way.

Setting aside Yuri's slow descent into becoming a ruthless killer -- which boasts its own set of problems, seeing as she's a woman of color -- Peter's firm alliance with the NYPD is disturbing in its banality. As noted by several critics following Spider-Man's release in 2018, Peter handing over criminals and villains to the cops is bad, but what's worse is that one of the main missions in the game is to fix broken surveillance towers that monitor activity throughout Manhattan.

Spider-Cop may be an in-game joke, but the reality is that by fixing these towers, Peter isn't just providing the player with the ability to scan for nearby tasks -- he's helping enact the same kind of surveillance that literally exists in the real New York City. His work with the NYPD makes him complicit in monitoring the activities of citizens, not to mention state-sanctioned profiling and associated violence.

At no point does anyone question the actions of the NYPD, nor Spider-Man's close relationship with the cops. The game all but refuses to acknowledge the real-world implications of its main narrative and mechanics, which doesn't sit well, especially as Black Lives Matter protests continue all over the world.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PS5 provides Insomniac Games with an opportunity to address the blatant copaganda of its predecessor. Miles reveals he has spider powers at the end of the first game, after he spends significant time volunteering at F.E.A.S.T. and working with Peter. Their relationship begins after Miles' father, Officer Jefferson Davis, is killed while protecting citizens from bombers during a demon attack.

Miles Morales is Afro-Latinx, which immediately places him in danger at the hands of police, regardless of his father's position with the NYPD. Although he'll don his own Spider-Man suit in the new game, the fact is that he is at more risk of violence than Peter Parker because of his skin color, which is something that goes mostly unspoken in the comics.

The new game, which will ostensibly be open-world like its predecessor, can and should provide Miles the space to explore this issue and force players to confront it as well. That's not to say it should feature police brutality against Miles, or even other characters of color -- it absolutely shouldn't, though dialogue would not be amiss. What it should do is dismantle the oppressive systems used in the first game and give Miles the space to be a hero without the involvement of the police.

The fact that Spider-Man for PS4 only gives names and significant roles to two cops who are people of color -- Yuri and Jefferson -- further exemplifies how the game attempts to de-problematize Peter's relationship with the NYPD. By purposefully centering a police captain who is not white and killing a Black officer in the line of duty, the game seems to actively suggest that Not All Cops are racist, because some cops aren't white -- but this doesn't eliminate the fact of or justify police brutality.

Whether Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a stand-alone game, a sequel, an expansion or a full narrative, it needs to remove the absurdly heavy police presence and present a world wherein heroes don't contribute to systemic violence or state-sanctioned slavery. It needs to do better than its predecessor, not just because it has an Afro-Latinx protagonist, but because the first Spider-Man game never should have been approved, let alone released, with so much copaganda intertwined with even its most basic gameplay.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-miles...e-cop-problem/

Now there two or three type of folks when comes to comics and touch certain issues.
    1-Those who want more (real strongly want)real world issues in superheroes mainstream comics like racism,police brutality,classism,sexism,global warming etc...

2-Those who want touch upon these types of issues but not heavy but once in awhile.

3- Those who don't want any of these issues in comics and just straight up superheroes action.

I think folks who a more into 2 and 3 would not be x-men fans or x-men fans that much when i think about it or not be hanging around that marvel forum or hanging around that in that forum that much.

Note-keep in mind the dc and marvel universes are alternate universes and not our universe and not real world.
    Last edited by mace11; 06-14-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

By the way i just recently watch spiderman into spiderverse animated movie.
    Excellent movie.
    For dc John stewart and icon milestone dc need their own animated movies as well.

Blackway & Black Caviar - "What's Up Danger" (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse) [Official Audio]
    Last edited by mace11; 06-14-2020 at 08:39 AM.

BANNED

This was also a fun relationship since it gave us another side to John:

Even if they're impermanent, it's great how John's romances show us his character.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-14-2020 at 08:37 AM.

BANNED

Also just great to see people with Subsharan features being pined after.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-14-2020 at 08:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Some of us was just talking about this recently.
    Interesting timing.

I knew when the new spiderman miles game came out certain folks would come out.
    Like i said damn if you do and damn if you don't.
    If a john stewart game comes out you know there will be folks would saying dc needs to do more of this too and why john is in space and with the justice league all the time and not addressing poc problems more often.

PS5: Spider-Man - Miles Morales Needs to Address the First Game's Cop Problem

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-miles...e-cop-problem/

Now there two or three type of folks when comes to comics and torch certain issues.
    1-Those who want more (real strongly want)real world issues in superheroes mainstream comics like racism,police brutality,classism,sexism,global warming etc...

2-Those who want touch upon these types of issues but not heavy but once in awhile.

3- Those who don't want any of these issues in comics and just straight up superheroes action

I think folks who a more into 2 and 3 would not be x-men fans or x-men fans that much when i think about it or not be hanging around that marvel forum or hanging around in that much.

Note-keep in mind the dc and marvel universes are alternate universes and not our universe and not real world.
    I fall into camp 2, with standard superhero fare not concerning race or political issues being the norm since I like escapism and adventure and want to keep POC characters from being pigeonholed. But sometimes there's a really powerful story that comes along, like this EC comics space comic:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post
    "Judgment Day"
    Gaines waged a number of battles with the Comics Code Authority in an attempt to keep his magazines free from censorship. In one particular example noted by comics historian Digby Diehl, Gaines threatened Judge Charles Murphy, the Comics Code Administrator, with a lawsuit when Murphy ordered EC to alter the science-fiction story "Judgment Day", in Incredible Science Fiction #33 (Feb. 1956).[17] The story, by writer Al Feldstein and artist Joe Orlando, was a reprint from the pre-Code Weird Fantasy #18 (April 1953), inserted when the Code Authority had rejected an initial, original story, "An Eye For an Eye", drawn by Angelo Torres,[18] but was itself also "objected to" because of "the central character being black".[19]

The story depicted a human astronaut, a representative of the Galactic Republic, visiting the planet Cybrinia, inhabited by robots. He finds the robots divided into functionally identical orange and blue races, one of which has fewer rights and privileges than the other. The astronaut determines that due to the robots' bigotry, the Galactic Republic should not admit the planet until these problems are resolved. In the final panel, he removes his helmet, revealing himself to be a black man.[17] Murphy demanded, without any authority in the Code, that the black astronaut had to be removed.

As Diehl recounted in Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives View Post
    This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. '**** you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form.[20]
    Feldstein, interviewed for the book Tales of Terror: The EC Companion, reiterated his recollection of Murphy making the request:
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldstein View Post
    So he said it can't be a Black [person]. So I said, 'For God's sakes, Judge Murphy, that's the whole point of the Goddamn story!' So he said, 'No, it can't be a Black'. Bill [Gaines] just called him up [later] and raised the roof, and finally they said, 'Well, you gotta take the perspiration off'. I had the stars glistening in the perspiration on his Black skin. Bill said, '**** you', and he hung up.[21]
    Although that reprinted story did run uncensored, Incredible Science Fiction #33 was the last EC comic book to be published.[20] Gaines switched his focus to EC's Picto-Fiction titles, a line of typeset black-and-white magazines with heavily illustrated stories. Fiction was formatted to alternate illustrations with blocks of typeset text, and some of the contents were rewrites of stories previously published in EC's comic books. This experimental line lost money from the start and only lasted two issues per title. When EC's national distributor went bankrupt, Gaines dropped all of his titles except Mad.[22]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC_Comics

You can read the comic here:

https://museumofuncutfunk.com/2012/0...ce-circa-1953/