Page 50 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

Another view:

Frak that's powerfull
    Love the deco-architecture design element to his weapon constructs and energy trail
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

So I'm looking at the current JL run and couldn't remember that John wasn't featured or was the sole focus of the covers, so I went back and double checked and sure enough, there was only one cover where he was the sole focus and that was #3, which featured John as the Ultraviolet Lantern. Sooooo disappointing DC. Show John more love!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Yeah that's DC for you, supporting every PoC character except the black ones.

edit: spelling error
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 07-03-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post

You know, when DC elevated Cyborg to one of the main JL members I thought they were finally going to make John a prominent character again. Yes, it’s nice that he’s on the current JL team but you know they’ll swap him out with Hal before too long. They just can’t resist.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

You know, when DC elevated Cyborg to one of the main JL members I thought they were finally going to make John a prominent character again. Yes, it’s nice that he’s on the current JL team but you know they’ll swap him out with Hal before too long. They just can’t resist.
    Exactly. It's a shame.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Yeah because they treat their Asian and Latino characters so much better right? I mean Jaime, Cass, Katana, Ryan, Vibe, Fire, Sideways...etc are being used to their fullest potential right? At least John is currently active and a part of DC’s A-List team. The ones I mentioned are all in limbo or are afterthoughts. Only Jessica seems to be being treated right (though can’t complain as I love the character)
    Last edited by Samm; 07-03-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Exactly. The sad thing is, is that DC Comics are posting these BLM comments like as if they really care. It just shows how they don't mind robbing fans of their money and misleading them.

So I'm looking at the current JL run and couldn't remember that John wasn't featured or was the sole focus of the covers, so I went back and double checked and sure enough, there was only one cover where he was the sole focus and that was #3, which featured John as the Ultraviolet Lantern. Sooooo disappointing DC. Show John more love!
    John was the main focus in the first story arc in Snyder's Justice League. It was good, but the problem I had in that series was that the plots that were unanswered for John. I didn't like that at all. And another thing I didn't like was how he paired Hawkgirl with the Martian Manhunter and not John Stewart, despite saying in an interview that John's relationship with Hawkgirl was one of his favorite moments in JL history.

I read John and Hawkgirl in the Green Lantern special. It was a nice tease. I could've seen something like that happening in Scott Snyder's Justice League.

Here's an interview with Charlotte (Fullerton) McDuffie on doing the Green Lantern/Hawkgirl story: comicsbeat for anyone that's interested

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    John was the main focus in the first story arc in Snyder's Justice League. It was good, but the problem I had in that series was that the plots that were unanswered for John. I didn't like that at all. And another thing I didn't like was how he paired Hawkgirl with the Martian Manhunter and not John Stewart, despite saying in an interview that John's relationship with Hawkgirl was one of his favorite moments in JL history.

I read John and Hawkgirl in the Green Lantern special. It was a nice tease. I could've seen something like that happening in Scott Snyder's Justice League.

Here's an interview with Charlotte (Fullerton) McDuffie on doing the Green Lantern/Hawkgirl story: comicsbeat for anyone that's interested
    To be fair, a lot of Snyder's run was much akin to an excited young man telling a story in the "and then" method; he doesn't really conclude so much as moving into the next big thing. Perhaps I'm jaded because of how poorly the run ended, but it always had unsatisfying endings, or they dovetailed too much into the next story to really feel like a solid conclusion.

As for John and Kendra, well, Snyder was building the book to have J'onn be the core of the whole thing and constructed relationships with him for both Kendra and Lex, so yeah, there was just a lot of shilling going on there. Outside that arc, the only real memorable moment I can recall with John in Snyder's run was teaming up with Alan, which I genuinely enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yeah because they treat their Asian and Latino characters so much better right? I mean Jaime, Cass, Katana, Ryan, Vibe, Fire, Sideways...etc are being used to their fullest potential right? At least John is currently active and a part of DC’s A-List team. The ones I mentioned are all in limbo or are afterthoughts. Only Jessica seems to be being treated right (though can’t complain as I love the character)
    I get what you’re saying and hopefully DC will start focusing on their minorities more, but John has been a major character who they haven’t used to their fullest for 40+ years.

He was the first to take over for Hal, was the first Guardian outside of the originals, had his own book for too short 18 issues and been a member of the JL. They should be using him a lot more and it is way past time he gets the full treatment of his own solo book with a top notch creative team.

There should also be a movie in the works. Look how strong the black community supported the Black Panther movie. It was a blockbuster and rightly so. Fantastic movie. If DC put as much effort into making John a star as Marvel does the Black Panther, they would be raking in the money and making a LOT of cash. Look at how much fans loved him in the JL cartoon. DC is the opposite of Marvel. They don’t embrace their minorities and it’s no wonder they’re struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

I can’t wait to read this. I still haven’t got my copy yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Sir that is a WHOLE another chapter.

And I agree with what you said.

I think why most focus on black characters is because so many have had success outside of comics. That does not translate to comic book usage or success.

Like we have constantly seen with John-a belittlement of his success outside of comics. As if that JL show did not matter. yet I am still seeing stuff from that show being made. Even CUSTOM stuff.

I have seen custom JL John Stewart jackets wore at my school. I gotta find that picture I took of it.

Yet with others that success outside of comics has benefited them. Like Booster Gold, Harley and others.

Yet black characters have not benefited.

It's like no one at DC got the memo about black spending power that is in the trillions.

Look at Black Panther-ignore quality of film-you have folks dressing up like they were going to the Oscars or looking for African attire to wear for a movie. His books even the bad ones DOMINATED Amazon trade sales for a good 2 years that beat EVERY DC book including Batman. Yes the HORRIBLE BP WOW outsold Batman on Amazon for a time.

We're not even asking for much.

A 12 issue mini like Hal got would be fine. Do one for every lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Sir that is a WHOLE another chapter.

And I agree with what you said.

I think why most focus on black characters is because so many have had success outside of comics. That does not translate to comic book usage or success.

Like we have constantly seen with John-a belittlement of his success outside of comics. As if that JL show did not matter. yet I am still seeing stuff from that show being made. Even CUSTOM stuff.

I have seen custom JL John Stewart jackets wore at my school. I gotta find that picture I took of it.

Yet with others that success outside of comics has benefited them. Like Booster Gold, Harley and others.

Yet black characters have not benefited.

It's like no one at DC got the memo about black spending power that is in the trillions.

Look at Black Panther-ignore quality of film-you have folks dressing up like they were going to the Oscars or looking for African attire to wear for a movie. His books even the bad ones DOMINATED Amazon trade sales for a good 2 years that beat EVERY DC book including Batman. Yes the HORRIBLE BP WOW outsold Batman on Amazon for a time.

We're not even asking for much.

A 12 issue mini like Hal got would be fine. Do one for every lantern.
    That's what I'm talking about. If DC embraced John and his popularity to it's fullest extent, they would have a character on par with the Black Panther. Give him his own movie, his own solo book (but with a top notch creative team) and give it a big push. We need a writer who understands the character but also can give us an epic story, with an amazing artist. Maybe an Al Ewing/Ivan Reis team up?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Another view:

This looks great. For a long time I've been wondering why GL statues are always missing... something and it just clicked with me: they need LEDs. The constructs should totally glow brightly in the dark! I'm sure that would jack the price up a fair chunk (maybe it should be the deluxe/exclusive model?), but I've seen some of their statues break four digits so I doubt money's an object.

Still, it's great seeing John get a high quality statue like this!