Page 66 of 145 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I’d like to have a trade or hardcover of GREEN LANTERN MOSAIC. I really enjoyed that series and would like it collected. Good writing. Good art. And John Stewart.

Alas, that's probably never gonna happen after the Gerard Jones incident. That'd be a PR nightmare for the company they'd wanna avoid.

It's kinda depressing that almost 30 years on and Mosaic is still the most interesting story arc DC's done featuring John in the comics. I really feel DC dropped the ball when they didn't give John the solo, at the beginning of Snyder's run, that used the living power battery angle. I get condensing the GL titles to one book, but why would you focus on the Green Lantern that's not in your flagship title; that doesn't make for a cohesive experience.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-30-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It's kinda depressing that almost 30 years on and Mosaic is still the most interesting story arc DC's done featuring John in the comics. I really feel DC dropped the ball when they didn't give John the solo, at the beginning of Snyder's run, that used the living power battery angle. I get condensing the GL titles to one book, but why would you focus on the Green Lantern that's not in your flagship title; that doesn't make for a cohesive experience.
    Well, for what it's worth, Hal only got that solo because Morrison wanted to write him. If his pitch was about Simon Baz or like Charlie Vickers, they'd be starring. Morrison is one of the few writers in the industry that can just ask for a book and it happens. Morrison is a bigger draw than pretty much all the actual Lanterns. It makes sense from a purely financial standpoint. I like John and Hal pretty evenly so I'm satisfied either way, but I can't begrudge DC for getting one of the superstars in the industry on a book that hasn't been burning up the sales charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, Hal only got that solo because Morrison wanted to write him. If his pitch was about Simon Baz or like Charlie Vickers, they'd be starring. Morrison is one of the few writers in the industry that can just ask for a book and it happens. Morrison is a bigger draw than pretty much all the actual Lanterns. It makes sense from a purely financial standpoint. I like John and Hal pretty evenly so I'm satisfied either way, but I can't begrudge DC for getting one of the superstars in the industry on a book that hasn't been burning up the sales charts.
    Dan Didio requested Grant Morrison to do a Green Lantern book that's specifically about Hal Jordan. Morrison declined, but changed his mind later on. I'm pretty sure Dan Didio would decline if Grant Morrison wanted to do a John Stewart book solo if Hal and other Green Lanterns do not have a book. Hal Jordan is looked upon as the de-facto green lantern to their eyes and no other lanterns can have a starring book without Hal getting it first after HJ&TGLC has ended. I'm sure that's pretty much Dan Didio's perspective, which is why he wanted the book specifically about Hal Jordan and no one else.

Arrow

It's kinda depressing that almost 30 years on and Mosaic is still the most interesting story arc DC's done featuring John in the comics.....
    Indeed it is , and also maddening.

Why those in charge of DC insist on letting such an interesting and potentially profitable character go to wast is beyond me. Then again, DC has allowed most of its characters to go to wast for at least two decades now. If you're not a member of the vaunted Bat Family or one of the Trinity you seemingly don't matter, heck even Wonder Woman is an afterthought in the actual comics these days.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I get how they came to the conclusion, that doesn't really make it a better choice tho. Morrison is a draw but wasn't his run ending prematurely anyway? so whatever bump in sales they were stood to gain from Morrison wasn't super substantial beyond that initial bump. I'm not trying to be on the anti-Hal Jordan wave, if I'm being honest Hal is just fine (i don't hate or love him), but i don't think we needed another story with him if he's not the Lantern in the flagship title because typically that's not how these things work best imo.

the Justice League is supposed to be like an "oh look at these characters from their respective titles working together" type title, and it just feels like a weird move for John to be one of the only characters in the title with no book. keep it a bean, JL was stealth really about Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, so he kinda was the only one. I get the idea of "Morrison wants to write a GL story with Hal, he's a draw = profit, all'lat" but if it's gonna feel so remote from everything else in the universe, just make it a separate thing and have John be in another title. or just have Morrison find a way to play ball. you would think the destruction of Leader of the Green Lanterns' power ring, a new Lantern Corp, and a human being miraculously transforming into one of the most powerful weapons in the universe would warrant some follow up in the Green Lantern portion of DC's fictional universe instead of a couple cute meta quips about Snyder's tropes. Although, that may not be for me to say since i didn't read his Lantern run because Morrison isn't my jam, so maybe he does.

my point being, i think DC should be and should've been investing in John more than they have since Mosaic because that persists as his most compelling story arc, which is problematic given the crimes of it's writer.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-31-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Maybe a complete collection of the Van Jensen run? Label it Green Lantern Corps: John Stewart since it was basically his book.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Alas, that's probably never gonna happen after the Gerard Jones incident. That'd be a PR nightmare for the company they'd wanna avoid.
    I’d forgotten about that turn of events.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe a complete collection of the Van Jensen run? Label it Green Lantern Corps: John Stewart since it was basically his book.
    Seeing how they chased him off-I doubt it that would happen.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm convinced the time is right for a book, maybe even YA, involving Hal and John going on buddy cop adventures in space; something akin to Lethal Weapon, Tango & Cash, Starsky & Hutch, that sort of thing. They're both protagonists and put the rivalry to bed for a book. Doesn't have to be GL's All-Star Superman or DKR, but a goddamn good time highlighting their two highest profile GLs.

Sometimes, popcorn is enough. I've heard rumors that was Geoff's pitch for the movie and maybe the HBO Max series, but who knows?

In any case, YA seems like a great place for the characters who don't often get minis to shine. Cassandra Cain, Aqualad, Nubia, Black Canary, Mera, etc. John is absolutely perfect for that medium to get a book all his own. Sure, it's not the direct market stuff we usually consume, but I think it's still great to get him in front of some new readers. And hey! Some of those books are great even for adults.

Mighty Member

I get how they came to the conclusion, that doesn't really make it a better choice tho. Morrison is a draw but wasn't his run ending prematurely anyway? so whatever bump in sales they were stood to gain from Morrison wasn't super substantial beyond that initial bump. I'm not trying to be on the anti-Hal Jordan wave, if I'm being honest Hal is just fine (i don't hate or love him), but i don't think we needed another story with him if he's not the Lantern in the flagship title because typically that's not how these things work best imo.

the Justice League is supposed to be like an "oh look at these characters from their respective titles working together" type title, and it just feels like a weird move for John to be one of the only characters in the title with no book. keep it a bean, JL was stealth really about Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, so he kinda was the only one. I get the idea of "Morrison wants to write a GL story with Hal, he's a draw = profit, all'lat" but if it's gonna feel so remote from everything else in the universe, just make it a separate thing and have John be in another title. or just have Morrison find a way to play ball. you would think the destruction of Leader of the Green Lanterns' power ring, a new Lantern Corp, and a human being miraculously transforming into one of the most powerful weapons in the universe would warrant some follow up in the Green Lantern portion of DC's fictional universe instead of a couple cute meta quips about Snyder's tropes. Although, that may not be for me to say since i didn't read his Lantern run because Morrison isn't my jam, so maybe he does.

my point being, i think DC should be and should've been investing in John more than they have since Mosaic because that persists as his most compelling story arc, which is problematic given the crimes of it's writer.
    Being the first super hero I was drawn to as a child, Hal is one of my favourite super heroes of all time, that being said, I've always had a huge affection for John and Guy as well.

This might erk, Stewart fans, but it has always bothered me that Hal is left out of the Justice League, because he has his own title, which was one of the top selling titles for many years, and yet I never get to see Hal interact with Barry, Ollie or Bruce on a regular basis in the JLA

The way a hero often becomes popular is you see them in the JLA, think they are cool so pick up their solo title.

So what's the point of having your own title if your never going to be on the team, you might as well give John Stewart a shot, because I'm sick of Hal solo stories in isolation.

What baffles me most though, is that the secondary Green Lantern titles lately have been about Green Lantern's that have less stature than John, Guy or Kyle?

Instead why don't you give John Stewart his own title, see how it sells, and if it sells well, make him Green Lantern Uno numero.

I'm convinced the time is right for a book, maybe even YA, involving Hal and John going on buddy cop adventures in space; something akin to Lethal Weapon, Tango & Cash, Starsky & Hutch, that sort of thing. They're both protagonists and put the rivalry to bed for a book. Doesn't have to be GL's All-Star Superman or DKR, but a goddamn good time highlighting their two highest profile GLs.

Sometimes, popcorn is enough. I've heard rumors that was Geoff's pitch for the movie and maybe the HBO Max series, but who knows?

In any case, YA seems like a great place for the characters who don't often get minis to shine. Cassandra Cain, Aqualad, Nubia, Black Canary, Mera, etc. John is absolutely perfect for that medium to get a book all his own. Sure, it's not the direct market stuff we usually consume, but I think it's still great to get him in front of some new readers. And hey! Some of those books are great even for adults.
    They already did a YA Green Lantern book (or was it more for kids?) with an original GL, but I'd be interested to see what they would do with an established GL.

I feel like John, Jessica, and even Simon would probably be likely to get ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Being the first super hero I was drawn to as a child, Hal is one of my favourite super heroes of all time, that being said, I've always had a huge affection for John and Guy as well.

This might erk, Stewart fans, but it has always bothered me that Hal is left out of the Justice League, because he has his own title, which was one of the top selling titles for many years, and yet I never get to see Hal interact with Barry, Ollie or Bruce on a regular basis in the JLA

The way a hero often becomes popular is you see them in the JLA, think they are cool so pick up their solo title.

So what's the point of having your own title if your never going to be on the team, you might as well give John Stewart a shot, because I'm sick of Hal solo stories in isolation.

What baffles me most though, is that the secondary Green Lantern titles lately have been about Green Lantern's that have less stature than John, Guy or Kyle?

Instead why don't you give John Stewart his own title, see how it sells, and if it sells well, make him Green Lantern Uno numero.
    Hal not being on the Justice League has a lot to do with the fact that DC/WB/fans want a more inclusive JL, and since the GL franchise is the most diverse (two Black lanterns, three Latino lanterns, an Arab lantern) that’s usually the character that fills the diversity quota (not a knock against John or Jessica as I feel they’re both great characters!).

As far as the JL goes, The Trinity and Flash will always be there, Aquaman is currently enjoying the privilege that Hal GL enjoyed in the mid to late 2000’s as number 5. Right now, of the founders Hal and J’onn are the expendable ones, though before the GL movie Arthur and J’onn were the expendable ones. I like the JLU inspired lineup we had recently in the comics, that one was just perfect, maybe throw out Cyborg for Black Lightning or Vixen.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern (John), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl (Kendra) and Vixen (or Black Lightning) is a damn good lineup!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Hal not being on the Justice League has a lot to do with the fact that DC/WB/fans want a more inclusive JL, and since the GL franchise is the most diverse (two Black lanterns, three Latino lanterns, an Arab lantern) that’s usually the character that fills the diversity quota (not a knock against John or Jessica as I feel they’re both great characters!).

As far as the JL goes, The Trinity and Flash will always be there, Aquaman is currently enjoying the privilege that Hal GL enjoyed in the mid to late 2000’s as number 5. Right now, of the founders Hal and J’onn are the expendable ones, though before the GL movie Arthur and J’onn were the expendable ones. I like the JLU inspired lineup we had recently in the comics, that one was just perfect, maybe throw out Cyborg for Black Lightning or Vixen.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern (John), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl (Kendra) and Vixen (or Black Lightning) is a damn good lineup!
    I know, I know, I just think that DC have shot themselves in the foot sales wise by not having Hal consistently in the JLA over the years, particularly when he was selling as good as Wolverine for a long stretch under Geoff Johns.

While Aquaman always struggles to keep a series a float, maybe it's time to give Jackson Hyde a shot?

Personally though, I like Brad Meltzer's run that had Black Lightning and Vixen in it. I personally think Black Lightning should be a permanent staple of the JLA, it's better to push original heroes than copies of others because there is always going to be this controversy, and someone is going to always be in the shadow of someone else.

Jackson Hyde, Black Lightning, Vixen and maybe even Cyborg or Wallace West? That's adds diversity to the JLA, abliet though only one racial/ethinic group.

I don't want to be advocating the removal of a black GL from the JLA for a white one, how awkward is that, but it saddens me that Hal is always left out.