Page 68 of 145 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2163

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Ah thank you internet friends, now I can see and understand why this is great news for John Stewart. Even though they only stated that John is their favorite Green Lantern(or something to that effect from my observation), but nonetheless better than nothing.
    It gives us fans bigger hopes that there's a bright future for John Stewart at DC Comics. Hal got the major push he did was because the higher ups had favoritism towards the character (Ethan Van Sciver even admitted to it on the old thread when he was working at DC Comics). I have no issues with higher ups being fans, but because they are fans, John Stewart has a history of being greatly diminished even to lesser known GLs. I mean look at this:

If John had a big push, this wouldn't have happened. If John had speed force powers in a non-canon, you wouldn't see him in front of Barry Allen. They certainly wouldn't have done Hal that way. It's one of the reasons why I'm happy that there's new hires and replacements so hopefully we wouldn't be able to see nonsense like that again. It's a disrespect for the character and he shouldn't be relegated to anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It gives us fans bigger hopes that there's a bright future for John Stewart at DC Comics. Hal got the major push he did was because the higher ups had favoritism towards the character (Ethan Van Sciver even admitted to it on the old thread when he was working at DC Comics). I have no issues with higher ups being fans, but because they are fans, John Stewart has a history of being greatly diminished even to lesser known GLs. I mean look at this:

If John had a big push, this wouldn't have happened. If John had speed force powers in a non-canon, you wouldn't see him in front of Barry Allen. They certainly wouldn't have done Hal that way. It's one of the reasons why I'm happy that there's new hires and replacements so hopefully we wouldn't be able to see nonsense like that again. It's a disrespect for the character and he shouldn't be relegated to anything like that.
    I feel that John is getting a good push. He is in the current Justice League comic, he was in the Harley Quinn show, he's evolved in the Death Metal event and isn't he like a big part of HBO's Green Lantern show? He is in a better spot than any lantern not named Hal, I feel. Idk maybe I should catch up with green lantern comics to say that lmao
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I feel that John is getting a good push. He is in the current Justice League comic, he was in the Harley Quinn show, he's evolved in the Death Metal event and isn't he like a big part of HBO's Green Lantern show? He is in a better spot than any lantern not named Hal, I feel. Idk maybe I should catch up with green lantern comics to say that lmao
    The HBO show is just a rumor as of right now, isn't it? Jessica is also undergoing a pretty big push. She's in the DC Superhero girls show, she got that animated movie, and I think she's showed up in a video game or two on top of co-leading Green Lanterns and then becoming the focal character of Justice League Odyssey. She's cool, but currently she's getting an equal-if-not better push to John unless the HBO thing holds true.

Honestly, outside the current comic, what's Hal even up to right this moment?

Currently, yes he's getting a good push compared to back then. Hopefully he gets a solo title this time around

I like the artwork!

Film Director Christopher Nolan and John David Washington was interviewed and asked about whether he was down to play the John Stewart role, since Robert Patterson is now Batman. Christopher Nolan said his days at DC is over, but he thinks John David Washington would be an excellent choice to play the character at 4:34:

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They're not giving royalties to a convicted pedophile is what they're doing. It sucks Mosaic had to be written by a shitbag, but it's too much of a minefield now.
    I'm a bit surprised there isn't some kind of legal loophole that would allow them to publish his work while not paying him for that post-conviction.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Come to think about it, if Christopher Nolan decided to make a Green Lantern movie, I'm more than sure he would have John Boyega for the role and make him front and center

What’s happened in Death Metal for John?

I feel that John is getting a good push. He is in the current Justice League comic, he was in the Harley Quinn show, he's evolved in the Death Metal event and isn't he like a big part of HBO's Green Lantern show?
    We don't know for sure. All we know is they said they're gonna focus on two Lanterns at two different points in history.

BTW, I could get behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    What’s happened in Death Metal for John?
    We don't know yet. The only thing we know so far is that John is going to be leading the Green Lanterns in the upcoming issue. And he's going to be the focus, according to Scott Snyder.

Ultimate Member

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...dley-interview

John Ridley talks John Stewart and why he wasn't the focus for Other Side of DC.

olygon: Black Lightning is a fascinating character, and in a lot of places right now. He’s coming up in The Other History, he’s got his own TV show, and he’s in the current Batman and the Outsiders series, just like he was in the original one. But what I find interesting about Black Lightning is that he kind of skipped a generation of readers. If you ask a millennial to name the most famous Black DC superhero, they’re probably going to say John Stewart/Green Lantern, and if you ask them about a Black superhero who has lightning powers, they’re probably going to say Static. What made him the first focal point that you wanted to go to in The Other History?

John Ridley: It’s interesting, you talk about skipping a generation. And I think sometimes that’s the truth, other than obviously, the Trinity — Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. In general, there are heroes who rise and fall depending on their sales, and depending on what’s going on with the readership. Particularly with characters of color, in fits and starts, there’ve been efforts to both try to elevate some of these heroes, integrate some of these heroes. But in terms of characters that have a lot of cultural density, unfortunately a lot of the characters of color never quite got there.

So, for me when it came time to do The Other History; yeah, John Stewart predated Jefferson Pierce, but there were things about Jefferson Pierce that were powerful to me when I first read the comics. There were things about him as a father; as a guy who was, in some ways, maybe a little bit more conservative as a Black man, in terms of some of his values — that made him really interesting. So he felt like the absolute right character with which to begin this story.

And also, and I don’t want to jump ahead with some of your questions, but you alluded to treating these characters as though they occupy a real historical space. And so if I was going to try to take The Other History and really treat it as though it were a real document, [as if] it really were these oral histories from these characters, that was the place to start. Yes, I could have gone back a few more years with John Stewart, but for me, emotionally as a storyteller, in terms of the way these stories were going to play out, Jefferson Pierce was the absolute right character with which to begin the series.

For me it was about trying to take all of these narratives and then weave them together, but allow that weaving to travel through events that comic book readers should know and remember. And in cases where they don’t, I hope they want to go back to those stories and Oh, I forgot about a moment when John Stewart destroyed a planet. What was that like for him?
    Can someone tell him JOhn has been DEFINED by that or 30 years.
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 09-04-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...dley-interview

John Ridley talks John Stewart and why he wasn't the focus for Other Side of DC.

Can someone tell him JOhn has been DEFINED by that or 30 years.
    I can kind of relate to what John Ridley is saying. For me, original characters are far more interesting, which is why I would like to see Jefferson Pierce as a permanent member of the Justice League and promoted as DC's top African American hero.

That of course doesn't mean that John Stewart can't be in the JLA at the same time, you can two, three, or potentially more African American heroes on the league at once.

The problem with Green Lantern is that there are 6 prominent Green Lanterns now, which means John can be replaced at anytime. If his comic series flops, they might go back to Hal, or they might go with Jessica or Kyle to try to capture the market share of a growing demographic.

If a Black Lightning series is cancelled, they can just reboot it up in 2 to 5 years time. If a John Stewart series is cancelled, fans might be waiting another 30 years, because there are so many other options.

With Black Lightning there are no knock offs, once he has his own title and is in the JLA, he's there permanently. He is non-replacable. John Stewart can be replaced on the JLA at any given time by another GL.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I can kind of relate to what John Ridley is saying. For me, original characters are far more interesting, which is why I would like to see Jefferson Pierce as a permanent member of the Justice League and promoted as DC's top African American hero.

That of course doesn't mean that John Stewart can't be in the JLA at the same time, you can two, three, or potentially more African American heroes on the league at once.

The problem with Green Lantern is that there are 6 prominent Green Lanterns now, which means John can be replaced at anytime. If his comic series flops, they might go back to Hal, or they might go with Jessica or Kyle to try to capture the market share of a growing demographic.

If a Black Lightning series is cancelled, they can just reboot it up in 2 to 5 years time. If a John Stewart series is cancelled, fans might be waiting another 30 years, because there are so many other options.

With Black Lightning there are no knock offs, once he has his own title and is in the JLA, he's there permanently. He is non-replacable. John Stewart can be replaced on the JLA at any given time by another GL.
    I left some stuff off.

Black Lightning shares some things in common with his mother-who was a teacher and we actually saw his family. Excuding John's mom-everyone else is MIA.

So that helped and he amde some interesting point about Outsiders that I didn't even think of.

For John I think the moment that should be in the book is him taking his mask off. Letting everyone know who he was.

We never saw the consequences of that unlike in Steel where it got his grandmother (or mom) killed and the rest of the family minus Natasha leaving his book.