Page 84 of 145 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2163
    BANNED

Who cares if Hank Pym appeared in Ant-Man as a supporting character? He's not the focus of the franchise. And people complained about Carol's Captain Marvel identity for numerous reasons, so what's your point? She's now Marvel's Wonder Woman and will be leading the Avengers onscreen. Ant-Man and Captain Marvel are now bigger franchises than the Hulk and are on par with Captain America, Daredevil, and other Marvel solo franchises below the Spider-Man tier. Green Lantern is a major franchise narratively, but it's not selling, so why not change it up if there's an editorial drive to do so? Like I wrote, if you establish a Black led franchise, getting rid of that lead will also cause backlash. Period. Just rumors of DC attempting to kill off John faced huge backlash. Also, talking about some imaginary Black IP that no one has come up with yet that will have a nonredundant character on the level of Superman is just a pipe dream. And trying to get everyone on board for a Black character is pointless since there will never be a Black character who gets respect from every single White person, no matter which character. There will always be people who say they don't belong, are tokens, are redundant, or would be beaten by some White character. Move on.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-02-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Who cares if Hank Pym appeared in Ant-Man as a supporting character? He's not the focus of the franchise. And people complained about Carol's Captain Marvel identity for numerous reasons, so what's your point? She's now Marvel's Wonder Woman and will be leading the Avengers onscreen. Ant-Man and Captain Marvel are now bigger franchises than the Hulk and are on par with Captain America, Daredevil, and other Marvel solo franchises below the Spider-Man tier. Green Lantern is a major franchise narratively, but it's not selling, so why not change it up if there's an editorial drive to do so? Like I wrote, if you establish a Black led franchise, getting rid of that lead will also cause backlash. Period. Just rumors of DC attempting to kill off John faced huge backlash. Also, talking about some imaginary Black IP that no one has come up with yet that will have a nonredundant character on the level of Superman is just a pipe dream. And trying to get everyone on board for a Black character is pointless since there will never be a Black character who gets respect from every single White person, no matter which character. There will always be people who say they don't belong, are tokens, are redundant, or would be beaten by some White character. Move on.

You can post however many pics or vids you want, that won't do you any good. And that reading list doesn't amount to jack shit in terms of GL mythos, you know that right? You say that things are looking up for John now that we have a Black GM at DC no? Then would it be a problem to promote new Black characters with their own franchises? Which one is it? You said DC has never been interested in elevating Black characters before, well now's the time right? What you just said here proves my point. Captain Marvel and Ant-Man were NOBODIES compared to their more prominent peers such as Hulk/Captain America, etc. before the MCU, now look at their fame PURLEY BECAUSE OF MOVIES. This is a new era where Z-LISTERS like the Guardians of the Galaxy (who may have well been brand new characters) can explode in popularity because of their outside media appearance(s). All it'll take is a good outing in outside media, however/wherever it may happen, and then that margin closes real quick.

The GL franchise is known for switching things up when it's not selling, and guess what's happening if John doesn't sell consistently, or rather what should happen? And the fact that a character would be shielded from being cancelled for failing based SOLELY on race is weak sauce and means the character is not on equal footing with the big dogs. It sounds to me like you're scared of venturing off too far from your safety blanket John even when the time to promote more Black characters in addition to working on him is now. Nobody said anything about Steel/Icon/Cyborg, I said NEW. I love John as much as you but I can see the writing on the wall. Ain't nobody here trynna be accepted by shit, that's a problem you're projecting onto others. Instead of begging to get food off of somebody else's plate (lets be honest that all you're doing now because you're COMPLETLY at the mercy of DC), go get your own and build it with the good shit so you can eat all you want and control who eats what. We could be getting multiple characters like Black Panther in this hopefully new era at DC, but I guess that's a foolish dream an it's more logical to stick with the same strategy that's been bending the fans over for like 15 years now.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-03-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So, sidebar, when did artists start giving John green eyes? Was it when he became a living battery?

I always thought it was an off-and-on thing since the animated show era....I think

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I always thought it was an off-and-on thing since the animated show era....I think
    I've only noticed it in the comics recently. I don't mean glowing or anything. His irises are just green sometimes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I've only noticed it in the comics recently. I don't mean glowing or anything. His irises are just green sometimes now.
    Oh, idk then. Anytime I've noticed they've been brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    it's an on and off thing with all Green Lanterns, you see it usually in the GL titles but it's pretty inconsistent. It would be nice if they were to use the living battery thing to explain it; or do anything in the way of defining the living battery concept honestly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    The GL franchise is known for switching things up when it's not selling, and guess what's happening if John doesn't sell consistently, or rather what should happen? And the fact that a character would be shielded from being cancelled for failing based SOLELY on race is weak sauce and means the character is not on equal footing with the big dogs. It sounds to me like you're scared of venturing off too far from your safety blanket John even when the time to promote more Black characters in addition to working on him is now. Nobody said anything about Steel/Icon/Cyborg, I said NEW. I love John as much as you but I can see the writing on the wall. Ain't nobody here trynna be accepted by shit, that's a problem you're projecting onto others. Instead of begging to get food off of somebody else's plate (lets be honest that all you're doing now because you're COMPLETLY at the mercy of DC), go get your own and build it with the good shit so you can eat all you want and control who eats what. We could be getting multiple characters like Black Panther in this hopefully new era at DC, but I guess that's a foolish dream an it's more logical to stick with the same strategy that's been bending the fans over for like 15 years now.
    Now to be fair when folks have TRIED this-we saw just as much PUSH BACK and TOXIC behavior to those new black original black heroes.
    See Mosaic at Marvel. See Finn in Star Wars. See Duke Thomas.

And a lot of time we see pandering and caving in to that behavior. ESPECAILLY at DC. Or we see plain QUITTING after one try.

On one hand taking John and moving him from Green Lantern does make sense. Because we have seen Dick Grayson do it. Along with Jason Todd & Babs Gordon.
    Now why is there a pushback to John doing it? Easy No one fully trusts DC to INVEST in John as a Darkstar or Guardian or whatever.

When Sam Wilson, Shuri, Jane Foster & Carol Danvers took on new names-comic or outside you saw MERCHANDISE with them as Cap America, Thor, Panther and Cap Marvel.
    The public knew about it. You can get a Sam Wilson toy as Cap America. You can turn on tv and see Dick as Nightwing and Robin. More folk know Jason Todd as Red Hood than Robin.

On the other hand taking John off Green Lantern does THIS-Jessica or Simon get that GL spot in Justice League.
    And then here is the QUESTION-who is the person or persons who invest in John as whatever?
    Carol Danvers has a long run as Ms Marvel that got some acclaim and the same as Cap Marvel with acclaim. No matter what name she was under we saw her in all media as both. Along with someone working on her no matter the sales.

John being a GL FORCES DC to use him. It's not that your or Warrior's points are not right. You are BOTH right.
    Dc has Vixen, Black Lightning, Cyborg, Mr Terrific & Bronze Tiger-what have they done? 5 franchises right there.
    DC has Steel, Jason Rusch & Duke Thomas linked to franchises. How well did it go for them?
    In both cases it didn't work out or teeth had to be pulled for an effort.

The issue is does DC even under new black folks have the GUTS for that DC owned black franchise. Let alone fully invest in a hero of color. Not just in comic but all media.

Is DC going to be Marvel or Star Wars? We saw Star Wars CRAP away money pandering to Finn haters.

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

Anyone else find it weird that the way the ring is explaining the situation makes it seem like it has a will of it's own?

Incredible Member

John and Oliver team up.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-03-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Technically DC and Marvel actually haven't thought of every power, personality, and mythology. In fact they have been pretty uncreative with some of their characters that have cool abilities. I mean TV, video games and movies has lots of pretty cool ideas. Anime definitely hasn't hit the limit with how many creative ideas each creator has even of it's the sort of thing people don't watch

I’d be cool with John Stewart as the lead Lantern with a solo and JL membership, Jessica Cruz as his Supergirl/Batgirl counterpart and her own book, and Kyle as the young hero with the Titans. I think that would satisfy John, Kyle and Jessica fans, though upset Hal fans... but hey Hal had all of the 2000’s and 2010’s, time to let the others shine. Guy and Simon don’t really have large enough fan bases to make noise. Can’t please everyone imo, sacrifices have to be made

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I’d be cool with John Stewart as the lead Lantern with a solo and JL membership, Jessica Cruz as his Supergirl/Batgirl counterpart and her own book, and Kyle as the young hero with the Titans. I think that would satisfy John, Kyle and Jessica fans, though upset Hal fans... but hey Hal had all of the 2000’s and 2010’s, time to let the others shine. Guy and Simon don’t really have large enough fan bases to make noise. Can’t please everyone imo, sacrifices have to be made
    Agreed. I think something like this can work.