Page 78 of 179 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2680
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Yeah, while I certainly enjoy character interaction in a story as well as epic battles, I've noticed more than a few times in some contemporary comics where a fight scene is no more than four panels out of the entire book, more often than not feeling forced, awkward and completely out of place, almost grudgingly tossed in because it was "required". I'm sure there are plenty of examples of four panel fights from older comics, but, for whatever reason, they always seem to stand out more in comics from the last ten years or so.
    I miss fights like this.

I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

art by Leandro Matos

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by Leandro Matos

Is this from JMS run?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I miss fights like this.

That's a pretty great fight. I dunno if anyone else noticed but lots of modern fights lack the collateral damage that the fights of such scope should have. I dunno that always bothered me, it's one of the best ways to flex an artist muscles and have them even draw 2-page spreads.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in overall collateral between high-tiers and then street tiers or mid-tiers, it's kinda lam IMO.

Is this from JMS run?
    Probably inspired by the JMS run since Loki is female. Although Thor never had a beard in that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That's a pretty great fight. I dunno if anyone else noticed but lots of modern fights lack the collateral damage that the fights of such scope should have. I dunno that always bothered me, it's one of the best ways to flex an artist muscles and have them even draw 2-page spreads.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in overall collateral between high-tiers and then street tiers or mid-tiers, it's kinda lam IMO.
    I've noticed, and it bothers me too. Where's the sense of scope?

When Man of Steel hit theaters, so many people complained about the amount of destruction, and I was just shaking my head like "do you not read the comics? This is mild compared to stuff like Action #700 or Superman #75."

When high-tier superhumans fights, what do people expect that to looks like?

Now, I'm all for heroes attempting to minimize the damage, pull the fight to uninhabited regions, etc., but high level superhumans fighting in a city for just a minute or two is likely to destroy as much as a full scale hurricane or earthquake.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've noticed, and it bothers me too. Where's the sense of scope?

When Man of Steel hit theaters, so many people complained about the amount of destruction, and I was just shaking my head like "do you not read the comics? This is mild compared to stuff like Action #700 or Superman #75."

When high-tier superhumans fights, what do people expect that to looks like?

Now, I'm all for heroes attempting to minimize the damage, pull the fight to uninhabited regions, etc., but high level superhumans fighting in a city for just a minute or two is likely to destroy as much as a full scale hurricane or earthquake.
    It's because Supes has been presented as a All Loving Hero who puts saving lives above fighting villains since the start of the post-crisis era. So him causing plenty of collateral damage without showing him rescuing citizens is seen as Zack Snyder missing the point of Superman.

BANNED

superman was a novice fighting zod a trained general

obviously he can't control the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    superman was a novice fighting zod a trained general

obviously he can't control the guy
    Doesn't make MoS less joyless and self-important though.

Ultimate Member

Doesn't make MoS less joyless and self-important though.
    Yeah, agreed.

Plus, I think Superman using his powers in life action undermines suspension of disbelief, regardless of how realistic it looks.

It's because Supes has been presented as a All Loving Hero who puts saving lives above fighting villains since the start of the post-crisis era. So him causing plenty of collateral damage without showing him rescuing citizens is seen as Zack Snyder missing the point of Superman.
    I guess? But I can count several times in post-Crisis where Metropolis or another city just completely flattened. Hell, I think post-Crisis was harsher on Metropolis than pre-Crisis was. But you're probably right; post-Crisis really helped cement a certain idea about who Superman is, even though the character itself has rarely warranted the reputation.

I don't get why post-Crisis fans hate that movie so much. There was a whole lot of post-Crisis influence in the mix.

Sh*t. Off topic. Thor rules!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, I always did wonder why Thor back in the day bothered deflecting bullets instead of tanking them. That said, he has tanked them in one 90s story, had Volstagg's axe shatter on his chest in Oeming's run, tanked bullets in JMS's run (he had the OF though) and we know Jane with his powers is 100% bulletproof -- she has tanked them Superman style twice iirc. Different writers I guess.

In my opinion, it makes more sense for him to be invulnerable to ordinary, man-made blades/bullets but where magical/mythical weapons are concerned, all bets are off.
    jpeg1.jpg

jpeg2.jpg

jpeg3.jpg
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Mighty Member

Anyone remembers Surtur? Like he was the arch-enemy of Odin and rivals Loki as the primary villain in the series. The fact that he is still dead bothers me and since Loki had been changing sides multiple times still bugs me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Nice! I knew I was remembering correctly lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Anyone remembers Surtur? Like he was the arch-enemy of Odin and rivals Loki as the primary villain in the series. The fact that he is still dead bothers me and since Loki had been changing sides multiple times still bugs me.
    he is pretty much replaced by Sindr.