Page 21 of 179 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

This is a relatively recent thing though, isn't it? I mean, I think Simonson was the one who first said that Thor could hear prayers directed at him, but he didn't suggest they gave him any extra power. Certainly I don't remember the Deluxe Handbook saying that the gods received power in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    This is a relatively recent thing though, isn't it? I mean, I think Simonson was the one who first said that Thor could hear prayers directed at him, but he didn't suggest they gave him any extra power. Certainly I don't remember the Deluxe Handbook saying that the gods received power in this way.
    it was back during JMS as well iirc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    well yeah they are Gods.
    So what do you think about this scan??

5DE4E0AA-3F40-4B55-B8AA-612BF9D1C898.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Hmm interesting.

So prayers is a part of his Godly powers then?
    Well, I don't think there's much consistency with this, sometimes Asgardians are just space aliens after all, but....yeah, basically.

Asgardians aren't totally dependent on prayer. Otherwise they'd be powerless or extinct. So Thor's powers are there whether he's worshiped or not. But Thor (and presumably all Asgardians) can hear when people pray to them, even across galaxies, and have gotten power ups from mass prayer before.

So....I guess you could say it's sort of like Captain Marvel's Binary mode, or Super Saiyan from Dragon Ball. Thor is one of comics' most powerful heroes, but if you can get a planet to all pray to him at the same time, he becomes even stronger.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

5DE4E0AA-3F40-4B55-B8AA-612BF9D1C898.jpg
    can't see it clearly.

BANNED

can't see it clearly.
    I’m using a phone sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I don't think there's much consistency with this, sometimes Asgardians are just space aliens after all, but....yeah, basically.

Asgardians aren't totally dependent on prayer. Otherwise they'd be powerless or extinct. So Thor's powers are there whether he's worshiped or not. But Thor (and presumably all Asgardians) can hear when people pray to them, even across galaxies, and have gotten power ups from mass prayer before.

So....I guess you could say it's sort of like Captain Marvel's Binary mode, or Super Saiyan from Dragon Ball. Thor is one of comics' most powerful heroes, but if you can get a planet to all pray to him at the same time, he becomes even stronger.
    But Prayers are not the source of his power as we already know. And as you explained.

My thing and what I was arguing with someone else is that Thor doesn’t need prayers for him to activate his Godly powers. Can he use it yes, but it’s not the source of his Godly power. That’s what I was arguing with someone against.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

can't see it clearly.
    That's from Peter David's Captain Marvel. The part where Genis goes nuts.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I know you don't like the portrayal of Thanos there, but even then it was a pretty good arc and Mangog was a badass beast as always.
    Meh, it was average at best imo. It was basically a standard save the princess and get the magic macguffins before the villains do.

Although i liked the gritty sci-fi artwork of Jose Ladronn when the Thanosi clone and Mangog destroy Rigel-3. Really underrated artist. I would love to see him work with Al Ewing.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Just to be quick, here's a top 10 list of Thor stories.

https://comicbook.com/2014/09/28/10-...s-of-all-time/

My favorite runs are Lee/Kirby, Simonson and DeFalco.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Personally, I had no complaints with the list. The only additions I'd make would be these three:

"Every Hand Against Him!" (Journey into Mystery #110)

"The Power of the Thunder God!" (Journey into Mystery #111)

"Alone Against the Celestials!" (Thor #387, 388, 389)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Read all of Dan Jurgens run, I have no idea why it's not on the list, but it's easily the best Thor run alongside Simonson's.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think i will start 1st with The God-Butcher & God-Bomb.

Another Question: Is Thor bulletproof? Is it widely accepted among fans that he's bulletproof, if it is the case?

My thing and what I was arguing with someone else is that Thor doesn’t need prayers for him to activate his Godly powers. Can he use it yes, but it’s not the source of his Godly power. That’s what I was arguing with someone against.
    Ah, I misunderstood, apologies.

No, prayers are not where Thor's powers come from, he doesn't need them to use his abilities, etc.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

that was genis complaining that they're are only classified as gods because they can hear prayers and get worshiped, not that prayers and worship made them stronger, because he considered himself as powerful as the gods but didn't like that he wasn't classified as one.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 01-26-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Have you seen the preview of next week issue, "Thor #2"? Maybe it's a little too obvious, but we have a reference to DC's Justice League here, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    that was genis complaining that they're are only classified as gods because they can hear prayers and get worshiped, not that prayers and worship made them stronger, because he considered himself as powerful as the gods but didn't like that he wasn't classified as one.
    I know I just wanted to know what the other user thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ah, I misunderstood, apologies.

No, prayers are not where Thor's powers come from, he doesn't need them to use his abilities, etc.
    EXACTLY, my point. That’s what I’ve been saying to my opponent outside of CBR. I don’t understand why this is a problem for them.

Amazing Member

I have a question for you Thor fans.

Does Thor get his powers through Prayer???

I have found scans where it’s stated that Thor’s powers are produced by the prayers of Humans. Now, I’m not an expert of Thor, but even I know that’s not entirely true.

So, I wanna know what you guys think?
    Generally? No, but this depends on who is writing him. Keiron Gillen and Al Ewing had an interesting take -- gods don't need prayers but they are shaped by stories. That's how Kid Loki was able to engineer the Serpent's defeat, among other things. I think Aaron is running with this as well.

That's from Peter David's Captain Marvel. The part where Genis goes nuts.
    Agreed. Marv may have been nuts, but at least he helped show Thor the truth about Asgard.

Meh, it was average at best imo. It was basically a standard save the princess and get the magic macguffins before the villains do.

Although i liked the gritty sci-fi artwork of Jose Ladronn when the Thanosi clone and Mangog destroy Rigel-3. Really underrated artist. I would love to see him work with Al Ewing.
    Ladronn is one of my all-time favorites and, as you said, a really underrated artist.

Also surprisingly, with how long he's been in the business, he isn't as prolific as I thought.