Page 158 of 179 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2680
    Amazing Member

Oooh, just a funny tidbit. Some of Aaron's detractors have said that he writes Thor as a Barbarian (which is kind of apt, now I don't -really- have a problem with Viking/Barbarian Thor as a concept) but readin Aaron's Conan the Barbarian (A character I LOVE to bits), 12 issues of setup that doesn't really live up to the hype. I'd say he can't really write Barbarians that well either. He doesn't trash Conan like he did Thor, but I suspect that is because Conan's basically the Chadtheist that Aaron wishes he was. Lol.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themarkus View Post
    I mean, and this is coming from an Open-minded Atheist/ cynical-agnostic, Aaron's pretty vocal about his atheism and how he REALLY doesn't like gods right? He's also of the era of deconstructionist writers who love/loved Alan Moore (Aaron did say that he didn't like him when Alan said something mean about something) but don't get that whenever they do something Alan Moore already did, they're just being super-edgy trying to push it further than Alan did.

I'm not saying Alan Moore is a man to look up too or not, that's not my place. But I'm saying that Aaron's been pretty open with deconstructing anything mystical he got his hands on (Strange/Thor/Odin), whilst elevating the heroes like Moon Knight or Jane. Showing that giving mortals godly powers makes them better than the gods whose power they are currently wield.

I never read Southern Bastards, my first exposure to Jason Aaron was God of Thunder who, after the previous arcs/writers since JMS where a step up when it came to showcasing Thor being a great superhero. But I NEVER thought it was as epic or clever as the JMS or say the Celestial Saga and the whole decade-long arc with Jane and the Thundergoddesses three never got better, it just introduced more things I didn't like at all. ONCE during the whole time Aaron wrote Thor did I "like" what he wrote, and that was the issue right after the GoT where Thor goes around and is a basic "Do-gooder" doing things like making a Nun question her vow of celibacy. It was fun that was the only time I saw something I genuinely "liked" about Aaron's writing when reflecting about the whole arc. I honestly can't say I understand why Aaron's been awarded and lauded for his writing, other than that the comic-book journals/companies being a closed off system of people congratulating one another, especially progressives. Because from my understanding however limited it may be (as I don't have any higher literary education) Aaron's not a good writer, he's not even a bad writer, at best I'd put him as a mediocre writer. Because, and this is the kicker, I suspect that the ONLY reason his tenure on Thor is going to be memorable isn't because it was spectacularly good. It is because it was divisive and that it angered the -right- people. As people have pointed out, especially with Jane, it was a basic Thor story but with Jane.

So, in conclusion before I start rambling on. Aaron's an edgy, mediocre writer whose Atheism is showing ALOT in what he writes, he uses his comics as a soapbox and preaches to his fans and at his detractors. I'm glad Donny Cates is changing much of Aaron's creations without actually addressing them much.
    Thank you for writing this. A really well made post.

I also want to add Aaron turning the Tianian Eternals into banal morons from suburban america that can be easily killed like Earth humans in Thanos Rising.

I'm also a fan of Conan the Cimmerian. I've been trying to read most of Roy Thomas Conan stories. Lots of gritty D&D style fun.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-15-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    Wasn't it just last week he proclaimed he didn't need Mjolnir and all that jazz?!? maybe no one told Aaron that.

But reading Cates take on Thor compared to Aarons I'll take Cates all day. He took no time erasing the gold arm and eye patch. I remember a podcast or something where he mentioned the arm/eye patch/beard Thor was Aarons Thor and he didn't want to write Aarons Thor.
    Glad to hear that 'cause...yeaahh.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Glad to hear that 'cause...yeaahh.
    OG!Thor: The hammer was just a tool and i'm still the noble and powerful god of thunder.

Jobhor (Aaron's jobber Thor): I can't tie my shoes without muh hammer! Also wheres the mead?

Cates: Wait that's illegal.

Aaron: Ah ah ah. Moons go boom boom on Thor.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-16-2020 at 05:20 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by themarkus View Post
    I mean, and this is coming from an Open-minded Atheist/ cynical-agnostic, Aaron's pretty vocal about his atheism and how he REALLY doesn't like gods right? He's also of the era of deconstructionist writers who love/loved Alan Moore (Aaron did say that he didn't like him when Alan said something mean about something) but don't get that whenever they do something Alan Moore already did, they're just being super-edgy trying to push it further than Alan did.

I'm not saying Alan Moore is a man to look up too or not, that's not my place. But I'm saying that Aaron's been pretty open with deconstructing anything mystical he got his hands on (Strange/Thor/Odin), whilst elevating the heroes like Moon Knight or Jane. Showing that giving mortals godly powers makes them better than the gods whose power they are currently wield.

I never read Southern Bastards, my first exposure to Jason Aaron was God of Thunder who, after the previous arcs/writers since JMS where a step up when it came to showcasing Thor being a great superhero. But I NEVER thought it was as epic or clever as the JMS or say the Celestial Saga and the whole decade-long arc with Jane and the Thundergoddesses three never got better, it just introduced more things I didn't like at all. ONCE during the whole time Aaron wrote Thor did I "like" what he wrote, and that was the issue right after the GoT where Thor goes around and is a basic "Do-gooder" doing things like making a Nun question her vow of celibacy. It was fun that was the only time I saw something I genuinely "liked" about Aaron's writing when reflecting about the whole arc. I honestly can't say I understand why Aaron's been awarded and lauded for his writing, other than that the comic-book journals/companies being a closed off system of people congratulating one another, especially progressives. Because from my understanding however limited it may be (as I don't have any higher literary education) Aaron's not a good writer, he's not even a bad writer, at best I'd put him as a mediocre writer. Because, and this is the kicker, I suspect that the ONLY reason his tenure on Thor is going to be memorable isn't because it was spectacularly good. It is because it was divisive and that it angered the -right- people. As people have pointed out, especially with Jane, it was a basic Thor story but with Jane.

So, in conclusion before I start rambling on. Aaron's an edgy, mediocre writer whose Atheism is showing ALOT in what he writes, he uses his comics as a soapbox and preaches to his fans and at his detractors. I'm glad Donny Cates is changing much of Aaron's creations without actually addressing them much.
    There was his response to the She-Hulk critics, which was less than graceful. I remember Illuminated Comics calling Gorr a superpowered 14-year old edgelord athiest who spends too much time on Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    There was his response to the She-Hulk critics, which was less than graceful. I remember Illuminated Comics calling Gorr a superpowered 14-year old edgelord athiest who spends too much time on Reddit.
    Gorr Is not an atheist but a misotheist.

Why is Thor losing Mjolnir again? What is it going to take for him to finally have a permanent hammer?

While I am enjoying the book, I'm still pretty torn and pissy about the treatment of Galactus lol. Marvel Editorial really needs to get a handle on what can and cannot be done with that character.

BANNED

I don't mind that Thor beat Galactus under the circumstances that he did, it's a bit of a stretch but whatever, but i dunno why Cates had to add insult to injury by making Glactus whine and Thor s#&t talk him like he did.

When you do stuff like that to a character it's very hard to bring back their reputation, at one point in time Galactus was the big bad of Marvel, like the ultimate big bad and apart from Ewing making Lifebringer a few years ago i can't remember the last time i took him seriously... or Marvel took him seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I don't mind that Thor beat Galactus under the circumstances that he did, it's a bit of a stretch but whatever, but i dunno why Cates had to add insult to injury by making Glactus whine and Thor s#&t talk him like he did.

When you do stuff like that to a character it's very hard to bring back their reputation, at one point in time Galactus was the big bad of Marvel, like the ultimate big bad and apart from Ewing making Lifebringer a few years ago i can't remember the last time i took him seriously... or Marvel took him seriously.
    Exactly. I can get behind Thor defeating Galactus, and by defeating him I mean thwarting his goal or to stave him off somehow, but for Thor to be able to man-handle him and sh*t-talk him and then defeat him totally, even with the Power Cosmic, is crazy to me. And this is a supposed full-powered Galactus having just fed on multiple planets. If this kind of thing was done to Thor we'd have 40 pages of moaning about it, justifiably. Thor books have been bad for this in recent years, dragging Galactus in as a punching bag for Thor so he can look bigger. The Galactus seed thing, the Old King Thor vs Galactus, and this now. I love Thor, he's one of my all-time favourites, but Galactus should be so far beyond him it's not even funny. All that being said, I still enjoyed it, but the Galactus thing will forever irk me.

Like, remember when it took the combined might of the Avengers and the FF and Dr Strange to take on a severely weakened Galactus, and still all they essentially did was knock him over? We've come a long way.
    Last edited by Doombot; 10-16-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Yes, Marvel are crapping on a great many characters. I don't support it even if it is done to boost one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    While I am enjoying the book, I'm still pretty torn and pissy about the treatment of Galactus lol. Marvel Editorial really needs to get a handle on what can and cannot be done with that character.
    I feel the same about Thanos and Doom.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-16-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Yes, Marvel are crapping on a great many characters. I don't support it even if it is done to boost one of my favourites.
    Modern Marvel writers don't know how to write cosmic and mystical characters.

They try to humanize and weaken them as much as possible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Modern Marvel writers don't know how to write cosmic and mystical characters.

They try to humanize and weaken them as much as possible.
    Naturally, that means that they really shouldn't be characters at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    OG!Thor: The hammer was just a tool and i'm still the noble and powerful god of thunder.

Jobhor (Aaron's jobber Thor): I can't tie my shoes without muh hammer! Also wheres the mead?

Cates: Wait that's illegal.

Aaron: Ah ah ah. Moons go boom boom on Thor.
    Lol, pretty much.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.