Page 35 of 179 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Hating gods is not atheism but misotheism.
    In the context of the comics though, a more apt word for it would be racism, though.

Gods are people with differing motivations, actions, beliefs and cultures. Within comics themselves, they are a sentient and sapient race, even if what being a God actually is, is rather vague.

To be clear, in a real world context, Gorr's racism is about as harmless as you can get. It's directed against a fictional group of people that have never existed and not representative of any modern, real world culture. Its like being racist against gnomes.

That Thor should be held to account for the actions of other people is a little troubling, IMO, but the hammer legitimizing Thor's depression is by far the worst message of the run.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In the context of the comics though, a more apt word for it would be racism, though.

Gods are people with differing motivations, actions, beliefs and cultures. Within comics themselves, they are a sentient and sapient race, even if what being a God actually is, is rather vague.

To be clear, in a real world context, Gorr's racism is about as harmless as you can get. It's directed against a fictional group of people that have never existed and not representative of any modern, real world culture. Its like being racist against gnomes.

That Thor should be held to account for the actions of other people is a little troubling, IMO, but the hammer legitimizing Thor's depression is by far the worst message of the run.
    Oh yeah, Aaron turned Mjolnir into a fickle piece of doo-doo as Fernando Comics said.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Where is Aaron's premiere fanboy btw ? Haven't seen him post in here for a while.

Makes me think he was more a fan of Aaron than Thor....

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Where is Aaron's premiere fanboy btw ? Haven't seen him post in here for a while.

Yeah. He was -clearly- a fan of Aaron and not one of Thor. And he was clearly very fond of his own opinions. I will hand it to him though, he could argue TIRELESSLY to defend Aaron to the point where I think he was an actual fan of the writer and not a Troll. A Troll would have long lost interest in this. His dedication was enviable even though, in my opinion, what he stated in his analysis about Thor and Aaron's writing was utter garbage.

Perhaps from a very post-modernist/ deconstructing point of view what he said made sense but according to basic (and I mean basic because I'm not even college educated) narrative principles and the story's internal consistency and verisimilitude it didn't.

Plot twist though. Maybe he's a Hulk Fan all along? Our dreaded Nemisis' battling us endlessly in our own Forum, right under our very noses? And we are powerless to ban him. xD

Dun dun duuuuuuu.....

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Three issues into the Cates run on the book and its like coming out of the desert. This is more like the Thor I remember.....and Galactus......and Beta Ray Bill. I am really enjoying everything so far. I like the art, I like the story, I like the characters.

Sooooo much better than before. I just hope it keeps on going in a good way.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Three issues into the Cates run on the book and its like coming out of the desert. This is more like the Thor I remember.....and Galactus......and Beta Ray Bill. I am really enjoying everything so far. I like the art, I like the story, I like the characters.

Sooooo much better than before. I just hope it keeps on going in a good way.
    Same for me as well. This is the most I have enjoyed a Thor series in a very long time.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

JKtheMac? I think he realized that a Thor centered thread isn't a safe place for Aaron fans and he will never convince us to like Aaron's Jobhor (Jobber Thor).
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    JKtheMac? I think he realized that a Thor centered thread isn't a safe place for Aaron fans and he will never convince us to like Aaron's Jobhor (Jobber Thor).
    there is Jane Valkyrie thread around here so he is most likely there.

BANNED

I think that guy is probably Jason Aaron himself lol. JK

I think that guy probably followed more Aaron than he did Thor, now that Cates is on the title, he went away i guess.

Still would love to hear his opinion on how Aaron made She-Hulk a Hulk with a wig so that she would avoid the male gaze but than gave her a micro bikini as a super advanced Wakanda armor lol.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 02-16-2020 at 04:41 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Perhaps he was tired of such a negative "Appreciation" thread? I pop in here occasionally and it honestly feels more like a haters group lol. It’s definitely the most negative appreciation thread I’ve come across on CBR.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Perhaps he was tired of such a negative "Appreciation" thread? I pop in here occasionally and it honestly feels more like a haters group lol. It’s definitely the most negative appreciation thread I’ve come across on CBR.
    That had to do with Thor going through one of his terrible phases where he was written very out of character and was jobbing a lot, that sort of negativity building over the years is understandable. Hulk has gone through the same thing in the past but nowadays is going through a phenomenal series and brilliant characterization so the appreciation thread is pretty much all positive.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That had to do with Thor going through one of his terrible phases where he was written very out of character and was jobbing a lot, that sort of negativity building over the years is understandable. Hulk has gone through the same thing in the past but nowadays is going through a phenomenal series and brilliant characterization so the appreciation thread is pretty much all positive.
    Perhaps, I really enjoyed the run but that’s neither here nor there. Do you think the attitude has changed now Cates has started our run? I’d suggest it’s still pretty negative. What’s more, you basically have people mocking a guy for appreciating a run, like you have to pick a side. It’s all very strange in my eyes.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps, I really enjoyed the run but that’s neither here nor there. Do you think the attitude has changed now Cates has started our run? I’d suggest it’s still pretty negative. What’s more, you basically have people mocking a guy for appreciating a run, like you have to pick a side. It’s all very strange in my eyes.
    A lot of Thor fans have felt the last near decade of stories were very negative for Thor, it's gonna take time for that to run through, the fact the thread is so active betrays an underlying love of the character

Of course if you loved the recent version of Thor, that might be a bit rough

But I would hope people can see what it might have been like if you didn't like Thor being turned into a depressing drunkard constantly whining about his nonsensical unworthiness whilst also supporting a fascist dictator and who has clearly forgot all the humility lessons his father taught him as a youth, and also enduring his dad becoming a maniacle hatemonger as appose to the god of wisdom he used to be who couldn't even manage the enchantments he crafted on the weapon he empowered

But that aside, I think the appreciations still there, it's just three issues post Aaron, give it a bit of time
    Last edited by kilderkin; 02-16-2020 at 08:50 AM.

BANNED

It has certainly shifted already, from being overwhelmingly negative to being mostly positive, at worst a "mixed bag", so things have definitely shifted. Even for me, although i have some problems with the run i can still tell that Cates really tries to write something fun and that he loves writing Thor as a Norse god of death metal or something, he enjoys the character, this is not the same sense i got from Aaron. Eh that guy appreciated Aarons writing more than the run itself, my biggest problem with him is that he would contradict himself and defend things that should be indefensibly, for instance we can agree or disagree with a writer or his writing, but once you use a comic book to literally break the 4th wall to mock some fanboys on twitter, that's pretty pathetic... and Aaron did it multiple times.

I'd argue since 2007 when Thor returned it's been mostly a mixed bag of narrative quality and characterization. IMO, the highlights are slowly becoming overshadowed by the lows, but that could be because of the general way a character like Thor (and other powerful beings based on magic) is treated in the company. The Quesada/Bendis/Millar Marvel Knights injection greatly influenced how superheroes and characters in general are handled in Marvel and that style is still prevalent.