Page 75 of 179 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2680

Almost forgot to bring this up: how do folks feel about Thor resisting Wolverine's adamantium claws? Too over the top?

Also, does anyone here have any dangling plot lines, or otherwise, any concepts that have been brought up in Thor mythos that were never really delved into or explored completely?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think I've said before that one of the smartest things Stan and Jack did was to make Thor's level of resistance to injury somewhat ambiguous, with his whirling-hammer-shield suggesting that he was somewhat vulnerable to harm, even though by rights if he could take the superhumanly strong Ulik smacking him in the face with those knuckle-dusters without breaking the skin he shouldn't really be worried about bullets doing any damage. Whatever the logic, I find the whole invulnerable hero kind of dull - I'd rather see a Thor who bled a little in fights and used his hammer as a shield sometimes, to the modern version that stands there as bullets bounce off him. I'd keep it ambiguous if I could.
    I would disagree because it creates narrative inconsistencies from creative team to creative team, among other things. Like others have said, it's a bit ridiculous for Thor to fly through the sun but deflect bullets from a simple AK-47. I guess it's an annoying trope writers use to portray a sense of danger and inject "humanism" or narrative tension in the story. It's one thing if bullets "stung" or were annoying to Thor, so he simply uses his speed and skill to deflect them. It's another to have him fear a bunch of thugs with some uzis, but have no problem fighting Mangog, Thanos or others more powerful than he.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Almost forgot to bring this up: how do folks feel about Thor resisting Wolverine's adamantium claws? Too over the top?
    too much, even thanos has been cut by them, and gladiator's been cut clean through his shoulder.

BANNED

Also, does anyone here have any dangling plot lines, or otherwise, any concepts that have been brought up in Thor mythos that were never really delved into or explored completely?
    I loved that, I personally like it more when Thor is portrayed as nigh-invulnerable, makes sense as well considering he is a god, and as such should be above most mortal superpowered people, having him be barely scratched by Wolverine's claws was a treat to see.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    too much, even thanos has been cut by them, and gladiator's been cut clean through his shoulder.
    Thanos seemed to be only mildy irritated by Wolverine's claws before turning his skeleton into spongy rubber.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This is fascinating. I haven't read much classic Thor; I've gotten my hands on most of Simmonson but other than that, it's basically just from JMS on, with a lot of holes in the collection.

But I had never considered that Thor's durability is....situational, rather than static. But that makes sense to me, even setting aside the original myths (which I'm a huge fan of) and the canon you referenced from the comics themselves. Wonder Woman is (was) in the same kind of range; bullets and man-made weapons could harm her, she'd lose her powers if she was bound by a man, yet other attacks and offensive powers wouldn't harm her. It all seemed to be wrapped up in the philosophy behind her creation, and being a divine creature, it made "sense."

I wonder, if Thor's more invulnerable now than he used to be, is that due to writers making him more powerful in response to the Superman archetype, or is the general power creep found within many comics to blame?

Always nice to see you post, Mr. Busiek, your insights are always interesting to read. Man, I have *so* many questions I'd love to ask, if this weren't a public forum with a specific topic....
    He has a thread here where he answers questions, just google "Ask Kurt Busiek CBR" and it will pop up immediately.

Explore the nine realms or the mythological pantheons that got barely touched upon. I'd like to see Thor meeting Susanoo.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Thanos seemed to be only mildy irritated by Wolverine's claws before turning his skeleton into spongy rubber.
    But he was cut by them. That's important considering who thanos is, and how much above he is compared with thor

BANNED

Hel yeah!

The good times, Thor used to be almost equal to Hulk in a sheer fist fight and above him when Mjolnir and lightning came into play, and most of their fights were pretty stellar to see and could go to either side, nowadays that rivalry has no longer meaning and Thor has gotten the shitty end of the stick, being shown flat out inferior the last five times they fought, granted three of those featured an Unworthy Thor, but still hurts.

I wish we can get Thor back to a proper level where he once more dominates Hulk with Mjolnir and lightning and can give him a good fight with his sheer fists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    The good times, Thor used to be almost equal to Hulk in a sheer fist fight and above him when Mjolnir and lightning came into play, and most of their fights were pretty stellar to see and could go to either side, nowadays that rivalry has no longer meaning and Thor has gotten the shitty end of the stick, being shown flat out inferior the last five times they fought, granted three of those featured an Unworthy Thor, but still hurts.

I wish we can get Thor back to a proper level where he once more dominates Hulk with Mjolnir and lightning and can give him a good fight with his sheer fists.
    Thor needs an upgrade, and not temporary stuff like the Power Cosmic. The Odinforce Is just slightly stronger lightning at this point.

When did Thor resist his claws, are you talking about a specific book?

Does anyone know when Wolverine was first shown to actually cut or stab Hulk with his claws? It's practically commonplace now for Wolverine to be seen digging the claws right into Hulk or slashing him open, but I seem to remember reading as a kid, that while adamantium may be able to cut Hulk, Wolverine himself was not strong enough to force the adamantium through Hulk's skin. I always thought that made sense, but in the last 20 years probably, you see Wolverine do it all the time. He slashes up Hulk, Stabbed the Thing right through the shoulder and slashed Thor's side (and scratched his face) in that Thor vs Wolverine book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    When did Thor resist his claws, are you talking about a specific book?

Does anyone know when Wolverine was first shown to actually cut or stab Hulk with his claws? It's practically commonplace now for Wolverine to be seen digging the claws right into Hulk or slashing him open, but I seem to remember reading as a kid, that while adamantium may be able to cut Hulk, Wolverine himself was not strong enough to force the adamantium through Hulk's skin. I always thought that made sense, but in the last 20 years probably, you see Wolverine do it all the time. He slashes up Hulk, Stabbed the Thing right through the shoulder and slashed Thor's side (and scratched his face) in that Thor vs Wolverine book.
    PAD retconned in that wolverine did actually cut hulk, but hulk just healed too fast to notice

Not a fan of that, but what can you do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Not a fan of that, but what can you do.
    I think a lot of modern writers and fans prefer the vulnerable, but healing hulk because it adds more brutality to the fight since injuries still hurt and you get blood

BANNED

Thor needs an upgrade, and not temporary stuff like the Power Cosmic. The Odinforce Is just slightly stronger lightning at this point.
    He doesn't really need an upgrade, his birthpower is enough to accomplish that, it just needs to be portrayed well.