Page 22 of 179 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I know I just wanted to know what the other user thought about it.
    you don't care what I think about it???

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    This is a relatively recent thing though, isn't it? I mean, I think Simonson was the one who first said that Thor could hear prayers directed at him, but he didn't suggest they gave him any extra power.
    Yes, I think he did bring that idea to the Thor comics, but I am not completely sure now if Alan Zelenetz mentioned it somewhere around the same time or earlier. He wrote some non-canonical Thor comics, such as The Raven Banner graphic novel and a story titled Sea of Destiny in the Bizarre Adventures #32.

Anyway, Simonson's explanation of the nature of the gods from Orion #24 is far better than anything that has been done with them at Marvel. On one hand, it's firmly based on Kirby's ideas, and, on the other, on the idealistic philosophy. The New Gods was a sort of meta-sequel to Thor and I suppose that a similar explanation could have been used there, if Kirby had been allowed to finish that project at Marvel. Basically, and in the context of the things we are discussing here, human beings (or mortals), and not the gods, need prayers. I don't know where did the idea of the gods as parasitic mental entities come from. Dungeons and Dragons or some other game system? I'm not sure. Nevertheless, it's so overused, and, to me, the most tiresome idea these days.
    Last edited by Paradox_Nihil; 01-27-2020 at 03:51 AM.
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox_Nihil View Post
    Yes, I think he did bring that idea to the Thor comics, but I am not completely sure now if Alan Zelenetz mentioned it somewhere around the same time or earlier. He wrote some non-canonical Thor comics, such as The Raven Banner graphic novel and a story titled Sea of Destiny in the Bizarre Adventures #32.

Anyway, Simonson's explanation of the nature of the gods from Orion #24 is far better than anything that has been done with them at Marvel. On one hand, it's firmly based on Kirby's ideas, and, on the other, on the idealistic philosophy. The New Gods was a sort of meta-sequel to Thor and I suppose that a similar explanation could have been used there, if Kirby had been allowed to finish that project at Marvel. Basically, and in the context of the things we are discussing here, human beings (or mortals), and not the gods, need prayers. I don't know where did the idea of the gods as parasitic mental entities come from. Dungeons and Dragons or some other game system? I'm not sure. Nevertheless, it's so overused, and, to me, the most tiresome idea these days.
    Still better than writing gods and titans from other worlds like regular schmucks from Earth. (Read my thread on Thanos Rising for more)
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Meh, it was average at best imo. It was basically a standard save the princess and get the magic macguffins before the villains do.

Although i liked the gritty sci-fi artwork of Jose Ladronn when the Thanosi clone and Mangog destroy Rigel-3. Really underrated artist. I would love to see him work with Al Ewing.
    Well, the rest of the run was phenomenal either way.

Amazing Member

Still better than writing gods and titans from other worlds like regular schmucks from Earth. (Read my thread on Thanos Rising for more)
    Done. I can't contribute much, because I haven't read the comic. But I understand your frustration. Aaron's Marvel work is a mixed bag for me; I don't dislike his writing as much as many of you guys on this board, and I don't like it as much as that other group who enjoys or even "worships" it (irony or aarony of fate?! )

Regarding what's better from the aforementioned options... I guess you are right, but you're talking about characterization and I was talking about metaphysics of the gods. You can do crazy or stupid or inappropriate things with the characters or plot regardless of what the gods are.
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

How Straczinsky modernized Thor.

I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

How Straczinsky modernized Thor.

JMS was sooooo good in the title, if he had been on it for longer he would have defined the character and the way he's written for decades to come, instead we have Fraction and Aaron to thank for the shallow characterization of the character we used to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    JMS was sooooo good in the title, if he had been on it for longer he would have defined the character and the way he's written for decades to come, instead we have Fraction and Aaron to thank for the shallow characterization of the character we used to love.
    I don't know if the idea of turning Thor into a boorish barbarian with a chip on his shoulder and a potty mouth comes mostly from the MCU or Fraction. MCU Odin was more regal and sympathetic than Fraction/Aaron's Odin.

2013 was the last year Thor was written decently and Odin should have stayed in the afterlife fighting Surtur imo.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-28-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Ultimate Member

I don't know if the idea of turning Thor into a boorish barbarian with a chip on his shoulder and a potty mouth comes mostly from the MCU or Fraction. MCU Odin was more regal and sympathetic than Fraction/Aaron's Odin.

2013 was the last year Thor was written decently and Odin should have stayed in the afterlife fighting Surtur imo.
    Well, that wasn't the MCU Thor (after he became worthy), so I'd blame Fraction

Thor #2 review: spoiler free:

Just read the issue.
    I thought it was good.. I won’t go into too many details.
    1. As per the preview Thor and Galactus go at it.
    2. Sif does something cool
    3. Thor’s character is akin to his classic self because he just doesn’t care about what Galactus thinks.
    4. The final page is a bit obvious but cool.
    5. People who complain about Cates inconsistency with power levels probably have a case in a couple of scenes. Personally, I don’t think it’s anything to gripe about as it’s obviously shown for dramatic effect in the issue but I can understand if people do have an issue with it. I would have done the scene differently considering what power level Thor is on. Like I said, it’s nothing major and doesn’t diminish Thor in any way but considering what Thor displays in the issue it’s a bit strange.
    6.The mystery of Mjolnir getting heavier is interesting. I was thinking what if there is some influence of Mangog in the hammer causing these problems?
    Mangog’ s hate can’t really be destroyed and maybe after Thor reforged Mjolnir in the Sun an aspect of Mangog ‘s essence was able to become part of Mjolnir.
    I know it’s off the wall but who knows?
    7. Art is great in most places, some rushed panels in others that look a bit sketchy’ but overall great.
    8. Cates does write Thor’s voice well and seems to have got a good handle on his speech. Even though there were signs in the first issue that Thor seemed a bit “ Aaron-esque “ in some of his words this issue dispels that as his voice ( to me ) does seem to be more fitting of the classic version of the character and not the “ dick” that Cates said he thinks Thor is. However, it’s still early days but an overall enjoyable issue showing Thor’s nobility as a character.

I will give the issue: 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    Thor #2 review: spoiler free:

Just read the issue.
    I thought it was good.. I won’t go into too many details.
    1. As per the preview Thor and Galactus go at it.
    2. Sif does something cool
    3. Thor’s character is akin to his classic self because he just doesn’t care about what Galactus thinks.
    4. The final page is a bit obvious but cool.
    5. People who complain about Cates inconsistency with power levels probably have a case in a couple of scenes. Personally, I don’t think it’s anything to gripe about as it’s obviously shown for dramatic effect in the issue but I can understand if people do have an issue with it. I would have done the scene differently considering what power level Thor is on. Like I said, it’s nothing major and doesn’t diminish Thor in any way but considering what Thor displays in the issue it’s a bit strange.
    6.The mystery of Mjolnir getting heavier is interesting. I was thinking what if there is some influence of Mangog in the hammer causing these problems?
    Mangog’ s hate can’t really be destroyed and maybe after Thor reforged Mjolnir in the Sun an aspect of Mangog ‘s essence was able to become part of Mjolnir.
    I know it’s off the wall but who knows?
    7. Art is great in most places, some rushed panels in others that look a bit sketchy’ but overall great.
    8. Cates does write Thor’s voice well and seems to have got a good handle on his speech. Even though there were signs in the first issue that Thor seemed a bit “ Aaron-esque “ in some of his words this issue dispels that as his voice ( to me ) does seem to be more fitting of the classic version of the character and not the “ dick” that Cates said he thinks Thor is. However, it’s still early days but an overall enjoyable issue showing Thor’s nobility as a character.

I will give the issue: 8/10
    Great review. I saw a couple preview pages today on twitter that looked cool and have my interest piqued. Can't read it until I get off though .

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Not a bad a issue. Still going to check it out for a while but there’s nothing groundbreaking as yet.

Following the series. Some tension "resolved" between Thor and Galactus. And as noted there is some inconsistency with power levels (Thor and Galactus being impacted by actions on the last page). There's also fodder for a "steps vs. Darkseid" meme involving Thor and a boulder, but it is done for the purposes of carrying the story forward.

Toying with the motif of the potential unworthiness of mjolnir is interesting, especially as Thor attempts to reconcile his moral precepts vis a vis Galactus, who is above those morals.

I don't know enough about Thor to answer this question though...since he's now King Thor/All-father Thor, why doesn't he have the power/authority to change the enchantment that was placed on mjolnir by Odin? The hammer feeling ever so slightly heavier and heavier implies that Odin's enchantment can't be altered even by Odin's own successor.

BANNED

2 issues in and the consistency is completely out the window... And not in a small way either, Thor got hurt 3 times in the comic by very insignificant things but than goes and tanks a planet being destroyed... Yep Cates is gonna drive me insane.

It looks like Galactus is going to regret adding the Power Cosmic to Thor's already immense powers.