Page 68 of 179 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2680
    Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I was referring to this quote from King about the character Orion.

It doesn't bode well for a future movie version of Orion, my favorite character of the New Gods and he struggles to keep his violent impulses in check.

Orion was shown to have grown up in constant abuse before meeting Highfather in Jack Kirby's most acclaimed story ever! Didn't King read it?
    He was probably more influenced by Starlin's shitty, racist version of Orion. Not that King needs much help in shitting on characters, see Heroes in Crisis or his Batman run.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    He was probably more influenced by Starlin's shitty, racist version of Orion. Not that King needs much help in shitting on characters, see Heroes in Crisis or his Batman run.
    Starlin's DC works are not as good as his Marvel works. Although i don't think King Is familiar with Cosmic Odissey.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Spectacular Member

Question about a thing in Simonson's run. Thor was tricked by one of the elf's shapeshifting, but Roger is able to see it's a trick by listening to the elf's voice. Do mortals hear the true voice of dark elves no matter what? I'm probably thinking about too hard about it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Question about a thing in Simonson's run. Thor was tricked by one of the elf's shapeshifting, but Roger is able to see it's a trick by listening to the elf's voice. Do mortals hear the true voice of dark elves no matter what? I'm probably thinking about too hard about it lol.
    I think Roger has encountered Malekith's boys quite a few time to the point he became familiar with their tricks.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    I think you misunderstood what happened (if we're talking about the same incident): Roger knows that "Melodi" is an elf shapechanger, not because he hears the true voice, but because the ointment that gave him the power to see the Dark Elves has been blasted out of his eyes by Malekith, so he could hear "Melodi" but couldn't see her; realising that the only reason she'd be invisible to him would be if she was actually and elf, he throws his gun at the sound of her voice.

I don't think there is anything to suggest he recognised the voice was elven, just that the peculiar circumstances of the situation meant he had an advantage in that situation that Thor did not.
    Last edited by Panic; 04-20-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think you misunderstood what happened (if we're talking about the same incident): Roger knows that "Melodi" is an elf shapechanger, not because he hears the true voice, but because the ointment that gave him the power to see the Dark Elves has been blasted out of his eyes by Malekith, so he could hear "Melodi" but couldn't see her; realising that the only reason she'd be invisible to him would be if she was actually and elf, he throws his gun at the sound of her voice.

I don't think there is anything to suggest he recognised the voice was elven, just that the peculiar circumstances of the situation meant he had an advantage in that situation that Thor did not.
    Gotcha! That makes more sense. Man, what a cool run.

For me it's the best balanced run in terms of having a sense of humour without parodying Thor or the concept; being epic while feeling quite natural and not a contrived event to sell comics; juggling the old Norse mythological references without forgetting that Thor is also a super-hero with ties to modern Earth and its super-hero community; and introducing new supporting cast members without ditching or denigrating old ones. I think it's one of the best runs of the eighties (and the eighties had some pretty special runs).

For me it's the best balanced run in terms of having a sense of humour without parodying Thor or the concept; being epic while feeling quite natural and not a contrived event to sell comics; juggling the old Norse mythological references without forgetting that Thor is also a super-hero with ties to modern Earth and its super-hero community; and introducing new supporting cast members without ditching or denigrating old ones. I think it's one of the best runs of the eighties (and the eighties had some pretty special runs).
    Vehemently agreed .

Its a pity Simonson never had Thor use the god blast against Surtur or Jormungand though.

I agree there were great runs in the eighties

DeMatteis and Gruenwald's Captain America.

John Byrne's Fantastic Four.

Roger Stern's Avengers
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-20-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Vehemently agreed .
    Ditto! You'll get no argument from me, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Its a pity Simonson never had Thor use the god blast against Surtur or Jormungand though.

I agree there were great runs in the eighties

DeMatteis and Gruenwald's Captain America.

John Byrne's Fantastic Four.

Roger Stern's Avengers
    Agree about there being a plethora of great runs during the 80's, but don't forget...

Michelinie/Layton's Iron Man

Frank Miller's Daredevil

Roger Stern's Spider-Man

I loved Jurgens stuff, Simonson (I liked his Orion too) and Stracynski. I wasn't a huge fan of Busiek's interpretation of Thor. Can't handle bullets. Really?

Stracynski got it right.

"Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I loved Jurgens stuff, Simonson (I liked his Orion too) and Stracynski. I wasn't a huge fan of Busiek's interpretation of Thor. Can't handle bullets. Really?

Stracynski got it right.

'Dat Coiple Thor .

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

If you’re able to write Thor as an animal while at the same time having a convincing sense of dramatic tension, they I think you’ve won at writing for Thor.

That's the run (JMS) that made me a fan.

Was never a Avengers guy back in the day. I was a fan of the X and FF but (to me) the Avengers always felt like a B-team Justice League who (mostly) couldn't carry solo books. Then Iron Man hit theaters, and I dug that, and Fraction's run was made for people like me. Heard about them making a Thor film, and wanted to get into that before the movie hit. Finding the classic runs wasn't much of an option at the time, and I tried a lot of random crap that left me wondering how Thor stayed in publication until I got to JMS. And with that I was like "Ah, got it!" Been a fan ever since. And Coiple Thor is still how I envision the character (but in my head I add a beard).

And I finally managed to get the Simonson stuff last year. And that.....hot damn, that! is worthy of its reputation.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-20-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

On the subject of writing, how are you all here feeling about Donny Cate’s writing for Thor so far?