Page 139 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2680

Cates bringing back Donald Blake?

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Best Galactus I’ve seen was in DnAs run on November. He was such a big threat he didn’t even take notice of Nova.
    he wasn't so bad in Doctor Strange as well.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    In which comic exactly?
    Woops, I meant DnAs run on Nova.
    It was #15 I think or round about then. The planet was doomed and being fed to Galactus and Nova was trying to save as many as he could (and ended up fighting the Silver Surfer briefly)

Fantastic Member

Pertaining to the return of Don Blake:

Was the "Donald Blake Construct" saga from the mid 90s Roy Thomas Thor run of any significance?

I gather it was confusing AF, but was the upshot of no consequence?

BANNED

Thanos hasn't actually been on a prominent role or as the main villain in anything for years, mostly guest appearances, I see here some complaints that he has suffered character regression and fell back to a villanous role, this I can somewhat understand, but even then, people need to get used to it, villains never stay good for long, especially not in Thanos' case considering he is currently the biggest and most recognizable villain, and probably 3rd or 2nd in cinema history, so he'll obviously be on a villanous role in the comics, the sooner his die-hard fans that complain whenever he is used as a villain get this, the sooner they can come to terms with it, that's not changing anytime soon, better get used to it.

BANNED

I love how Cates is tying up all the titles he has written and they will all probably climax and come to fruition in this book, I am so hyped. Loved this arc and I've liked everything Cates has written at Marvel, he clearly has a plan and I can't wait to see when he connects all that he's been doing with his multiple titles.

All-New Member

This is a great issue, I loved it! It’s depicting Thor as a powerful god which many writers before missed the mark by a long way. Thor is the son of Odin and the earth goddess Gaea. He was always created to be even more powerful than any Asgardian before him including his father. I despair every time his skull was fractured by one punch from the Hulk, or Moonknight punking him and taking his hammer or bloody Jane foster suddenly being just the best Thor ever just because. Anybody remember the nobody Amadeus Cho wrecking Thor? Or Emma Frost? That is what Thor has been reduced to over the years. When Thor faces up against Spider-Man or Wolverine or Iron Man it shouldn’t even be called a fight. When Thor is depicted like the bad ass he is in this issue and you have a problem with it then I think this is not the character for you. The problem has always been Thor being portrayed to be relatable to earthlings and that’s where you start to have problems, trying to make him fit in with Captain America or Black Widow or some such character. Thor is way way beyond that and they should remove him from the Avengers team so he can properly flourish. This was a fantastic issue and I hope Cates continues on this track and leaves earth behind. Bring on the next arc!

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Thanos hasn't actually been on a prominent role or as the main villain in anything for years, mostly guest appearances, I see here some complaints that he has suffered character regression and fell back to a villanous role, this I can somewhat understand, but even then, people need to get used to it, villains never stay good for long, especially not in Thanos' case considering he is currently the biggest and most recognizable villain, and probably 3rd or 2nd in cinema history, so he'll obviously be on a villanous role in the comics, the sooner his die-hard fans that complain whenever he is used as a villain get this, the sooner they can come to terms with it, that's not changing anytime soon, better get used to it.
    At least write Thanos as a magnificent bastard schemer and scientist that can outsmart almost everybody and not as a rampaging brute with no planning.

Aaron, Bendis and Hickman are to Thanos what Kurtzman is to Star Trek.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 08-21-2020 at 02:34 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Ultimate Member

I love how Cates is tying up all the titles he has written and they will all probably climax and come to fruition in this book, I am so hyped. Loved this arc and I've liked everything Cates has written at Marvel, he clearly has a plan and I can't wait to see when he connects all that he's been doing with his multiple titles.
    Same here.

I really like that Cates is tying everything together.

It seems he has a plan and I'm curious as to how Thor plays into it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Pertaining to the return of Don Blake:

Was the "Donald Blake Construct" saga from the mid 90s Roy Thomas Thor run of any significance?

I gather it was confusing AF, but was the upshot of no consequence?
    I honestly don't understand the deal with Donald Blake anymore.

The original retcon of Blake being an amnesiac depowered Thor was simple enough. I'm not sure why writers keep going back to add layers to something that was simple enough from the beginning.

Fraction's handling was the worst because he left Blake a disembodied head living in a dream world.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Woops, I meant DnAs run on Nova.
    It was #15 I think or round about then. The planet was doomed and being fed to Galactus and Nova was trying to save as many as he could (and ended up fighting the Silver Surfer briefly)
    Is anyone following the Al Ewing GOTG run btw?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

I don't think people have a problem with him being used. They just take issue with the manner in which he is written. Nevertheless, he may not have been used in a prominently villainous role for a long while. He has just has been hovering on the periphery of the MU doing, you guessed it, scheming.

No matter how Thanos is written, it can't descend to the abysmal depths to which Bendis wrote him in Civil War 2.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I honestly don't understand the deal with Donald Blake anymore.

The original retcon of Blake being an amnesiac depowered Thor was simple enough. I'm not sure why writers keep going back to add layers to something that was simple enough from the beginning.

Fraction's handling was the worst because he left Blake a disembodied head living in a dream world.
    I am curious to see how Cates handles that.

It wasn't even needed either. Fraction could have had Thor come back from the Demogorge post-Fear Itself and have Blake relegated back to that limbo space they shared during JMS's run. Playing fast and loose with Blake just seems to get more convoluted the more times it is revisited. I hope Cates can clean it up.

I'm glad Thor was portrayed as powerful as he was, but I HATE how Marvel has been treating Galactus lately. He was a complete joke. I don't care if Thor has the Odin force mixed with the Power Cosmic he shouldn't have humbled a over-charged Cosmic force like Galactus. I miss when Galactus was treated in the same breath as Eternity and Death, that he was the great balance. Now he's the universal punching bag to show how awesome some new version of Oblivion-without-using-Oblivion is. I blame Reed when he restarted the multiverse at the end of Secret Wars. I haven't read many of Cates stories, mainly because I hate Venom, but it seems he really hates Galactus. I first seen that in his Thanos wins story-line. And he loves to use Galactus skull/hamlet as a trophy piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I don't think people have a problem with him being used. They just take issue with the manner in which he is written. Nevertheless, he may not have been used in a prominently villainous role for a long while. He has just has been hovering on the periphery of the MU doing, you guessed it, scheming.

No matter how Thanos is written, it can't descend to the abysmal depths to which Bendis wrote him in Civil War 2.
    Bendis wrote Thanos worse in his final Guardians of the Galaxy issue.

There are good reasons why Bendis Is in my great book of grudges.