Page 172 of 179 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 2680
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If all this sounds high school and cliquish...well that's because it is.
    In fairness, some stars want to protect their brand. And with some actors, IMO, that means they don't take risks.

I mean, when Will Smith was in Suicide Squad, he was the exact same character we saw in all of his action movies. At no time did he ever threaten to alienate the audience's sympathy.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Obviously, execution is another thing, but casting Cate Blanchett did affect presentation, and on-screen treatment of character nonetheless.

You can cast the big obvious star part and it might not work in the end for all sorts of reasons. On paper casting Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze was a slam dunk, in actual practise it didn't work out for the movie or for Arnie all that well.

Gorr the God Butcher in the final film won't probably be 100% the way he came across in the comics. And it might not be what we all expect or hope, but with Christian Bale in the role, there will be substance to the role and character in some form, otherwise Bale would never have agreed to that part.

This isn't like saying Bale is going to approach Gorr like he's going for the Oscars, he'll play the part as written and as per the genre demands, but he will use Gorr as a chance to come across as an all-around cool badass because that's who he is.

Yes, they are using the most respected and talked about run on The Mighty Thor since Walt Simonson, what a shocker, totally never saw it coming.

Thanks to the MCU Thor is bigger than he ever was since the conversion of the last Viking to Christianity.

And compared to the myths, Thor who crossdresses as a woman to get back Sif's hair, whose wife ends up shtupping Loki anyway...the MCU is still more dignified.
    Aaron turned Thor into a mead swaggering buffoon who thinks he's nothing without Mjolnir (and the hammer got destroyed like 6 times in Thor's history). Odin into a alcoholic redneck caricature and Mjolnir itself a fickle jerk who has no respect for Thor.

To say nothing of his many continuity inconsistencies and being spiteful to Thor fans.

And no, Aaron's run has been heavily promoted but it didn't get bigger sales than JMS and Matt Fraction runs.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-13-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Monthly reminder

If this doesn't make you understand why Aaron hasn't done Thor character justice after God Butcher i don't know what will.

It's incredible how much in common Aaron and Bendis have. Starting with their stories working best when you don't remember previous continuity.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Obviously, execution is another thing, but casting Cate Blanchett did affect presentation, and on-screen treatment of character nonetheless.

You can cast the big obvious star part and it might not work in the end for all sorts of reasons. On paper casting Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze was a slam dunk, in actual practise it didn't work out for the movie or for Arnie all that well.

Gorr the God Butcher in the final film won't probably be 100% the way he came across in the comics. And it might not be what we all expect or hope, but with Christian Bale in the role, there will be substance to the role and character in some form, otherwise Bale would never have agreed to that part.

This isn't like saying Bale is going to approach Gorr like he's going for the Oscars, he'll play the part as written and as per the genre demands, but he will use Gorr as a chance to come across as an all-around cool badass because that's who he is.
    I don't know if anyone would have expected Arnold as DCAU Mr. Freeze to be a slam dunk. Maybe if they played him as Mr. Freeze the Terminator.
    Yes, they are using the most respected and talked about run on The Mighty Thor since Walt Simonson, what a shocker, totally never saw it coming.
    And they already screwed up all of Simonson's stuff. Granted I think Aaron's fast and loose Thor with more flippancy towards the mythos will appeal to Waititi more than classic Thor did.
    Thanks to the MCU Thor is bigger than he ever was since the conversion of the last Viking to Christianity.

And compared to the myths, Thor who crossdresses as a woman to get back Sif's hair, whose wife ends up shtupping Loki anyway...the MCU is still more dignified.
    All they had to do is turn him into Hercules and blow up most of his mythos .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Hela was a tad undercooked but it was obvious Blanchett was actually enjoying herself, so that probably helped.
    Cate is the only reason why I liked Hela.

everything else about her was crap.

I don't know if anyone would have expected Arnold as DCAU Mr. Freeze to be a slam dunk. Maybe if they played him as Mr. Freeze the Terminator.

And they already screwed up all of Simonson's stuff. Granted I think Aaron's fast and loose Thor with more flippancy towards the mythos will appeal to Waititi more than classic Thor did.

All they had to do is turn him into Hercules and blow up most of his mythos .
    Pretty much the reason why i don't have much interest in MCU Thor.

I wish Hercuthor was written more like this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Aaron turned Thor into a mead swaggering buffoon who thinks he's nothing without Mjolnir (and the hammer got destroyed like 6 times in Thor's history). Odin into a alcoholic redneck caricature and Mjolnir itself a fickle jerk who has no respect for Thor.

To say nothing of his many continuity inconsistencies and being spiteful to Thor fans.

And no, Aaron's run has been heavily promoted but it didn't get bigger sales than JMS and Matt Fraction runs.
    Here's a song for you

Look if you don't like Aaron's run, the movie might adapt it better than the comic. I loathe Mark Millar's Civil War but I like the movie better. Ditto Logan the movie and Old Man Logan. If you liked the original Gorr the God Butcher story, they cast Christian Bale in that part, i.e. they cast the goddamn Batman as the God Butcher, doesn't get more epic than that. Gorr in the movies is not gonna be like Ecclestone's Malekith. The star of Empire of the Sun, American Psycho, The Fighter, The Machinist, Equilibrium, American Hustle, Ford v. Ferrari in addition to the films he did with Nolan (The Prestige, The Dark Knight Trilogy), is not gonna accept something that's not worth his time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, some stars want to protect their brand. And with some actors, IMO, that means they don't take risks.
    Well it depends on the occassion. Tom Cruise risked big when he became a villain in Collateral for Michael Mann, and allowed Jamie Foxx to kill him on-screen in that movie. For all his flaws, Cruise was generous enough to take a dive to boost up an African-American star or as they say in pro-wrestling put one over. At the same time, the movie Collateral had Cruise's character as a co-lead with equal screentime to Jamie Foxx, was clearly the most interesting character and got all the action scenes and moments to do his own stunts (which tempts Cruise's attenion and ego). And Michael Mann is a very respected director.

So for a special occassion, they might do it. Michael Mann also cast Smith as Ali, and Smith's Ali is a complex figure, not always doing the right thing in that movie.

I mean, when Will Smith was in Suicide Squad, he was the exact same character we saw in all of his action movies. At no time did he ever threaten to alienate the audience's sympathy.
    Well it's a huge problem for the superhero genre that they don't have enough roles for someone like Will Smith short of changing the race...and in the case of Suicide Squad that was a property of such low profile they needed big names and with Smith and Robbie (co-stars from the very awesome crime movie Focus) they had a winning formula. If they had done John Stewart GL the way they did in the DCAU cartoons, Smith could have done that brilliantly since it would have essentially been a redo of Agent Jay from MIB.

Here's a song for you

Look if you don't like Aaron's run, the movie might adapt it better than the comic. I loathe Mark Millar's Civil War but I like the movie better. Ditto Logan the movie and Old Man Logan. If you liked the original Gorr the God Butcher story, they cast Christian Bale in that part, i.e. they cast the goddamn Batman as the God Butcher, doesn't get more epic than that. Gorr in the movies is not gonna be like Ecclestone's Malekith. The star of Empire of the Sun, American Psycho, The Fighter, The Machinist, Equilibrium, American Hustle, Ford v. Ferrari in addition to the films he did with Nolan (The Prestige, The Dark Knight Trilogy), is not gonna accept something that's not worth his time.

Well it depends on the occassion. Tom Cruise risked big when he became a villain in Collateral for Michael Mann, and allowed Jamie Foxx to kill him on-screen in that movie. For all his flaws, Cruise was generous enough to take a dive to boost up an African-American star or as they say in pro-wrestling put one over. At the same time, the movie Collateral had Cruise's character as a co-lead with equal screentime to Jamie Foxx, was clearly the most interesting character and got all the action scenes and moments to do his own stunts (which tempts Cruise's attenion and ego). And Michael Mann is a very respected director.

So for a special occassion, they might do it. Michael Mann also cast Smith as Ali, and Smith's Ali is a complex figure, not always doing the right thing in that movie.

Well it's a huge problem for the superhero genre that they don't have enough roles for someone like Will Smith short of changing the race...and in the case of Suicide Squad that was a property of such low profile they needed big names and with Smith and Robbie (co-stars from the very awesome crime movie Focus) they had a winning formula. If they had done John Stewart GL the way they did in the DCAU cartoons, Smith could have done that brilliantly since it would have essentially been a redo of Agent Jay from MIB.
    I have no fate in any appearance of MCU Thor if they keep writing him as a slapstick buffoon. And you can bet Jane is gonna be smarter and more talented than Thor despite having none of the experience in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Cate is the only reason why I liked Hela.

everything else about her was crap.
    I don't really know how I feel about the whole sister thing. I mean, I care even less about Angela as Thor's sister but I didn't really feel like they did enough with it in the movie to make such a significant change to the canon really mean something.
    To be honest I think Gorr is the least of what people are worried about in the film compared to how they're going to portray Thor and Thor in relation to Jane Foster. Gorr just brings back bad memories of Unworthy Thor.
    They could've always used Bronze Tiger.

I don't think Smith fit John Stewart. Maybe early John, but not modern John as per the DCAU, but who really wasn't like Agent Jay.

I don't really know how I feel about the whole sister thing. I mean, I care even less about Angela as Thor's sister but I didn't really feel like they did enough with it in the movie to make such a significant change to the canon really mean something.

To be honest I think Gorr is the least of what people are worried about in the film compared to how they're going to portray Thor and Thor in relation to Jane Foster. Gorr just brings back bad memories of Unworthy Thor.

I don't think Smith fit John Stewart. Maybe early John, but not modern John as per the DCAU, but who really wasn't like Agent Jay.
    John was awesome in the DCAU but i still like Hal and Kyle better.

Thor already went through his "fat meandering drunkard" arc in Endgame, but with Waititi back at the helm, who knows what will happen. I don't think Jane Thor will be permanent though, just a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Thor already went through his "fat meandering drunkard" arc in Endgame, but with Waititi back at the helm, who knows what will happen. I don't think Jane Thor will be permanent though, just a one time thing.
    Preference-wise I'd prefer it to be a one-and-done thing, but the way they're promoting it makes me think Jane might take over Thor's role in the MCU once she gets the hammer.

the sister thing didn't really feel that big.

Preference-wise I'd prefer it to be a one-and-done thing, but the way they're promoting it makes me think Jane might take over Thor's role in the MCU once she gets the hammer.
    If that happens, Thor will be dead for good in the comics

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    If that happens, Thor will be dead for good in the comics
    You mean like Tony is?