Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Who was the herald next to Nova?

Also, where's Firelord? Was that supposed to be him on the side of Ghost Rider?

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default The collaboration with John Romita Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    What would be a good story line to read from Dan Jurgens' run?
    I read it as stand alone comics, so I am sorry I don't know the titles of the trade paperbacks, I think one of them is simply called Thor vs Thanos. I read another poster here said they didn't like this portrayal of Thanos, but I thought it fit with Jim Starlin's vision of the character. That story collects Thor (1998) #18-25 and Annual 2000.

Anyway, I would read the first 12 issues, it will say something like: Thor(1998) #1-12. There is a Thor Annual 1999 that has a great Dr. Doom story.

I hope you enjoy them.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    All right, I finally got all caught up with Thor and I'll give my thoughts.

First, I want to start with King Thor and especially the last issue, I absolutely loved it, it was epic, good character work and most of all, it had real heart behind it, if I just picked up Godbomb and King Thor, I would absolutely swear that the writer loves Thor and feels great affection for the character, I have nothing but praise to the series and especially the last issue, and that last sentence about what is the spirit of thunder gave me goosebumps and made me shed a tear. Which is exactly the reason why it baffles me that this same writer delivered one of the worst and most disrespectful eras on the same character, like two completely different people, I can only imagine the epicness and absolutely impressive run we'd have gotten if Aaron had never used Jane as a replacement and Odin as a drunken foil. But credit where its due, Aaron left the book on an extremey high note, perhaps one of the highest I've ever read.
    It is because of the Fosthor era that I can't say that the writer "loves the character". If you really look at his run before Jane, especially the "Quest" story, Thor was actually the villain. Check it again. The Godbomb story had some other problems, Ribic can deliver some nice covers, but I still don't think his storytelling chops are up to standard. My evidence for that was the most narrative intensive story required Steve Epting layouts, not Ribic. I don't know, I can't see it the way you do...
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Who was the herald next to Nova?

Also, where's Firelord? Was that supposed to be him on the side of Ghost Rider?
    The one next to Nova is Alpha Ray.

I dunno actually, it doesn't look like any Firelord design i have ever seen it looks more like the Human Torch, although it's definitely not Torch.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 01-03-2020 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    It is because of the Fosthor era that I can't say that the writer "loves the character". If you really look at his run before Jane, especially the "Quest" story, Thor was actually the villain. Check it again. The Godbomb story had some other problems, Ribic can deliver some nice covers, but I still don't think his storytelling chops are up to standard. My evidence for that was the most narrative intensive story required Steve Epting layouts, not Ribic. I don't know, I can't see it the way you do...
    Agree to disagree, I think Esad Ribic is one of the finest artists at the moment and he gives an epic feel to every book he is on.

Also, a little bit off topic but a question I have, there was a page during King Thor #4 when the librarian at omnipotence city told Shadrak (or whatever his name was) to leave the Thor books on the floor, that it's where they belonged, and then we got a shot of the books and they had the names of previous Thor storylines.

Was Aaron throwing shade at those stories and basically saying they are crap, or was that just my interpretation ?

Agree to disagree, I think Esad Ribic is one of the finest artists at the moment and he gives an epic feel to every book he is on.

Also, a little bit off topic but a question I have, there was a page during King Thor #4 when the librarian at omnipotence city told Shadrak (or whatever his name was) to leave the Thor books on the floor, that it's where they belonged, and then we got a shot of the books and they had the names of previous Thor storylines.

Was Aaron throwing shade at those stories and basically saying they are crap, or was that just my interpretation ?
    I took it like that as well.

Ultimate Member

I'm hard pressed to see any other interpretation for a statement like "The floor is just fine for those (the collected stories)."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Maybe the Black Winter is actually Hunger, the fourth wall breaking entity from Thanos first solo series.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Hunger
    This might be a pretty good guess.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

Agree, MCU Thor feels like an Adult Swim parody at times. He acts too much like 616 Hercules and he gets knocked out by tasers too easily. A far cry from the Thor who can easily defeat and intimidate Iron Man.

Yes, I agree.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I enjoyed Thor #1 it was noice LOL.

I just think Thor having Power Cosmic is a bad idea. But whatever.....
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 01-03-2020 at 12:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I took it like that as well.
    Yet another reason Jason Aaron is one of the pettiest writers in the industry, not only does he throw shade at fans who disagree with him, he also lacks any respect for his co-workers, he can only dream of being half as talented as Kurt Busiek and Warren Ellis (whose story arcs were in there), what a disrespect to his co-workers.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 01-05-2020 at 11:03 PM.

To be honest, twice as powerful as Aaron's Jobber Thor isn't that high.
    I'm talking about before all of that garbage. All of Marvel ignored his power levels and his abilities for the last decade. It's almost like they lacked the talent to write powerful characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm hard pressed to see any other interpretation for a statement like "The floor is just fine for those (the collected stories)."
    And yet I took it the same scene in the complete opposite way. That it was the head librarian who was dismissing those runs in the way of a snooty lit critic, but it was the younger fan representing Aaron (and hopefully the audience) in loving then and hopeful for more to come.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    And yet I took it the same scene in the complete opposite way. That it was the head librarian who was dismissing those runs in the way of a snooty lit critic, but it was the younger fan representing Aaron (and hopefully the audience) in loving then and hopeful for more to come.
    He takes issue with any of his books being poorly treated poorly, until he sees the ones on the floor, dismisses them while belittling the younger God and then goes onto recount other Thor stories/interpretations of Aaron's creation.

Lets not pretend as if this were Aaron's first meta bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Yes, I agree.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I enjoyed Thor #1 it was noice LOL.

I just think Thor having Power Cosmic is a bad idea. But whatever.....
    Mmm, yeah. My concern is Thor IS the new all father. I'm under the assumption that means he has inherited the Odin force? On the other hand, old issues of Thor indicate when Thor previously inherited the Odin force, there was a learning curve before learning to use it really effectively.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I'm talking about before all of that garbage. All of Marvel ignored his power levels and his abilities for the last decade. It's almost like they lacked the talent to write powerful characters.
    Do you think it's possible that writers have an aversion toward the character Thor? I've long felt that way about Thor, particularly the way Busiek wrote Thor losing to Superman.

And I mean that with no disrespect to Mr Busiek.

But a flat knock out? Wow.

I feel if that fight had ended more evenly, like some of the old Thor/Hulk fights, we'd all probably be anticipating JLA/Avengers #5 or some such. In fact, isnt how that fight ended the reason Jim Shooter didnt agree to the proposed script originally pitched by DC?
    ----------------------