Page 131 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Definitely not; that run is like a holy relic among Avengers fans it seems.

I was never an Avengers guy back in the day; for me it was the X-Men and FF. Avengers just seemed like a second rate JLA, without any of the top-end A-list characters like Spidey and Logan. I got into the Avengers when Bendis started his run and have been in and out with the title ever since, but I haven't gone back yet to read the classics. Busiek is at the top of my list.
    Earth's Mightiest Heroes made me an Avengers fan. I think Busiek has that vibe in his run.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Earth's Mightiest Heroes made me an Avengers fan. I think Busiek has that vibe in his run.
    EMH is incredible. One of Marvels best Animated series. Love how Thor is represented in it.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Ah, yes back when if you weren't part of the Spider-Man or X-Men books you didn't matter. Now the Avengers are A-list mainstdeam characters for better or worse.
    Yeah the Marvel landscape has changed a lot in the last decade. I think it's great that the Avengers have become a major IP but I resent Marvel for shoving the X-Men into a corner, seemingly for no reason beyond film rights. I haven't even read the X books in years, but I can't stand watching a company de-value their own product. I mean, who the hell says "Let's mess this up intentionally and make less money!" Damned unprofessional and short sighted. I can't decide which is worse; Marvel screwing over the X-Men like they did, or DC screwing over everyone for Batman's benefit.

Now that the X film rights are with Marvel we're finally seeing some proper effort there via Hickman (I gotta check that out sometime) so I guess it's kind of "all's well that ends well" but the Avengers' rise to the top is kind of bittersweet considering Marvel pulled the rug out from under everyone else to make it happen.

Finished EMH with my daughter, and I love that Tony's "big solution" to the Skrull invasion was nothing more than "call Thor, let him deal with it." Damn good showing for the Thunderer. Now we're watching Avengers Assemble and man, I remember why my son and I only made it through a single season or so. That show is cringe-y as hell.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Yeah the Marvel landscape has changed a lot in the last decade. I think it's great that the Avengers have become a major IP but I resent Marvel for shoving the X-Men into a corner, seemingly for no reason beyond film rights. I haven't even read the X books in years, but I can't stand watching a company de-value their own product. I mean, who the hell says "Let's mess this up intentionally and make less money!" Damned unprofessional and short sighted. I can't decide which is worse; Marvel screwing over the X-Men like they did, or DC screwing over everyone for Batman's benefit.
    did they devalue it or is that just how we remember it?
    When Avengers are bringing in hundreds of millions to billions in revenue, prioritizing them makes more sense.
    Look I hate what happened as much as the next X-fan but it makes me wonder.

If Marvel and Fox cooperated better would Marvel have the full rights today?
    To be real, I don't like Fox's rendition of the X-men but they did have good movies.
    I dont like the direction of the MCU, and even tho we will most likely get more faithful X-men films, I don't know how good they'll actually be.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    did they devalue it or is that just how we remember it?
    When Avengers are bringing in hundreds of millions to billions in revenue, prioritizing them makes more sense.
    Look I hate what happened as much as the next X-fan but it makes me wonder.
    I used to argue against the idea that Marvel was screwing the mutants over intentionally. I used to think it was merely a matter of putting their best talent and ideas on their big up and coming Avengers IP's, which makes sense; you invest in the stuff that shows growth potential and the MCU made these guys household names. I'd have pushed the Avengers too.

But the longer it went on, the less it looked like it was just business and the more it started to look like an intentional snub. I can't fathom why anyone would do it; it's not like Fox lost money because X-Men comics got crap creators and low sales. Marvel was only hurting Marvel. But I've learned that just because someone has a high ranking position in a large company, that doesn't mean they make smart business choices. Having recently graduated with a business degree, I've learned that all those lessons about good business are far more fresh in my mind than they are in the minds of the guys at the top of the mountain, and ignoring good business practices to throw shade at a rival happens more often than I realized.

I don't know if the mutants got screwed on purpose. I'm not inside Marvel and there's facets of these industries I know nothing about, business theory that's unique to them, and all that. So I'm not gonna say Marvel did it all intentionally.....but I can't discount the notion like I used to either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Still walking through Simonson's run. Just finished #371 and holy **** things got pretty dark at the end with Zaniac lol.

The frog arc was so absurd, but fun and even badass with that hammer lift.

Also, I dunno if this is controversial but I think I'm liking Sal Buscema's art more than Walt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Still walking through Simonson's run. Just finished #371 and holy **** things got pretty dark at the end with Zaniac lol.
    LOL! I know he isn't popular, but I've always thought Justice Peace had potential:

The frog arc was so absurd, but fun and even badass with that hammer lift.
    To the utmost, I agree. Another "badass" moment would be the confrontation with Loki...

Also, I dunno if this is controversial but I think I'm liking Sal Buscema's art more than Walt's.
    I thought the same thing, as well. But throughout the years, Simonson's Thor has grown on me.
    At least for me, the two have become synonymous that I can't think of one without the other now:

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! I know he isn't popular, but I've always thought Justice Peace had potential:

To the utmost, I agree. Another "badass" moment would be the confrontation with Loki...

I thought the same thing, as well. But throughout the years, Simonson's Thor has grown on me.
    At least for me, the two have become synonymous that I can't think of one without the other now:

Is Justice Peace a parody of another character? I get the feeling he is, but don't know for sure.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Is Justice Peace a parody of another character? I get the feeling he is, but don't know for sure.
    He’s a parody of Judge Dredd.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    He’s a parody of Judge Dredd.
    I was never a fan of 2000 AD comics tbh. Too much edginess and mean spirited characters. Doesn't help that Pat Mills and John Wagner hate superheroes.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

anyone remembers Agent of Asgard written by Ewing where Odin had a machine gun???

geez, that looked so bad and hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    anyone remembers Agent of Asgard written by Ewing where Odin had a machine gun???

if you haven't seen it before ...

Now if you DON'T know that's supposed to be the king of the gods, it looks kinda bad ass, but know that's Odin it just doesn't work. It would be like showing a picture of Superman with a katana trying to look fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

Given how Aaron wrote Thor after God of Thunder, that moment with Odin definitely doesn't look great now, but at the time Agent of Asgard was being published? It was a ridiculous and fun moment. Ewing's Loki series was quite fantastic and this was just one moment of tongue-in-cheek entertainment among many, in a title that wasn't supposed to be very serious. I mean, come on look at that; it's so over the top and ridiculous you know it was absolutely done on purpose.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    if you haven't seen it before ...

Now if you DON'T know that's supposed to be the king of the gods, it looks kinda bad ass, but know that's Odin it just doesn't work. It would be like showing a picture of Superman with a katana trying to look fierce.
    oh Ik.

that's why I asked.
    Given how Aaron wrote Thor after God of Thunder, that moment with Odin definitely doesn't look great now, but at the time Agent of Asgard was being published? It was a ridiculous and fun moment. Ewing's Loki series was quite fantastic and this was just one moment of tongue-in-cheek entertainment among many, in a title that wasn't supposed to be very serious. I mean, come on look at that; it's so over the top and ridiculous you know it was absolutely done on purpose.
    I almost puked when I saw that.

everything writer does is on purpose.

never really liked Ewing doing Asgardians much.
    Last edited by GodThor; 08-07-2020 at 10:07 AM.