Page 63 of 179 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Editorial discipline going by the wayside (as well as essentially tossing out continuity) is what has caused the downward spiral of superhero storytelling, IMO. The cherry on top was Quesada's "Anything goes!" approach to editorial duties.

New writers also have to understand that they're dealing with licensed IP's and not their creator-owned projects. I totally support creative autonomy but there has to be a symbiosis between writer/artist and editorial team to maintain some sort of continuity in the story since a character like Thor has appeared in stories virtually uninterrupted for nearly six decades. It's sort of jarring to read a Thor story by different writers in the last ~20 years as it's clear that there's a different writer in different time periods, whereas 30-40 years ago a creator shift was not as obvious. Walt Simonson was not very fond of Shooter's iron hand editorial style but that didn't stop him from producing one of (if not the) the seminal Thor runs in the characters' history. And in the age where X-Men ruled the roost Thor was consistently a top 4 selling book from the company under Walt.
    Well said. To me, you touch on all the key points that has lead to the devolution of Thor as a character under Aaron. For now, I'm reserving judgment on the new writer.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Spectacular Member

Eilif the Lost, what a cool two issue arc. And the best ending to something I've seen in a while.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Eilif the Lost, what a cool two issue arc. And the best ending to something I've seen in a while.
    The lost? What story was that exactly?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

The old Viking warrior. It was a great story. Walt was really in the zone like nobody's business back then. One of the all-time great Marvel runs, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The old Viking warrior. It was a great story. Walt was really in the zone like nobody's business back then. One of the all-time great Marvel runs, imo.
    It's a pity Walt never used Mangog. I think it would have fit his artstyle.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The lost? What story was that exactly?
    The Viking who tries to decieve Thor into fighting and killing him

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    The Viking who tries to decieve Thor into fighting and killing him
    It's been awhile since i read Walt's run.

So some minor Love & Thunder spoilers here. Nothing major, but....

spoilers:
    It looks like Hemsworth won't be wearing the fat suit. No more fat Thor for us. I know most of you will be happy about that, but I thought it was great.
    end of spoilers
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So some minor Love & Thunder spoilers here. Nothing major, but....

spoilers:
    It looks like Hemsworth won't be wearing the fat suit. No more fat Thor for us. I know most of you will be happy about that, but I thought it was great.
    end of spoilers
    Thank goodness! I was worried enough as is, but that's definitely one aspect I won't be missing .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thank goodness! I was worried enough as is, but that's definitely one aspect I won't be missing .
    But Thor is still gonna be a goofball fratboy and inferior to Jane-Thor in every category.

I'm half expecting Valkyrie telling us that Jane with the hammer has a bigger potential than Thanos with the gems (i'm still calling them gems, you can't stop me) and Ultra Instinct Goku.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-13-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I knew that would make you happy.

Makes me sad though. I suppose if the Endgame beard and hair remain it'll be okay. It was nice to have a Thor who actually looked like a f**king viking instead of a male model.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    But Thor is still gonna be a goofball fratboy and inferior to Jane-Thor in every category.

I'm half expecting Valkyrie telling us that Jane with the hammer has a bigger potential than Thanos with the gems (i'm still calling them gems, you can't stop me) and Ultra Instinct Goku.
    Well, he's gonna be a goofball like he was in Ragnarok, but the Jane stuff? It's not Aaron writing this movie, so I don't know why people are so concerned. It's not like all the other comics that have been adapted followed the print exactly or made the exact same mistakes. Maybe Love & Thunder will roll like that, but I think it's far from a foregone conclusion.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, won't be missing Endgame Thor.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah, won't be missing Endgame Thor.
    I hope Gorr is not the villain. Such an overrated antagonist.

It'd be interesting to see Bale play him though. Not a villain I really want to see, but Bale as Gorr could be cool.

Given the name of the movie I'm assuming we'll get Loreli, maybe Enchantress, as the main villain. Bale...I'm guessing he'll play....crap, the Roxxon CEO who turns into a minotaur....I forget his name. We need some reason for Thor to return to earth and get Jane involved in things, and that guy would serve the role well enough.

Anyway, not to dredge up the old discussions, but I'm not terribly worried about Thor 4. Most of the flaws of Aaron's run are non-issues here; Odin and Frigga are dead, Asgard is gone, Thor has Stormbreaker and no reason to whine about Mjlonir, so and so forth. We already had the MCU version of Unworthy with Endgame, so I figure the odds of that getting repeated here are slim.

Without doubt the flaws in Ragnarok will be present in Love & Thunder. It'll likely be too joke-y and ruin a lot of moments that should be far more emotional and dramatic, Thor will be a lovable idiot instead of a badass viking god king, and so on.

But the problems we had with Aaron....well, Aaron isn't writing this movie. It'll be very loosely based on his run, but like, very, very, very loosely based. If Takitti (spelling?) makes the same mistakes, that'll be on him. The MCU has never been overly loyal to the source material they adapt, so if Thor 4 drops the ball, that's on them, not Aaron.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-14-2020 at 10:27 AM.

~ Black Panther.

I would like to see Mangog or the Wrecker in the MCU.

I don't care much for this Ragnarok 2.0 or Hercuthor.