Page 1 of 179 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Thor Odinson: God of Thunder Appreciation 2020

let's hope for our boy Thor to return to greatness!!!

Last edited by GodThor; 12-31-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

The Previous Thor Appreciation thread was closed but had two things I wanted to comment on.

1. Gerry Conway's run on Thor was indeed impressive. I had read his run on FF and was very disappointed, but I was pleasently surprised by his run on Thor. He played up the fantasy level in a different way than Lee/Kirby, but was still consistent with their vision. Conway even gave Thor a "Conan" feel, I am referring to the "Kartag" story line circa issues 194 or so. Conway also brought back the Absorbing Man to the book. Which brings up the other thing I want to comment on:

2. Top Ten Thor villains

1. Loki
    2. Thanos (Hickman wrote an epic fight between the two in Infinity, but even before that Jurgans and Romita had Thor face him....I can't comment on Blood and Thunder yet cause I haven't read it yet.)
    3. Man Gog
    4. Ultron (reference the Busiek/Perez Avengers)
    5. The Absorbing Man
    6. The Wrecker
    7. Doctor Dooms Destroyer (Gage I think, post JMS Thor)
    8. Hela, if you count her as a villain
    9. Ego Prime

I am going to leave 10 blank because I need to think about it some more, plus, I still have more reading to do.

And it looks like that's Thor's normal hand in the previews art, so lets hope the one arm thing goes away.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

BANNED

So Thor will fight Captain Glory in Empyre from what i heard? Well hopefully that fight ends as soon as it starts... personally dunno if Ronan is still around but i would like to see a fight between him and Thor more so.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    The Previous Thor Appreciation thread was closed but had two things I wanted to comment on.

1. Gerry Conway's run on Thor was indeed impressive. I had read his run on FF and was very disappointed, but I was pleasently surprised by his run on Thor. He played up the fantasy level in a different way than Lee/Kirby, but was still consistent with their vision. Conway even gave Thor a "Conan" feel, I am referring to the "Kartag" story line circa issues 194 or so. Conway also brought back the Absorbing Man to the book. Which brings up the other thing I want to comment on:

2. Top Ten Thor villains

1. Loki
    2. Thanos (Hickman wrote an epic fight between the two in Infinity, but even before that Jurgans and Romita had Thor face him....I can't comment on Blood and Thunder yet cause I haven't read it yet.)
    3. Man Gog
    4. Ultron (reference the Busiek/Perez Avengers)
    5. The Absorbing Man
    6. The Wrecker
    7. Doctor Dooms Destroyer (Gage I think, post JMS Thor)
    8. Hela, if you count her as a villain
    9. Ego Prime

I am going to leave 10 blank because I need to think about it some more, plus, I still have more reading to do.

And it looks like that's Thor's normal hand in the previews art, so lets hope the one arm thing goes away.
    That wasn't the real Thanos but one of his Thanosi clones. The Thanosi were introduced by Jim Starlin in Infinity Abyss (2002) in order to retcon the appearances of Thanos in Ka-Zar Vol 4, Thor Vol 2, X-Man Annual #1998 and Avengers: Celestial Quest, as those stories didn't follow Thanos' character development at the end of the Infinity Gauntlet (Mark Waid, Dan Jurgens and Steve Englehart ignored that Thanos forsook nihilism at the end of Infinity Gauntlet #6 and helped Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe on more than one occasion). Thanos realized that the most disturbing flaw to his clones was there intellectual deficiency, which usually ended with them settling for the most destructive answer to any problem. Sometimes there are characters that need a definitive ending with no more appearances. like manga characters, and Starlin's Thanos is one of them.

I'm also not a fan of Hickman's Thanos. Hickman, Lemire and Cates take on the character has for the most part, rung particularly shallow as far a I'm concerned with Thanos being protrayed as a barbaric cosmic potentate and more or less reliant on brute force to get his points across as opposed to using his cunning and scientific resources, and we know that the brutish, rampaging villain is Mangog and Juggernaut's shtick, not Thanos. And Bendis use of him as a saturday morning cartoon villain with guns who can be punched by anyone, including Street level vigilantes, was pretty infuriating. The less said about Jason Aaron's regrettable goth-tinged Thanos Rising story the better.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-01-2020 at 03:55 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    So Thor will fight Captain Glory in Empyre from what i heard? Well hopefully that fight ends as soon as it starts... personally dunno if Ronan is still around but i would like to see a fight between him and Thor more so.
    Ronan was mercy killed by Black Bolt in Death of the Inhumans after a rogue legion of Kree soldiers led by Vox turned him into a agonizing cyborg. Also i have no idea how would you make Ronan fight Thor since he hasn't being a villain since Annihilation.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I appreciate the long hair. Very nordic! Plus I was sick of the Hemsworth look. Now...someone tell me he ditched the ridiculous Destroyer arm that Aaron has him in!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Ronan was mercy killed by Black Bolt in Death of the Inhumans after a rogue legion of Kree soldiers led by Vox turned him into a agonizing cyborg. Also i have no idea how would you make Ronan fight Thor since he hasn't being a villain since Annihilation.
    That sucks, probably should have brought him back in time for Empyre. I mean that really wouldn't be hard, we have hero fighting heroes all the time and from what we can tell this whole Empyre stuff can make up any excuse it wants to pit them against one another, pretty much all of the Kree and Skrulls are seemingly ok with attacking Earth from what we saw at the end of Incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That sucks, probably should have brought him back in time for Empyre. I mean that really wouldn't be hard, we have hero fighting heroes all the time and from what we can tell this whole Empyre stuff can make up any excuse it wants to pit them against one another, pretty much all of the Kree and Skrulls are seemingly ok with attacking Earth from what we saw at the end of Incoming.
    But why would Hulkling help the Kree/Skrull alliance invade Earth?

BANNED

But why would Hulkling help the Kree/Skrull alliance invade Earth?
    I have no idea, they have yet to reveal the reason behind it, we just know that he is leading them to attack Earth at the moment and the Avengers and F4 will be resisting them.

Ultimate Member

Well, Ronan may not be a cliche villain, but he's not exactly a hero

He'll be back, and you can just have him and Thor clashing over a fugitive

SO pumped for the new series!!!! Glad my shop is open today.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    SO pumped for the new series!!!! Glad my shop is open today.
    I think the new issue is going to go over very well with fans.

Hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Well, Ronan may not be a cliche villain, but he's not exactly a hero

He'll be back, and you can just have him and Thor clashing over a fugitive
    616 Ronan struck me as a Lawful Neutral enforcer, like Judge Dredd, who puts his homeworld at the top of his priorities, so it's easy to see him clashing with a Earth hero over a misunderstanding.

Although i don't think Ronan is powerful enough to be a threat to Thor in a duel. Unless he has some backup and a plan.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-01-2020 at 06:50 AM.

BANNED

So we finally find out the reason behind Thors new look. Not entirely sure how to feel about it. Wont spoil it until others have read it

spoilers:
    so heavily weakened Galactus can regrow Thor's arm but Odin and Thor with full Odinforce can't????
    end of spoilers