Page 84 of 179 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    You have to stop saying that man, I doubt any writer feels hate for a fictional character, some writers just don't get him, but not all.
    Probably.

I cant help but feel some writers have developed certain reservations about the character, if for no other reason they believe their perspective on the character is spot on while Thors "ravenous/idiotic" (I'm speculating as to how Aaron or Busiek views some Thor fans) fanbase are completely clueless.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Probably.

I cant help but feel some writers have developed certain reservations about the character, if for no other reason they believe their perspective on the character is spot on while Thors "ravenous/idiotic" (I'm speculating as to how Aaron or Busiek views some Thor fans) fanbase are completely clueless.
    I don't know why you mention Kurt Busiek alongside Aaron, it's an insult to Busiek who actually understood the character and wrote him pretty well. I've never seen him disrespect or talk down to any fans, something Jason Aaron constantly did and even used his books to take petty jabs, address and mock the Thor fanbase for complaining about his lackluster work, and what still baffles me the most to this day is that he even lacks respect for his co-workers and previous Thor writers, as showcased in his King Thor book in the panel where we see a whole library with books titled after some famous Thor stories and the librarian saying they are trash and belong on the floor, and that we only need to loook forward.

Basically dismissing previous work done on the character, disrespecting the work from creators and pretending his take is the only correct and the one that should be followed from now on, and people wonder why Aaron gets so much hate from fans.

I don't know why you mention Kurt Busiek alongside Aaron, it's an insult to Busiek who actually understood the character and wrote him pretty well. I've never seen him disrespect or talk down to any fans,
    He was pretty rude to me a few pages back when I brought up the bullet invulnerability thing. Just because I disagree with his perspective on Thors level of invulnerability doesn't mean it cant be discussed civilly. He was rude, dismissive and condescending. In essence, he insists his perspective on the matter is the only correct one.

something Jason Aaron constantly did and even used his books to take petty jabs, address and mock the Thor fanbase for complaining about his lackluster work, and what still baffles me the most to this day is that he even lacks respect for his co-workers and previous Thor writers, as showcased in his King Thor book in the panel where we see a whole library with books titled after some famous Thor stories and the librarian saying they are trash and belong on the floor, and that we only need to loook forward.
    No argument from me. I dont care for his writing or his attitude. Fans complain. It's part of the job. Professionalism has gone by the wayside with comic creators it seems.

Basically dismissing previous work done on the character, disrespecting the work from creators and pretending his take is the only correct and the one that should be followed from now on, and people wonder why Aaron gets so much hate from fans.
    Preaching to the choir my Thor brother. Not sure what fans can do other than grin and bear it. Or do like me and stop reading trash that the guy churns out.

*shrugs*
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

He was pretty rude to me a few pages back when I brought up the bullet invulnerability thing. Just because I disagree with his perspective on Thors level of invulnerability doesn't mean it cant be discussed civilly. He was rude, dismissive and condescending. In essence, he insists his perspective on the matter is the only correct one.
    I read that and I don't think he was rude to you at any moment, you may have felt that way due to the disagreement but he was never rude or condescending, at least I didn't see it that way, it was merely a disagreement.

Agreed on Aaron though.

If anyone wants to see the supposedly rude message, it's #1088. Judge for yourself whether I insisted that my perspective on the matter is the only correct one.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4944732

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 05-10-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

All-New Member

No argument from me. I dont care for his writing or his attitude. Fans complain. It's part of the job. Professionalism has gone by the wayside with comic creators it seems.

Preaching to the choir my Thor brother. Not sure what fans can do other than grin and bear it. Or do like me and stop reading trash that the guy churns out.

*shrugs*
    To be honest I don’t see how he was being rude, nor did Kurt Busiek insist that his take on Thor was the only correct one.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Only on this board would one think to know more than a writer who actually wrote Thor

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Only on this board would one think to know more than a writer who actually wrote Thor
    Well, not really. Most internet boards dealing with long-running fiction see fans criticise the current writer, his/her choices, and question their knowledge or understanding of the character/mythology. It's pretty standard when the writer didn't create the character(s)/word. Now, when posters argue what a writer meant by a piece of his writing against what he says he meant, that's something else again. The Death of the Author stuff used to justify fan-theories/interpretations is just really annoying, imo.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

A writer who turned Thor and Odin into drunken rednecks with none of their classic powers, turning Mjolnir into a fickle entity, mocking fans at every turn and implied that his run is the only good Thor run while the previous ones are trash with that final scene at the library.

I know you care more about Jane than Thor and his continuity but, as others have said before, this is a thread about the OG Thor Odinson and his lore/continuity and claiming that Aaron was flawless Is going to be met with opposition.

Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 05-11-2020 at 04:10 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    A writer who turned Thor and Odin into drunken rednecks with none of their classic powers, turning Mjolnir into a fickle entity, mocking fans at every turn and implied that his run is the only good Thor run while the previous ones are trash with that final scene at the library.

I know you care more about Jane than Thor and his continuity but, as others have said before, this is a thread about the OG Thor Odinson and his lore/continuity and claiming that Aaron was flawless Is going to be met with opposition.
    You do realize that you're proving my point by literally putting words into creator's mouths.

Let's try to avoid getting the boards reset again
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-11-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Ultimate Member

You do realize that you're proving my point by literally putting words into creator's mouths.

Let's try to avoid getting the boards reset again
    That's true, but not by much. The problem is that it is a fair interpretation of Aaron's scene in the library, which added nothing to the plot itself and fits with Aaron's long history of bashing critics in his stories

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's true, but not by much. The problem is that it is a fair interpretation of Aaron's scene in the library, which added nothing to the plot itself and fits with Aaron's long history of bashing critics in his stories
    That Ulik/She-Hulk scene...ugh.

So you're saying writers never get it wrong?
    ----------------------

I read that and I don't think he was rude to you at any moment, you may have felt that way due to the disagreement but he was never rude or condescending, at least I didn't see it that way, it was merely a disagreement.
    Sure, I know tone can be hard to interpret sometimes, but the, "some people have Superman envy..."...really? Eh, I bear no ill will toward Mr Busiek, but I can see why he might get irritated at fans for regurgitating subjects he addressed on other forums years ago. I know writers and editors both HATE these topics...which is why i avoid tagging him, or other writers for that matter, on topics of this nature.

Agreed on Aaron though.
    I wonder if Aaron reads these forums too...
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-11-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    If anyone wants to see the supposedly rude message, it's #1088. Judge for yourself whether I insisted that my perspective on the matter is the only correct one.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4944732

kdb
    It appears I conflated an online interview I read of yours from a number of years ago with recent comments on this thread.

Nevertheless, with all due respect, I was referring to your comment to another poster here at post 1076....

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4944563

I understand you were responding to another poster, but took your comments to mean "in general", as in directed to "angry Thor fans with Superman envy" (I'm paraphrasing).

Stan Lee in his book Origins of Marvel Comics referred a few times in fact to Superman when providing narrative insight into the creation of several early characters. Including Thor. I don't think Stan had Superman envy anymore than other Thor fans do, but I suppose these comparisons are inevitable when comparing Marvel and DC's heavyweights. I suppose in fact, you chose Thor as an opponent for Superman in JLA/Avengers crossover because you felt Thor and Superman were comparable in some way? I certainly don't know. I suppose only you would know.

So there's no misunderstanding, no disrespect is intended toward you from me. In fact, I enjoyed your run on Avengers as I'm sure many here will agree, your interpretation of Thor was pretty well done in those books. I also appreciate you took the time to research Thor as thoroughly as you did.

With respect, it's your interpretation on Thor's "bullet immunity" (or lack thereof...?) that I disagree with. Has nothing to do with you as a writer or a person. Other writers have interpreted Thor's durability in another way. I prefer those interpretations as it seems more consistent with other general portrayals of Thor's durability over the years.

Avengers 5.2 - NOTHING can harm Thor.jpg

I wish you continued success.
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    ----------------------