Page 61 of 179 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I just remembered this Stan Lee interview.

Ah, wonderful stuff. Thank you for that much needed shot in the arm, a reminder of of the basic premise of Thor.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Sadly Jane Thor came in and almost beat Hercules on an arm-wrestle, who proceeded to comment she did better than Odinson ever did IIRC..................bullshit
    Yup. Jane = Mary Sue.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    The Slowdinson thing wasn't born out of nowhere. Like i am a fan of guys like Thor and Hulk way more than someone like Superman but i can tell you for a fact neither are remotely as fast as Superman.
    No arguments here. Superman is definitely faster, by leagues. But Thor as he was originally presented, was originally written in a manner that supports the notion of super speed. There were actually feats from way back when that suggest Thor had super speed, although not on the level of Superman. Sadly, those types of feats for Thor have gone the way of the dinosaur.

A few years ago there were some Thor fans on another site that would legit argue that Thor is as fast if not faster than Superman, this pissed off the rest of the forums so people started collecting all the scenes where Thor gets trounced in speed by everyone from other powerhouses to random monsters to bricks to even street tier characters and believe me there were a ton of feats like that, so the Slowdinson meme was born, it didn't come out of nowhere it was brought upon by overly enthusiastic Thor fans, let's put it that way.
    Yeah, buuttt....you'll find that even characters like Superman have lots of instances where they "forget" to use their super speed, when clearly that is part of their power set. Superman has been tagged by slow bricks like Titus, Mongul and Darkseid routinely. That alone, at least for me, doesn't somehow invalidate the fact that Superman has super speed.

With that said i would like to see Thor get an amp maybe in speed, maybe in some other way that's PERMANENT, this crap of him getting the Odin Force or power cosmic literally cheapens every accomplishment he has for me, i hate outside amps that last a few issues.
    For sure. Thor, a god of thunder and lightning, should have a measure of speed beyond peak human. I'm guessing the Odin force will be Thor's to keep as long as Odin stays dead?

Which is why i am not too pleased with current cosmic Thor(although in retrospect i do understand given the threat they are facing), but maybe instead of giving him all this, Cates could have presented a way for Thor to lets say access "lightning mode" where he encases his whole body in lightning and he quite literally becomes lightning fast in reflexes and combat in general.

Attachment 95310
    This could be interesting.

That way he doesn't have access to this kind of speed 100% of the time which is why you can still have him brawl it out with bricks or slower characters like that but when he fights Surfer or some other herald or speedsters you can have him access this mode and legit keep up with them.
    Eh, I wouldn't mind a more permanent solution to his speed, but that's just me.

It's strange to me that it's a theme for Superman to get a completely new power every decade or so(last one was solar flare), for Hulk to get an amp that permanently boosted his strength and now has immortality(which is confirmed to be permanent part of him since the very beginning, he got the ability to absorb gamma from others, his regeneration is boosted, he can smell lies, etc...) but Thor has only regressed in terms of abilities since his classic days. It's time for a writer to step up the plate, he is a god he has as much if not more excuse to showcase new abilities over other powerhouses.
    Agreed completely. Eh, I've said it before: Superman = respect from DC writer's. Thor = butt load of disrespect from most writers.
    ----------------------

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    No arguments here. Superman is definitely faster, by leagues. But Thor as he was originally presented, was originally written in a manner that supports the notion of super speed. There were actually feats from way back when that suggest Thor had super speed, although not on the level of Superman. Sadly, those types of feats for Thor have gone the way of the dinosaur.
    Yea i remember that stuff, in early days it was promoted that Thor could move faster than the naked eye could even see, but like with many, MANY other powers Thor used to have in classic days stuff like that got forgotten in more modern times.

Yeah, buuttt....you'll find that even characters like Superman have lots of instances where they "forget" to use their super speed, when clearly that is part of their power set. Superman has been tagged by slow bricks like Titus, Mongul and Darkseid routinely. That alone, at least for me, doesn't somehow invalidate the fact that Superman has super speed.
    Oh absolutely it's one of the things Supermans fanbase likes to ignore, i actually like the recent explanation of it in current Superman run which is that it takes effort and concentration for Superman to speed himself up to those speeds and it's not something he can just do willy nilly or as some others believe it's not something he is limiting/holding himself back with, since there are people who think Superman needs to actually slow himself down consciously to the levels of others, when it's the other way around.

For sure. Thor, a god of thunder and lightning, should have a measure of speed beyond peak human. I'm guessing the Odin force will be Thor's to keep as long as Odin stays dead?
    Odin is currently alive, he just gave the title of All Father to Thor now and Cates confirmed in an interview that he gave him the Odin Force too.

Agreed completely. Eh, I've said it before: Superman = respect from DC writer's. Thor = butt load of disrespect from most writers.
    Eh it's not that simple, both characters get their respect and disrespect, a lot of Marvel fans don't read Superman stuff but i can tell you Superman has had it very, VERY rough since Rebirth started he has had embarrassing stuff like getting run over by a steamroller, struggling to stop an elephant, getting beat up by dinosaurs, getting KO'd by Batman whistling in his ears, getting beat up by Enchantress using H2H, getting almost killed by Killer Frost, getting knocked out by Supergirl slamming him into a bridge, unable to stop a turtle the size of a car from falling from the sky, struggling to lift the JL space station together with Diana and many, many other things that are just downright embarrassing to his character. Just how there has been a Slowdinson meme in the past, for a good year or two since Rebirth started there was also a meme of Mid-tier Superman going around because of stuff like this. While Thors biggest problem was Jason Aaron in recent times, Supermans biggest problem is that he appears in like 5-6 books each month all written by different people that treat him differently and have different views about his power levels, this in turn gives the character a ton of inconsistency and even downright bad and lazy writing.

Spectacular Member

Honestly though? Yeah, Thor even with the Odin force (his most formidable power), should not come close to Galactus. Now there's another casualty of the Marvel universe. Used to be, Galactus was truly the OG. Not so much anymore.
    The Odin Force is a major casualty of the Marvel Universe. Galactus was once below Odin in power. Then he was made into a "cosmic" being and elevated above pretty much everyone. They others were elevated above him. The issue is not the characters; it's the endless power-escalation of the MU over the past few decades. What Marvel really needs is a major power DE-escalation and enough solid editors to keep the writers in line. Just my thoughts though.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    The Odin Force is a major casualty of the Marvel Universe. Galactus was once below Odin in power. Then he was made into a "cosmic" being and elevated above pretty much everyone. They others were elevated above him. The issue is not the characters; it's the endless power-escalation of the MU over the past few decades. What Marvel really needs is a major power DE-escalation and enough solid editors to keep the writers in line. Just my thoughts though.
    The era of serious editors like Jim Shooter and Tom Defalco Is long gone sadly.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    can you tell me the issue where odin>galactus?

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

This could be interesting.

Eh, I wouldn't mind a more permanent solution to his speed, but that's just me.

Modern Marvel writers don't care about Thor and cosmic characters in general (Al Ewing being the exception) and are mostly concerned with getting a deal with Hollywood/Netflix. I don't think we will ever see the God of Thunder written in a ''classic'' way ever again.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #175 Apr 1970
    "The Fall of Asgard!"
    When a series of truck hijackings have been hitting the city,
    the police employ the help of Thor to round up the thieves by setting a trap for them,

which with the aid of the Thunder God lands an easy capture.

While in the land of the Norns, Balder and the Warriors Three
    have recovered from their injuries and pay their leave to Karnilla.
    Balder and Karnilla have another exchange about how Balder cannot
    give up his loyalty to Asgard and love Karnilla, and the quartet depart.
    Haag taunts Karnilla over her softness toward Balder and is chased out of the room.

Enrout back to Asgard, Balder and the others pause when they spot Mountain Giants,
    in the employ of Loki who are heading to attack Asgard. Spotting Loki's involvement,
    Balder and the Warriors Three decide it's best to contact Thor as soon as possible.

Thor meanwhile has returned to the office he owns as Donald Blake.
    However before he can change back to his mortal guise, Thor spots Sif on a nearby roof top and joins her.
    Sif tells Thor that Odin has once more entered the Odinsleep and that Loki is about to amass an attack on Asgard.

Thor transports himself and Sif back to Asgard, where Thor sends Sif to guard Odin

while he joins the other Asgardian warriors in defending the realm.

As Thor is preoccupied, Loki manages to infiltrate the palace and fight his way into Odin's sleeping chambers.
    When Sif and the warriors at guard inside attempt to stop Loki,
    Loki uses his royal heritage to order the warriors to stop fighting him and subdue Sif.

As the battle rages on, Thor and the Warriors Three do their part in fighting off the Mountain Giants.
    However, as the battle reaches an end there is a sudden blare of trumpets signaling a call to end the battle.
    To everyone's surprise, Loki, now garbed in regal attire decrees that he is now in charge of all of Asgard,
    showing that he has removed the Imperial Ring of Asgard from Odin's hand and now wears it upon his finger.

When Thor attempts to rally the people of Asgard to overthrow Loki, they cannot bring themselves
    to disobey Asgardian law that dictates that whomsoever wears the Imperial Ring rules the land.
    Thor himself decides to take on Loki on his own but is forced to back down
    and claim loyalty to Loki as the Trickster God has Sif as his prisoner.

Finally at victory, Loki decrees that he will spread evil across the land.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Bill Everett

I really enjoyed Tom Defalco's run before Eric became Thor.
    Me too. The only difference is that I enjoyed the entirety of the DeFalco/Frenz run, until they left Thor for Eric's Thunderstrike.

Today Taika Waiki Instagram Live Conceptual art Oficial Thor 4 New Asgard

Too Hulk Return in Thor 4 Taika Today

BANNED

All of a sudden Thor 4 is transformers.

Also Hulk is not in Thor 4, that we already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yea i remember that stuff, in early days it was promoted that Thor could move faster than the naked eye could even see, but like with many, MANY other powers Thor used to have in classic days stuff like that got forgotten in more modern times.
    It's unfortunate.

Oh absolutely it's one of the things Supermans fanbase likes to ignore, i actually like the recent explanation of it in current Superman run which is that it takes effort and concentration for Superman to speed himself up to those speeds and it's not something he can just do willy nilly or as some others believe it's not something he is limiting/holding himself back with, since there are people who think Superman needs to actually slow himself down consciously to the levels of others, when it's the other way around.
    It's one explanation they likely could've done without since an explanation for Clark's non-use of his complete power set already appears in post-crisis continuity. But this newer explanation certainly doesn't hurt.

Odin is currently alive, he just gave the title of All Father to Thor now and Cates confirmed in an interview that he gave him the Odin Force too.

Eh it's not that simple, both characters get their respect and disrespect, a lot of Marvel fans don't read Superman stuff but i can tell you Superman has had it very, VERY rough since Rebirth started he has had embarrassing stuff like getting run over by a steamroller, struggling to stop an elephant, getting beat up by dinosaurs, getting KO'd by Batman whistling in his ears, getting beat up by Enchantress using H2H, getting almost killed by Killer Frost, getting knocked out by Supergirl slamming him into a bridge, unable to stop a turtle the size of a car from falling from the sky, struggling to lift the JL space station together with Diana and many, many other things that are just downright embarrassing to his character.

Heck, that's not even consistent with a lot of his post-crisis stuff. Yeah, I hear you. That kind of stuff drives me bonkers.

Just how there has been a Slowdinson meme in the past, for a good year or two since Rebirth started there was also a meme of Mid-tier Superman going around because of stuff like this. While Thors biggest problem was Jason Aaron in recent times, Supermans biggest problem is that he appears in like 5-6 books each month all written by different people that treat him differently and have different views about his power levels, this in turn gives the character a ton of inconsistency and even downright bad and lazy writing.
    Yeah, irritating to say the least.
    ----------------------

Modern Marvel writers don't care about Thor and cosmic characters in general (Al Ewing being the exception) and are mostly concerned with getting a deal with Hollywood/Netflix. I don't think we will ever see the God of Thunder written in a ''classic'' way ever again.
    A sad truth.

What are your thoughts on creating a thread called, "Writer's Fact Check Sheet: Thor", and having posters contribute knowledge and information revolving around, among other things, Thor's power set? I mean, some folks spend countless hours creating mods for video games. For FREE. Just because they love the game so much. Some of these mods greatly improve the game, depending on what you play.

Writers could have a free resource on the world's greatest comic book web site and browse these "fact check threads" in complete anonymity and write characters that are are more...consistent. Really, it would be similar to a "respect thread", but designed for writers. I mean, it could be divided in multiple ways...personality, powers, network of friends, enemies and their power sets, etc...

There are some pretty knowledgeable posters on CBR that could really make this a cool thread.
    ----------------------