Page 31 of 179 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Can Thor magically extend Mjolnir's handle now? There's been occasional debate on whether it should look like a "real" war-hammer or if the original length is fine in all situations.

It's supposed to be a little short, as it is a flaw mentioned in the original legends (it was due to Loki interfering with the hammer's creation).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Preview for Thor #3

Interesting...

spoilers:
    so Thor once fought an army for two straight years without eating or sleeping, and it was such a non-event for him that he's forgotten it by the present day. IIRC this take on Thor's memory has been used before, where Thor has lived for so long and done so much that he's forgotten more than most will ever know.

Also it's nice to see the classic Kirby costume again.
    end of spoilers
    Sorry to rain on Gwen Stacy's parade .

Poor Thor and Bill .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well the 3rd issue has me intrigued, I'll pick it up.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Can Thor magically extend Mjolnir's handle now? There's been occasional debate on whether it should look like a "real" war-hammer or if the original length is fine in all situations.
    I'm just glad Cates and Klein got rid of that shitty wooden, Groot-style handle Aaron stuck on Mjolnir.

BANNED

Dude, complaining about those aliens apparently having wooden spears is nitpicking on a whole other level, we just got an incredible endurance/stamina feat and you're mad because the aliens are not packing 10 feet weapons or technology ? Come on, I never even noticed that until you mentioned it, and I'm sure 99% of people who will read the comic will be like "damn, two years of constant war, that's awesome".

You're also forgetting that Thor is a viking and his whole theme revolves around that, it's odd for you to want to see him face some dudes carrying spaceships and laser cannons and whatnot, especially if it's a tale of old that is obviously trying to mimick gruesome viking wars.

Two things:

First, Thor is an 'alien' using a weapon that looks like a stone hammer.

Second, nothing in the text says that is an alien planet full of ordinary people. The text simple calls it 'battle lands'. Given the nature of what he is shown fighting, it looks more like an infernal realm full of demonic creatures. It would not only explain how their weapons could pierce his flesh; but they may be damn near impossible to kill, which would also explain why he fought thousands of them for two years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Two things:

First, Thor is an 'alien' using a weapon that looks like a stone hammer.

Second, nothing in the text says that is an alien planet full of ordinary people. The text simple calls it 'battle lands'. Given the nature of what he is shown fighting, it looks more like an infernal realm full of demonic creatures. It would not only explain how their weapons could pierce his flesh; but they may be damn near impossible to kill, which would also explain why he fought thousands of them for two years.
    Have we forgotten the plot already?

Big G isn't eating any regular old planets. He's feasting on planets that Silver Surfer hid from him, for fear of Galactus growing too powerful.

So I doubt those were just regular aliens

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Dude, complaining about those aliens apparently having wooden spears is nitpicking on a whole other level, we just got an incredible endurance/stamina feat and you're mad because the aliens are not packing 10 feet weapons or technology ? Come on, I never even noticed that until you mentioned it, and I'm sure 99% of people who will read the comic will be like "damn, two years of constant war, that's awesome".

You're also forgetting that Thor is a viking and his whole theme revolves around that, it's odd for you to want to see him face some dudes carrying spaceships and laser cannons and whatnot, especially if it's a tale of old that is obviously trying to mimick gruesome viking wars.
    Yep 2 years of fighting non-stop was cool, would be even cooler if he didn't already did the same thing for 9 months. And yes 2 years > 9 months but i am not that blown away, by it, would have been cooler if it lasted a decade or a hundred years. And i wouldn't complain about the spears and swords so much if people around other forums weren't already making memes out of it, first the rock now this...

There is nothing wrong with Thor fighting viking dudes, provided that those viking dudes are well equipped to fight him. As in have weaponry capable of actually hurting a god, otherwise this all just reminded me of the time Hulk was hurt by swords and spears back on Planet Hulk but at least there the writers had the sense to explain that he was weakened from going through a black hole and that those aliens posses Shadowforge weapons which are about as powerful as adamantium.

The one interesting tidbit about that narration was how being a god was portrayed as far as aging and memory are concerned. It gives some reverence to the mythological aspect of Thor (and gods in general). Two years is nothing for Thor, as he's been around for a few thousand thus far. A simple two-page splash with narration conveys quite a bit of depth to the titular character. It's a nice subtlety that many creators lack.

As far as the MCU is concerned, like others mentioned I'm a bit tired of it. I wish it had ended with Endgame (a film I didn't like). It's the one advantage the films have, being able to tell a story from beginning to end, instead of over-saturating the universe. For Thor specifically, I did not like the direction they took the character in after Ragnarok was released. Not a fan of slapstick fratboy Thor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yep 2 years of fighting non-stop was cool, would be even cooler if he didn't already did the same thing for 9 months. And yes 2 years > 9 months but i am not that blown away, by it, would have been cooler if it lasted a decade or a hundred years. And i wouldn't complain about the spears and swords so much if people around other forums weren't already making memes out of it, first the rock now this...

There is nothing wrong with Thor fighting viking dudes, provided that those viking dudes are well equipped to fight him. As in have weaponry capable of actually hurting a god, otherwise this all just reminded me of the time Hulk was hurt by swords and spears back on Planet Hulk but at least there the writers had the sense to explain that he was weakened from going through a black hole and that those aliens posses Shadowforge weapons which are about as powerful as adamantium.
    I get the rock complaint and the memes behind it, but I doubt people are making memes of Thor's 2 year battle because he was pierced by weapons we don't even know what they are, if anything, you should ignore and feel sorry for those people making the memes because they feel so threatened by Thor's power and popularity and that he is more notorious than their favorite character that they jump at the slightest chance to undersell him.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    The films did little to nothing to boost the comic book sales, sure some lesser known characters are now more widely known but at the same time cinema is getting over saturated with comic book movies that are all so formulaic they might have rolled off an assembly line.

I think i would be happy if they throttled back the number of comic book movies and series that come out each year.
    Superhero comics have been dying since the speculator boom of the nineties and videogames becoming more mainstream, as i mentioned in my rant on editors a few pages ago. And there's nothing we can do about it.

I'm also not a fan of the MCU version of the Thor mythos, especially since Ragnarok and how they essentially made a comedy version of Planet Hulk. And i am not a fan of MCU Ronan.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    The one interesting tidbit about that narration was how being a god was portrayed as far as aging and memory are concerned. It gives some reverence to the mythological aspect of Thor (and gods in general). Two years is nothing for Thor, as he's been around for a few thousand thus far. A simple two-page splash with narration conveys quite a bit of depth to the titular character. It's a nice subtlety that many creators lack.

As far as the MCU is concerned, like others mentioned I'm a bit tired of it. I wish it had ended with Endgame (a film I didn't like). It's the one advantage the films have, being able to tell a story from beginning to end, instead of over-saturating the universe. For Thor specifically, I did not like the direction they took the character in after Ragnarok was released. Not a fan of slapstick fratboy Thor.
    Good thing you're in minority with that opinion. The MCU does a fantastic job with beginnings, middles, and ends, and it's only going to continue with new characters.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I get the rock complaint and the memes behind it, but I doubt people are making memes of Thor's 2 year battle because he was pierced by weapons we don't even know what they are, if anything, you should ignore and feel sorry for those people making the memes because they feel so threatened by Thor's power and popularity and that he is more notorious than their favorite character that they jump at the slightest chance to undersell him.
    Since when was Thor popular, Infinity War aside?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Have we forgotten the plot already?

Big G isn't eating any regular old planets. He's feasting on planets that Silver Surfer hid from him, for fear of Galactus growing too powerful.

So I doubt those were just regular aliens
    There is no reason to think, based off the dialogue in the preview for issue three, that that flashback to an epic battle Thor has long forgot has anything to do with the hidden planets. It seems to exist to juxtapose with the upcoming battle with Bill that Thor "will remember for all the days to come".