Page 60 of 179 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

IMG_20200406_234708.jpg About to start reading my first Thor comic!

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    IMG_20200406_234708.jpg About to start reading my first Thor comic!
    That's the omnibus of the Walt Simonson run right? Its a very good run but i hate when people think Thor doesn't have any interesting runs Beyond that.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably one of the few, if only, times Jane came off as arrogant from a negative perspective, although unlike with OG!Thor it didn't feel like they dwelled on it that long.
    Because Jane is Aaron's waifu, as we said many times before. And the horse's dead body is still warm enough for us to keep beating.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Couldnt agree more. Classic Thor alone was marvel's premier powerhouse, it just seems in earlier issues of Thor, Thor was a thinking fighter who relied as much on strategy...and esoterics... to deal with some of his less physical opponents. And whatever happened to Thor with even some measure of reaction speed? I mean, it stands to reason that someone of vast superhuman strength will be able to over come the bounds of gravity and inertia much more quickly than an average human. Yet, time and again, Thor is presented as "the Slowdinson". I hate that.
    I just remembered this Stan Lee interview.

BANNED

The Slowdinson thing wasn't born out of nowhere. Like i am a fan of guys like Thor and Hulk way more than someone like Superman but i can tell you for a fact neither are remotely as fast as Superman. A few years ago there were some Thor fans on another site that would legit argue that Thor is as fast if not faster than Superman, this pissed off the rest of the forums so people started collecting all the scenes where Thor gets trounced in speed by everyone from other powerhouses to random monsters to bricks to even street tier characters and believe me there were a ton of feats like that, so the Slowdinson meme was born, it didn't come out of nowhere it was brought upon by overly enthusiastic Thor fans, let's put it that way.

With that said i would like to see Thor get an amp maybe in speed, maybe in some other way that's PERMANENT, this crap of him getting the Odin Force or power cosmic literally cheapens every accomplishment he has for me, i hate outside amps that last a few issues. Which is why i am not too pleased with current cosmic Thor(although in retrospect i do understand given the threat they are facing), but maybe instead of giving him all this, Cates could have presented a way for Thor to lets say access "lightning mode" where he encases his whole body in lightning and he quite literally becomes lightning fast in reflexes and combat in general.

Untitled.jpg

That way he doesn't have access to this kind of speed 100% of the time which is why you can still have him brawl it out with bricks or slower characters like that but when he fights Surfer or some other herald or speedsters you can have him access this mode and legit keep up with them. It's strange to me that it's a theme for Superman to get a completely new power every decade or so(last one was solar flare), for Hulk to get an amp that permanently boosted his strength and now has immortality(which is confirmed to be permanent part of him since the very beginning, he got the ability to absorb gamma from others, his regeneration is boosted, he can smell lies, etc...) but Thor has only regressed in terms of abilities since his classic days. It's time for a writer to step up the plate, he is a god he has as much if not more excuse to showcase new abilities over other powerhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    The Slowdinson thing wasn't born out of nowhere. Like i am a fan of guys like Thor and Hulk way more than someone like Superman but i can tell you for a fact neither are remotely as fast as Superman. A few years ago there were some Thor fans on another site that would legit argue that Thor is as fast if not faster than Superman, this pissed off the rest of the forums so people started collecting all the scenes where Thor gets trounced in speed by everyone from other powerhouses to random monsters to bricks to even street tier characters and believe me there were a ton of feats like that, so the Slowdinson meme was born, it didn't come out of nowhere it was brought upon by overly enthusiastic Thor fans, let's put it that way.

With that said i would like to see Thor get an amp maybe in speed, maybe in some other way that's PERMANENT, this crap of him getting the Odin Force or power cosmic literally cheapens every accomplishment he has for me, i hate outside amps that last a few issues. Which is why i am not too pleased with current cosmic Thor(although in retrospect i do understand given the threat they are facing), but maybe instead of giving him all this, Cates could have presented a way for Thor to lets say access "lightning mode" where he encases his whole body in lightning and he quite literally becomes lightning fast in reflexes and combat in general.

Untitled.jpg

That way he doesn't have access to this kind of speed 100% of the time which is why you can still have him brawl it out with bricks or slower characters like that but when he fights Surfer or some other herald or speedsters you can have him access this mode and legit keep up with them. It's strange to me that it's a theme for Superman to get a completely new power every decade or so(last one was solar flare), for Hulk to get an amp that permanently boosted his strength and now has immortality(which is confirmed to be permanent part of him since the very beginning, he got the ability to absorb gamma from others, his regeneration is boosted, he can smell lies, etc...) but Thor has only regressed in terms of abilities since his classic days. It's time for a writer to step up the plate, he is a god he has as much if not more excuse to showcase new abilities over other powerhouses.
    I like that lightning mode idea.

And yes, if Hulk can get permanent upgrades why can't Thor?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I like that lightning mode idea.

And yes, if Hulk can get permanent upgrades why can't Thor?
    Hulk's an anti-hero, that's why

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hulk's an anti-hero, that's why
    I don't get why being a anti-hero makes you stronger.

BANNED

jane foster had lightning fast speed when she operated with strange so fast the scalpels were melting
    thor could learn it from her

interestingly, they could've done a better job balancing jane. Made her weaker, but her knowledge of anatomy and physiology allowed her to use lightning in a way that augmented nerve transmission speeds to be faster than thor.

it doesn't. Like batman's the antihero to superman's hero, the punisher's just a highly skilled guy with guns etc.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 04-07-2020 at 05:20 PM.

That's the omnibus of the Walt Simonson run right? Its a very good run but i hate when people think Thor doesn't have any interesting runs Beyond that.
    Uncle Walt's run was still quite seminal. But, yes, there were other excellent runs. Stan and Jack (probably on par with Fantastic Four and Dr. Strange in the 60's), Roy Thomas/Buscema/Pollard, and Dan Jurgens.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Uncle Walt's run was still quite seminal. But, yes, there were other excellent runs. Stan and Jack (probably on par with Fantastic Four and Dr. Strange in the 60's), Roy Thomas/Buscema/Pollard, and Dan Jurgens.
    I really enjoyed Tom Defalco's run before Eric became Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    jane foster had lightning fast speed when she operated with strange so fast the scalpels were melting
    thor could learn it from her
    LOL
    More like she should have learned it from him.

Don't even mention that Hero Sue here.

Ultimate Member

Because heroes are the underdog. They need enemies bigger/more powerful than themselves

Hulk is an anti-hero. So part of the dramatic tension is what he will do to the world around him, like Spectre.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    LOL
    More like she should have learned it from him.

Don't even mention that Hero Sue here.
    I think bashing Jane for being Aaron's waifu will never be a dead horse, especially with Love & Thunder coming up.

Thanos is supposed to be a cosmic and mystical character and an hard opponent to beat. I have no issue with him holding his ground against powerful heroes and villains unless they have a major anp.

The real issue is that Starlin's Thanos Is a more intelligent and multilayered character compared to the thuggish idiot who jumps in front of a reality warper with no plan and says something moronic. That's my main gripe with non-starlin Thanos, not his powers. Would you like if your favorite grey villain gets reduced to a dimwitted brute and saturday morning cartoon villain? You made a valid point about Starlin's protective nature of Thanos and Warlock and some ego in his more recent stuff. But you also need to understand where i (and Thanos fans) an coming from. Thanos is supposed to be a smart scientist with a particular voice.

Starlin really was the guy that got me into Marvel comics beyond Spider-Man and Thor and Captain America, my cousin had the tpb of his 70s run of Adam Warlock and his big event comics and honestly the contrasting between Adam Warlock's existentialism to Thanos' nihilism in regards to his greater themes of cosmic hippies was great to reread after reading existentialist authors and philosophers like Sarte, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky and Camus (even though he never considered himself an existentialist) and see the arrogance, introspectional monologues and angst of his characters in regards to the events in his comics. I have alot of respect for him despite some of his tropes.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-10-2020 at 07:20 AM.