Page 107 of 179 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Why didn't it happen?
    AFAIK, Simonson and editorial had differing views on what direction to take. Maybe one of the moderators can give a better explanation on this subject.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-11-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Made Corrections.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Why didn't it happen?
    According to Simonson himself in Modern Masters Vol. 8: Walter Simonson:

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Masters Vol. 8: Walt Simonson
    Q: Why did you stop working on the book?

A: Marvel was gradually becoming a different place to work. I found more of my energy seemed to be spent dealing with office politics and stuff that was going on around Marvel than went into the comic. I didn't feel I could direct enough of my creative energy into the book and do the kind of stories I wanted to do and make them as good as I wanted. I had been on the book three-and-a-half years and thought the time had come to step out.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I don't love the way Coipel draws Thor's face, but other than that... yeah, absolutely top artist.
    Yeah, he looks like Orion of the New Gods without the glamour.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Nope, that's not the one.

Anyway, regarding the story, as an elseworlds and imagining this isn't Marvel's I guess it's good, but as the characters from Marvel we've known over the years, this was really bad characterization for Thor, Odin and Amora, painfully bad characterization.
    We all know that Fraction started the trend of writing the asgardians as falstaffian boors with a potty mouth in order to make them more gritty like the old vikings.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

All-New Member

How has Cates’/Cates’s? run on Thor been received in general so far, bearing in mind it’s only been 4 issues, so early days?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    How has Cates’/Cates’s? run on Thor been received in general so far, bearing in mind it’s only been 4 issues, so early days?
    Its early yet, but...

For me personally,

+s: power levels. Thor + power cosmic from Galactus + Odin force = pretty effing cool

-s: mischaracterization in terms of how Thor (for example) deals with former peers, heralds. He was a total dick. Which means Cates has only read back as far as Fractions Thor or, he likes that version of Thor and is running with it.

Right now, I'm just happy Cates has loaded Thor with "holy **** muffins" loads of power...from my perspective, I'm really, really happy about that as I've watched Thor fall from Marvels "top dog" perch to a B list loser a'la Wonder Man.

So really, depends on what you're into.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Its early yet, but...

For me personally,

+s: power levels. Thor + power cosmic from Galactus + Odin force = pretty effing cool

-s: mischaracterization in terms of how Thor (for example) deals with former peers, heralds. He was a total dick. Which means Cates has only read back as far as Fractions Thor or, he likes that version of Thor and is running with it.

Right now, I'm just happy Cates has loaded Thor with "holy **** muffins" loads of power...from my perspective, I'm really, really happy about that as I've watched Thor fall from Marvels "top dog" perch to a B list loser a'la Wonder Man.

So really, depends on what you're into.
    I mean, I'm happy that Thor is powerful again but I wish writers would start writing him like himself again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I'm happy that Thor is powerful again but I wish writers would start writing him like himself again.
    This. It really bothers me that they've changed Thor's character in ways I feel betrays what he was always about.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No arguments from me, but...baby steps I guess right? I mean, let's face it, Thor has been dragged through the mud for some time now.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

who are the new villains in the new storylines? I hope new people are introduced. I also hope that the status as a herald of Galactus runs its course sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who are the new villains in the new storylines? I hope new people are introduced.
    No one just quite yet.

I also hope that the status as a herald of Galactus runs its course sooner rather than later.
    You might be surprised as to how he is reacting in his new role.
    ----------------------

BANNED

Cates' run has been pretty good so far, some mischaracterization on Thor's personality, but other than that it's been pretty good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Back when Thor was the only Avenger who can hold his own against a mindless Hulk.

Looked like Thor had it in hand tbh

At no point did he look beaten imo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Cates' run has been pretty good so far, some mischaracterization on Thor's personality, but other than that it's been pretty good.
    Agree with people's general views here,

Good displays and he's clearly not a loser anymore in terms of fighting

His character is still well off for me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Looked like Thor had it in hand tbh

At no point did he look beaten imo
    I think it was pretty even, Thor was also specifically not holding back but it didn't seem like anything could put down Mindless Hulk, the interesting part is according to Thor, Hulk could have killed him if he hit him with that adamantium statue.