Page 108 of 179 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Looked like Thor had it in hand tbh

At no point did he look beaten imo
    Yes, ended in a draw.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yes, ended in a draw.
    The majority of the Thor/Hulk fights end with a draw or a stalemate.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The majority of the Thor/Hulk fights end with a draw or a stalemate.
    In the early days, absolutely. In the De Falco era is when we started seeing Hulk gain the edge in raw physical strength, because y'know, De Falco right?

To his credit, Busiek appeared to write Thor a tad closer in strength to Hulk, or at least, create that appearance. His clear narration in Hulk Annual though was that Thor was more powerful.

Recently however (Cronus sheds a tear), Thor was utterly stomped by Immortal Hulk, to the tune of a cracked skull and a broken tooth. Dude...was literally one shotted. Captain America actually had to protect him. It was the most shameful Hulk vs Thor I've ever read.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

In the early days, absolutely. In the De Falco era is when we started seeing Hulk gain the edge in raw physical strength, because y'know, De Falco right?

To his credit, Busiek appeared to write Thor a tad closer in strength to Hulk, or at least, create that appearance. His clear narration in Hulk Annual though was that Thor was more powerful.

Recently however (Cronus sheds a tear), Thor was utterly stomped by Immortal Hulk, to the tune of a cracked skull and a broken tooth. Dude...was literally one shotted. Captain America actually had to protect him. It was the most shameful Hulk vs Thor I've ever read.
    Al Ewing is a saint when it comes to Hulk and Marvel Cosmic but he really doesn't care about Thor.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Al Ewing is a saint when it comes to Hulk and Marvel Cosmic but he really doesn't care about Thor.
    I was discussing this showing on another thread here, and another member described it as "firmly in the Thor jobbers epoch", in essence. I guess I always thought only Aaron had that kind of disdain for Thor, but evidently not so. Shame.
    ----------------------

BANNED

Guys... Aaron is not the first or unfortunately the last writer that will lowbal or job Thor... Thor has jobbed over the many decades since his Stan Lee days when Stan had him get KO'd by a mortar shell from the Vietnam war, there are plenty of writers out there even today that will have him job or lowbal him for the sake of plot and the same is true for every super hero out there, in Thors case it was particularly bad because it was one of those rare occasions where a writer who is in charge of his series was the one doing most of the lowballing. Usually when a character jobs they do so when guest starring in another book or when they are part of team books, Thor had the misfortune to have Aaron write both his main series and the Avengers book. Hulk on the other hand is currently lucky since Ewing has shown great respect and love for the character both lore wise and power wise where he has stated the reason he had him beat Thor is because he wanted to make the "strongest one there is" statement a fact. Now if Hulk was written by someone like Slott for instance he would be probably in the same boat, since Slott tends to have Hulk job whenever he writes him like the time he had him lose to Ironman and in recent years to Thing, it all depends on who is writing who, i would suspect with Cates on the main book, Thors jobbing days are over although considering Cates isn't great at understanding power levels we will still have occasional weird moments like Thor getting dropped with a rock which just shouldn't happen.

I would disagree in general. Thors last shining moments were in Fear Itself and Siege. His downward descent began when De Falco took over as EIC. I would also argue that his showing in the JLA/Avengers crossover was a slap in the face to Thor fans. Thx Joe Quesada for green lighting that one. Jim Shooter may have been a douche bag to staff, but at least he was loyal to Thor.

I would also argue a rock is not the Hulk. There is a difference in PIS moments in comic books and consistent displays of power levels. In Thors instance, Thor has been on a consistent downward spiral, particularly since Aaron wrote Thor. He's petty and childish. I would appreciate it if he took his childish disdain and plugged into another character that isnt Thor.
    Last edited by Cronus; 06-15-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    ----------------------

BANNED

I would disagree in general. Thors last shining moments were in Fear Itself and Siege. His downward descent began when De Falco took over as EIC. I would also argue that his showing in the JLA/Avengers crossover was a slap in the face to Thor fans. Thx Joe Quesada for green lighting that one. Jim Shooter may have been a douche bag to staff, but at least he was loyal to Thor.

I would also argue a rock is not the Hulk. There is a difference in PIS moments in comic books and consistent displays of power levels. In Thors instance, Thor has been on a consistent downward spiral, particularly since Aaron wrote Thor. He's petty and childish. I would appreciate it if he took his childish disdain and plugged into another character that isnt Thor.
    That's just factually untrue, as bad as Aaron is he wrote God Butcher which was amazing in both story and feats for Thor and more recently he wrote the mini with Old King Thor where he beat Gorr who according to Aaron was an entire multiverse at that point. Things are not just black and white.

No, it will always be more humiliating to lose to another character than get humbled by some random object, that doesn't mean people wont meme the hell out of it and i have seen people meme the rock thing more than i ever wanted to.

I was discussing this showing on another thread here, and another member described it as "firmly in the Thor jobbers epoch", in essence. I guess I always thought only Aaron had that kind of disdain for Thor, but evidently not so. Shame.
    Where Is this thread?

Jobbers epoch?

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That's just factually untrue, as bad as Aaron is he wrote God Butcher which was amazing in both story and feats for Thor and more recently he wrote the mini with Old King Thor where he beat Gorr who according to Aaron was an entire multiverse at that point. Things are not just black and white.

No, it will always be more humiliating to lose to another character than get humbled by some random object, that doesn't mean people wont meme the hell out of it and i have seen people meme the rock thing more than i ever wanted to.
    ''It was a big rock.''
    -Killer Croc

for those wondering if Valkyrie comic is cancelled

https://twitter.com/gronbekk/status/1272846257325776896
    Last edited by GodThor; 06-16-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    for those wondering if Valkyrie comic is cancelled

https://twitter.com/gronbekk/status/1272846257325776896
    Treatment of Sif checks out...

Guys... Aaron is not the first or unfortunately the last writer that will lowbal or job Thor... Thor has jobbed over the many decades since his Stan Lee days when Stan had him get KO'd by a mortar shell from the Vietnam war, there are plenty of writers out there even today that will have him job or lowbal him for the sake of plot and the same is true for every super hero out there, in Thors case it was particularly bad because it was one of those rare occasions where a writer who is in charge of his series was the one doing most of the lowballing. Usually when a character jobs they do so when guest starring in another book or when they are part of team books, Thor had the misfortune to have Aaron write both his main series and the Avengers book. Hulk on the other hand is currently lucky since Ewing has shown great respect and love for the character both lore wise and power wise where he has stated the reason he had him beat Thor is because he wanted to make the "strongest one there is" statement a fact. Now if Hulk was written by someone like Slott for instance he would be probably in the same boat, since Slott tends to have Hulk job whenever he writes him like the time he had him lose to Ironman and in recent years to Thing, it all depends on who is writing who, i would suspect with Cates on the main book, Thors jobbing days are over although considering Cates isn't great at understanding power levels we will still have occasional weird moments like Thor getting dropped with a rock which just shouldn't happen.
    Both you and Cronus are highlighting a trait that has gone by the wayside in recent decades, and that is editorial discipline. Inconsistencies with the character were not nearly as prevalent from the 60s-80s. Yes, to be sure, there are many more characters and books to oversee. But gradually since the 80s, the general decree from editorial staff has been "plot > character." Whereas before it was more about the titular character and character-driven stories. Modern writers use characters almost as a blank slate to craft their own story/plot. This is why there are so many inconsistencies and roller-coaster showings.

Where Is this thread?

Jobbers epoch?
    Apologies. I meant another poster was saying that Thors ass whipping by Immortal Hulk was part of a low showings era for Thor.
    ----------------------

I understand that much, but I wont applaud Aaron's rendition of Thor based on the few times he wrote Thor (Odinson) to shine. Most of what Aaron has written regarding Thor (Odinson) is outright garbage.

Sticks and stones. I can point to Hulk getting choked out by a snake...doesn't mean there's any validity to that showing does it? Only disingenuous debaters lowball like that. Where it hurts for me personally, is when debating the age old question, "who wins, Hulk or Thor?"

I'd dont know of too many that cant look at recent showdowns between the two and not draw the conclusion that Thor gets the **** kicked out of him by Hulk. The era of fan mail from each set of fans asking sincerely who would win is long over.
    ----------------------